Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

No,there staying away because the game is ball busting hard....simple as.;)

Actually I don't think the game is necessarily harder than most others, it just puts skill in other areas such as tactics. MW2 is still quite hard when you play it on certain levels, but all that's testing is reaction time.

on ps3...bunch of kids really....they do want the arcade sim....if there is such a thing...i though battlefield was realistic...as my former post has shown....this is what i have been looking for....the real deal besides being a marinein the real field..id like to do some more research...i love this already....

when did performance and graphics matter more than gameplay?

No performance - no gameplay. Sorry.

...the engine aint very optimized as said tho they have done well seeing what the game has archived.

I realy hate the AI warping tho thats a real crappy problem when I am trying to snipe at long range via me scope.

It's not unoptimised (i think it is), it just sux all the way :) And dumb, robotic AI is another issue. Apart from the poor performance, I think the game also loses much due to bad netcode and lack of the weapon view while running (you can see it only pressing alt key and moving yor mouse down).

The CPU isn't the only potential bottleneck. The motherboard itself can also be a problem if your CPU<>GPU bandwidth is being limited. If upgrading from 8800GTS to GTX260 didn't increase your performance, something is definitely wrong with your machine...

Something is definitely wrong with this game, and plz dont teach me what may be a bottleneck in my machine as I'm computer engineer. I've been testing new GPU on a few games (incl. BC2, MW2, GTAIV, DCS:Blackshark), and ArmA2 was the ONLY game with no FPS gain (tested on win7, vista and XP).

I wonder how Operation Arrowhead will perform on that "new generation engine", but I dont expect a lot.

Edited by funkee

It's not unoptimised (i think it is), it just sux all the way :) And dumb, robotic AI is another problem.

And now we wait for the counterargument saying how much more advanced the Arma 2 AI is in open environment than a corridor shooter AI. And that the quirky behavior is only realistic because the AI soldiers are stressed out by the combat environment.

And now we wait for the counterargument saying how much more advanced the Arma 2 AI is in open environment than a corridor shooter AI. And that the quirky behavior is only realistic because the AI soldiers are stressed out by the combat environment.

LOL, like the press says, there is no excuse for why so many issues yet remain in Arma 2, issues that have been present since OFP.

I have Never played OFP CWC so im speaking on what ive heard from others, but alot of these issues are things that should be higher priority.

AI pathfinding, and driving over bridges.

AI in general

AI warping and bodypart warping when giving hand signs

Collision detection issues/ lack of basic "newton" physics

Memory leaks and online instability

Z-fighting

Just a few that i could think of.

Everybody on earth should know by now that I would like to see 64bit support and some updated lighting shaders.

Arma 2 is Good but as it stands the AI is just poor in what it can do "dynamically" like the back of the box states.

Arma 2 is Good but as it stands the AI is just poor in what it can do "dynamically" like the back of the box states.

I think it´s not really poor in what it can do, what´s poor is how consistently it is doing it. In vanilla Arma 2, the AI way too often does stupid things that should´ve been avoidable. Many of those things are relics from OFP days (AI running over teammates, friendly fire issues, lack of foresight and survival instinct...)

Admittably, a lot of these are very likely hard to implement, but probably necessary to convince people that you can actually have decent open world AI. As for that, the AI is already decent, it´s just not being decent all the time.

I like that a lot of the press is rather positive, however, Arma 2 was received positively too, until the actual game was reviewed.

Let´s hope Arrowhead will be polished to mirror shine finish, instead of the rush-esque feel the original gave you upon release.

LOL. And because its not scripted, unlike in other FPS games :D

...you can do the same that has proven extremely healthy to us during development:

Dogs bark but the caravan goes on.

Now I might be wrong but I think you guys are the dogs in this.

I guess this is just a complaining thread now? No constructiveness to be found?

Funkee, if you dislike the game so much, and, apparently, don't play it anymore, then do us all a favor and leave so that we don't have to put up with your trolling.

The only troll I can see here is you sir. The topic is "Why is this game not more popular?", so stop spamming and posting OT.

I think it´s not really poor in what it can do, what´s poor is how consistently it is doing it.

This is my thoughts on it. If you set up scenarios with the AI commanding themselves around it's actually quite brilliant to watch, and most of the time they won't do anything to stupid, but put a player in the mix and suddenly the AI have their brains removed.

If you're just a member in a squad then it's actually pretty good, except for the AI constantly running through your LOS causing friendly fire.

Then if you put yourself in command of the squad suddenly it's a case of a removed brain. Sure they're smart enough to hit the dirt, but unless you tell them to stay down, the moment the fire stops you'll often have them stand up and look the opposite direction while they take a shot to the back of the head.

I've always said that what Arma 2 squad control is lacking is the ability to tell the AI to operate on their own as if they still had an AI squad leader, but they still respond to your command.

It's basic AI management without the need for micro-management (Target that man, go prone, danger, etc).

Other than that, the bounding overwatch the AI does with the buddy system is excellent, if you didn't have to hear about it every 2 seconds, "Go! I'm covering", (thank god for ACE)

LOL, like the press says, there is no excuse for why so many issues yet remain in Arma 2, issues that have been present since OFP.

AI pathfinding, and driving over bridges.

AI in general

AI warping and bodypart warping when giving hand signs

Collision detection issues/ lack of basic "newton" physics

Memory leaks and online instability

Z-fighting

the game is still great,the potential is infinite and is the only credible simulative FPS on the market.i have no doubts about these considerations

but we should also admit that some problems persists from ofp times...

guys we are just trying to focalize the game problems to allow depelovers to create a better game.and the point of the discussion is "why is this game is not more popular?".

and sincerely is not possible to being called "troll" just because we have made in evidence the game problems.i could be wrong but i don't have seen trolls on this thread at the moment.

The only troll I can see here is you sir. The topic is "Why is this game not more popular?", so stop spamming and posting OT.

Yes, the AI issues may be what make it not popular. But there's a difference between your replies and say, Bulldogs' on the previous page. He actually is constructive about it, whereas you just whine. And you've been whining for a while, in various threads with various other posts.

True, so why have you turned it into a "Why i hate ArmA 2" thread :confused:

Dogs bark but the caravan goes on.

I thought that was the CM way of dealing with community feedback, not BIS :butbut:

While the AI's problems create a lot of issues with the game and a lot of things that simply can't be done mission-design-wise, I highly doubt that's the main reason this game is not popular. I don't think any other game has AI that is actually better. All my hate towards the Arma 2 AI is not really specific for the Arma 2 AI but more towards AI in general. I think the other issues brought up in this thread (online playability, lack of PvP, difficulty of controls especially around buildings, hardware requirements) have a much much more significant role in making this game less popular.

I thought that was the CM way of dealing with community feedback, not BIS :butbut:

The keyword is FEEDBACK, most of the stuff posted is not feedback but pure bitching. No matter what BIS does there will ALWAYS be somebody bitching about something!

Unfortunately, that's just human nature JW. Complaining is much easier than helping and/or praising. :rolleyes:

While the AI's problems create a lot of issues with the game and a lot of things that simply can't be done mission-design-wise, I highly doubt that's the main reason this game is not popular. I don't think any other game has AI that is actually better. All my hate towards the Arma 2 AI is not really specific for the Arma 2 AI but more towards AI in general. I think the other issues brought up in this thread (online playability, lack of PvP, difficulty of controls especially around buildings, hardware requirements) have a much much more significant role in making this game less popular.

The latest beta patch is meant to address a lot of the online issues (connection issues and such) but I haven't tested it myself yet, and it looks like interacting with buildings has been reworked a lot for OA, as well the terrain should improve performance in OA (but won't know til we fully test it). Let's just hope there's some good PvP support.

I think this thread holds some of the most informative feedback, and as you notice, BIS are watching this thread. It would be good if all the junk was filtered out so we could all see the useful information people have posted and maybe add some tweaks to it.

This is my thoughts on it. If you set up scenarios with the AI commanding themselves around it's actually quite brilliant to watch, and most of the time they won't do anything to stupid, but put a player in the mix and suddenly the AI have their brains removed.

If you're just a member in a squad then it's actually pretty good, except for the AI constantly running through your LOS causing friendly fire.

Then if you put yourself in command of the squad suddenly it's a case of a removed brain. Sure they're smart enough to hit the dirt, but unless you tell them to stay down, the moment the fire stops you'll often have them stand up and look the opposite direction while they take a shot to the back of the head.

I've always said that what Arma 2 squad control is lacking is the ability to tell the AI to operate on their own as if they still had an AI squad leader, but they still respond to your command.

It's basic AI management without the need for micro-management (Target that man, go prone, danger, etc).

Other than that, the bounding overwatch the AI does with the buddy system is excellent, if you didn't have to hear about it every 2 seconds, "Go! I'm covering", (thank god for ACE)

That's true, but i found that those problems are more apparent with commanding larger squads. When using small squads those problems are almost non-existent. I also found that when dividing a large squad up into smaller fireteams and move them around as teams they do tend to be less quirky.

On a sidenote is it possible to use the "no voice" feature of ACE2 without using ACE2?

There's at least one standalone radio silence mod, but can't remember the name of it. Just search the mod forums for "radio" or "chatter" and you should find it.

Twice a week I play online coop with up to 20 players. I don't think any other game can come even close to what Arma has to offer. Once you experience true teamplay and tactics, it's hard to think about playing other typical FPS, wich are too fastpaced and nervous for my age anyhow.

In single player I'd recommend using VAC.Since a couple of guys posted their profiles, I've been trying those out and although sp wasn't what I bought the game for, it's starting to become very appealing due to the ease with wich you can command your team around! Works beautifully! Gets you suddenly interested in working with the editor, wich opens up a whole new dimension to the game.

The two games that I continue to play through the years (I've played many more, but these I always come back to) have been buggy since release. But maybe that's due to the scope of the game. It certainly hasn't stopped me from enjoying the best games I've had so far. And although this isn't WoW, there always seems to be a good amount of players online at any time, atleast for my liking.

I'm a jazz fan and musician. Arguably, these days it's not the most popular style of music. But (when I'm good financially) I'll take a jazz gig over anything,even if it pays less money. Bad comparison maybe, but I feel the same way about Arma!

:dancehead: