Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

It doesnt really matter how old the base is as long as you are able to update it ;)

You're right, but if I change my graphics card from 8800 GTS to GTX 260, and I get 0 - max 1 fps gain (I got 4GHz CPU so it's not a bottleneck), I can say only one thing about this engine: horrible. ArmA will never be a great game witch such poor performance even on modern hardware.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=16997&page=16

40 fps on GTX 480 and Radeon 5870 OC'd? LOL! Now tell me that's due to large areas and because this is a sim (with one-click locking on target). :)

Edited by funkee

ArmA will never be a great game witch such poor performance even on modern hardware.

Too bad its already a great game... :rolleyes:

You're right, but if I change my graphics card from 8800 GTS to GTX 260, and I get 0 - max 1 fps gain (I got 4GHz CPU so it's not a bottleneck), I can say only one thing about this engine: horrible.

Weird that i got a super boost going from 8800GTS to GTX275 then... Raised all settings from normal/low to high all over plus stepped up in resolution and still get better FPS than before.

Think your a bit over dramatic.

You're right, but if I change my graphics card from 8800 GTS to GTX 260, and I get 0 - max 1 fps gain (I got 4GHz CPU so it's not a bottleneck)

The CPU isn't the only potential bottleneck. The motherboard itself can also be a problem if your CPU<>GPU bandwidth is being limited. If upgrading from 8800GTS to GTX260 didn't increase your performance, something is definitely wrong with your machine, no matter how you spin it.

Lol, kids these days (and this is coming from a 17 year-old). Since when did performance and graphics matter more than gameplay? Most of the PS1 games looked crap, played at a low FPS, but many were still classics in their own rights. Even games on the Nintendo 64 were the same. Heck, OFP was the same at it's time of release. If you think performance is stopping Arma 2 from being a great game, then you need to find a different game.

It's a reaccuring theme. "I have bad performance with ArmA 2, ergo everyone has bad performance with ArmA 2"

Which kind of ignores the fact that many people don't have performance issues. I was able to run everything on med-high (anti-aliasing disabled) on a 9800 GT, with an e7300 at acceptable frame rates (60 fps in low detailed areas, 45 in medium areas, 22 in high detailed/heavy AI areas), but I still upgraded to a Q9400 and a 5850 and now I run perfect maxxed out in almost any situation (can't run fine with 1200 AI fighting in one spot, wonder why :j:)

In other words, not saying the problem doesn't exist, also not saying that the problem isn't due to a bad engine, or optimisation, or whatever way you want to sell it, just saying that not everyone suffers.

Lets say some fanboys can't accept that Arma2 itself could be much better and more optimized, improved and bug-fixed. ;)

hehehe I see my self as one of the biggest OFP,ARMA and ARMA2 fan boys hehe tbh I think I drive me mates crazy going on about it.

BUT I can all so say it need to be improved as tbh the engine aint very optimized as said tho they have done well seeing what the game has archived.

I realy hate the AI warping tho thats a real crappy problem when I am trying to snipe at long range via me scope.

Ai warping isnt due to bad performance is it? Thaught that was due to netcode not being the best. There is that other "warping" or limiting animations when units jump out of vehicles, but i read on DH that this might be solved in OA.

MP warping is an immersion killer though, and i dont know if it can be fixed thanks to the massiveness of the game. When there isnt a lot of stuff going on it works pretty good, but most of the times sitting cargo of any vehicle that someone drives fast it always warps and it breaks the illusion of being there.

Anyway. These things never made me stop playing the best game on the planet. With faults and all.

As long as I've not seen another engine doing what.... half the scale available in A2? I'll refrain from pointing too much fingers on BI's engine about ongoing bugs and limitations. Not that it doesn't annoy me no end, but I don't think we have much clue about the specifics such a scale is bringing to a normal FPS engine.

So... Optimized? How, what needs to be optimized, etc... very easy word to throw out.

Ai warping isnt due to bad performance is it? Thaught that was due to netcode not being the best. There is that other "warping" or limiting animations when units jump out of vehicles, but i read on DH that this might be solved in OA.

MP warping is an immersion killer though, and i dont know if it can be fixed thanks to the massiveness of the game. When there isnt a lot of stuff going on it works pretty good, but most of the times sitting cargo of any vehicle that someone drives fast it always warps and it breaks the illusion of being there.

Anyway. These things never made me stop playing the best game on the planet. With faults and all.

Hi yes you are correct im sorry net code i knew it was some thing hehe.

Dont get me wrong I play it every chance I get still and tbh I think im addicted to the bloody game (damn you BIS).

but I all ways play as sniper and tbh makes it all most impossible to be efficient at long ranges on slow moving targets when needed.

All so I have seen that when AI disembark they seem to warp like mad like you say some kind of missing animation etc and NO it is not my pc :P

And just like magic a bunch of silly bickering comments vanished as if they were never posted in the beginning, so let's keep it like that please, if the topic inflames to such an extent it's not possible to discuss without abusing each other I'd suggest a different thread :)

And just like magic a bunch of silly bickering comments vanished as if they were never posted in the beginning, so let's keep it like that please, if the topic inflames to such an extent it's not possible to discuss without abusing each other I'd suggest a different thread :)

thx but plz you should cool down that guy... he's not even able to completely undertand the sense of the worlds,"to fool people" doesn't mean that people is fool in english,and he call me fool for that...i can even forgive his ignorance but he should try to stay more queit because he has offended me for no reason :)

^^ My comment wasnt based on that post alone. And you know that. Running to "daddy" when i come back at you is really weak.

Stk2008:

Yeah long range fighting makes it very hard a lot of the times and maybe its improved in OA. But it will be nice to see if the other animation loss after exit vehicles is improved. This is one thing that some didnt like with ARMA and might be another thing adding up to abandoning it.

All so I have seen that when AI disembark they seem to warp like mad like you say some kind of missing animation etc and NO it is not my pc :P

I think that issue was introduced with path 1.05, it's probably fixed with OA :)

^^ My comment wasnt based on that post alone. And you know that. Running to "daddy" when i come back at you is really weak.

a "daddy" is always needed when there are such rude guys on the net

or every forum will turn on the troll's paradise in a second :rolleyes:

probably you don't have understand my last post which was deleted togheter with your reply.

here a little summary:

i've exposed some bugs present from opf times removed with ofp patches and reappeared with arma 1 and even arma 2.so my consideration was:"no way why the hell BIS do that,is time to stop to fool people"

and you told me "i'm afraid you are the fool here".probably you don't know that if you say"to fool people" it doesn't mean people is fool(fool as synonymous of stupid). in this case fool is a synonymous of mislead,trick,cheat,deceive..

hope you have understand ;)

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

Missed all that but since my post was deleted just want to say sorry if I inflamed anyone, but doubt I did, more likely it was just deleted with the rest.

Anyways, back to it. Why is this game not more popular... Or have we been over every reason?

Well maybe it's the PvP folks that think this game is not popular, i play coop and find it popular enough :)

I don't know, I find it rather impossible to find a server outside of community-pre-organized playing sessions.

I don't know, I find it rather impossible to find a server outside of community-pre-organized playing sessions.

I can find a populated coop server anytime, how the experience on that server turns out is another story.

Well, I meant one that isn't Domination/Evolution/Warfare.

Well thats a popular game type/mode :)

May i remind you guys that not everyone is playing this game online! There are a lot of people playing this only on LAN with friends or only singleplayer. Then there is a ton of people playing in the editor or making addons. The fact that there are not a lot of PVP servers is not an indication that this game is not popular. It just is not a PVP oriented game. I played a couple of CTF games in OFP and every game ended "0 - 0". You know why? Because nobody could get within 50 meters of the enemy flag! It was boring as hell.

There are a couple of reasons why this game is not very popular.

1. It is a niche game. It's not for the dumb shooter fans.

2. In these times all the hype and money is on consoles and dumb shooters.

3. The publishers are not well known everywhere. There are a couple of stores where i live and none of them have ArmA 2 in store or ever heard of it. Now i know one or two city's is not a statistic but in comparison there were 20 copy's of CODMW2 on display when it came out.

Not sure that will entice folk who have been put off, yes its a nice addition but people are not staying away due to lack of automated map placement tools...