Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

If I were BIS, I wouldn't exactly care about what a pirate thought of my product, or worry about how much my copy protection was limiting his use of the stolen product.

We don't :)

I already did say this is probably one of the last items of the long list of reasons of why this game isn't more popular, but it's still on the list ;)

At the end, the #1 thing this game needs, by far, is easier access for new players. Not gameplay-wise, but technically-wise. Us who already got everything handled can't objectively judge how hard/easy it is to get things going, and the fact is that new players keep complaining they can't even start playing.

Try teamkilling in Evolution. ;)

I know. And thats the banana song!

_______

Why this game is not more popular?

1st, the player: Most of them nowadays don´t want to\CAN´T read instructions or TRY to LEARN how to play. ArmA NEEDS that, for just to play the game or to manage mods. All they want now is a quick in\out game, with easy\no learning curve, like an adrenaline shot.

Also, most of them don´t see the "big picture" of what Arma CAN be, what situations it delivers, what it have thats so special for US. So they just 1/20 of the game, the buggy, bad performanced and boring part of the game, then skip it.

2nd, the game itself: Performance isn´t a major problem, there are many video options and configurations (althought, in Low, the game is ugly). AI and Bugs has its moments, but they can´t destroy the whole thing.

I think that the big problem here is the "not user-friendly" structure of the game. We, veterans of OFP\Arma can handle that with no problem. For newcomers, is just a pain to even join a server because of the mods complications. Even with Yoma, which is a user-friendly tool. A proper\easy way to manage mods should be within the game since day 0.

That said, I can almost guarantee if you could sit for half an hour next to a complete new player at Arma, just the teach him the basic stuff (and manage everything to him), then throws him at some organizated event in one of the many tactical squads out there, he could see that "big picture", why we love this game.

Thats what I think. :j:

IT is still 50 bucks almost a year after release.

I'd like to get my friends in on this game but 50 bucks is too rich for their blood.

IT is still 50 bucks almost a year after release.

I'd like to get my friends in on this game but 50 bucks is too rich for their blood.

Just goes to show that it's still being sold in reasonable quantities, otherwise it would have been in the bargain bin long ago :D

It depends on the store though. I just checked, and I can order it for a price ranging anywhere from €15 to €40, and I imagine the same is true for pretty much anywhere else on the planet.

I already did say this is probably one of the last items of the long list of reasons of why this game isn't more popular, but it's still on the list ;)

At the end, the #1 thing this game needs, by far, is easier access for new players. Not gameplay-wise, but technically-wise. Us who already got everything handled can't objectively judge how hard/easy it is to get things going, and the fact is that new players keep complaining they can't even start playing.

What is needed on these and other similar Arma 2 forums is some kind of a "quick start" thread, written for the technically challenged and have it stickied.

Focus on initial setup, basic controls and getting started, include embedded youtube tutorials - all in ONE place. Over at the Ubisoft IL2 combat flight game forums Bearcat99 did just that, "The Nugget's Guide" or some such and it was/is incredibly helpful. I'd do it but I'm still just learning Arma2 myself.

If no one steps up then maybe in a few months when I'm more seasoned and can write about this with some semblence of credibility I'll try to.

FADE I think is the most genius solution to piracy out there.

anyways i think its fair to say that the epidemic of Attention defficit could be why so many people dont like to spend the week to learn how to play the game.

People just want run and gun/ no thinking required hop in hop out gameplay, none of which is Arma.

Shit to get into a MP game in arma 2 for me is a challenge, the mods, the server admins, timing out.

The things that hold arma 2 back the most is IMO, This game is the buggiest POS ive ever seen and or This game takes super computer (semi true if you're a PC owner from like 5 years ago and the strongest thing in your house is a toaster) to run well in the visuals are inferior to X game.

Not the This game takes a week to learn enough to be sufficient in.

Just my take anyways

The problem is most people won't even bother entering those forums. In fact most won't even know they exist. And currently you cannot get any help from the game due to how terrible the server browser is - you can just try to join a server and wonder why the hell you can't get in. The line in which the server gets to post any information is way too short for server admins to place any real useful information.

As for FADE, I agree it's genious on one hand, but on the other hand with a bit of extra effort they could've made it actually not make pirates think the game is terrible. After all, it would be much better to make the pirates realize that they *could* just buy the game and not have to go through all that trouble, but currently that kind of message will not come accross to them. You don't have to remove FADE to get that message across, just modify it a bit.

Nope, the anti-piracy system BIS uses is absolute lunacy.

Lets agree to disagree!

And as others said before people have the official demo to try before buy.

/KC

I think the point some people are getting at about FADE is not the idiot pirate it effects but who the idiot pirate effects with their slander.

I love FADE, 'cause you can deliberately mess up your files to activate it for a bit of fun when you're bored :)

The one problem I have is that I have seen many times around the net, even on legit gaming websites, people ranting on about how the game is so buggy and how you can't kill anyone 'cause the weapons are so inaccurate, even to the point that I've registered on random gaming websites to let people know that the one who's spouting this just is being effected by an anti-pirate system (and pissing a lot of people off by smearing their reputations, but I'd do that just for fun anyways).

Point being that maybe FADE could use something more obvious that let's the pirates know that they're effected by an anti-piracy system before they spread slander, but then again... who cares.

The one problem I have is that I have seen many times around the net, even on legit gaming websites, people ranting on about how the game is so buggy and how you can't kill anyone 'cause the weapons are so inaccurate, even to the point that I've registered on random gaming websites to let people know that the one who's spouting this just is being effected by an anti-pirate system (and pissing a lot of people off by smearing their reputations, but I'd do that just for fun anyways).

If people are so dumb they haven't yet figured out whats wrong i doubt they are able to even spread the word around how bad arma 2 is, did they miss all the videos on youtube etc with people having no problems :confused:

...did they miss all the videos on youtube etc with people having no problems :confused:

They are all BIS employees.

They are all BIS employees.

You could atleast have left a smiley to avoid making you sound silly ;)

Hi all

I think BIS laugh all the way to the bank on this one.

ArmA is still selling at the shops, on all download sites and the likes of amazon.

In fact was on the Game Shop shelf and still in the charts even after CM's DR had been minced up in the publishers shredders; despite being released 6 months earlier, and Game are still selling copies of ArmA II it is top of the none rescent releases shelf, even now a year after release. Heck they have not even put it in the bargain bucket yet!

Kind Regards walker

You could atleast have left a smiley to avoid making you sound silly ;)

I know sarcasm doesn't work well on the net, but I figured this was fairly obvious.

Besides, I like the serious context - something a smiley would ruin ;)

Perhaps something that might help "a little bit" was if BIS supplied a few templates for the editor, it might help ease people into it.

Arma's Wizard isn't bad, but it doesn't let you go to the editor and mess with it further, which limits the wizard somewhat.

The editor is brilliantly simple in many ways, but starting from scratch can be daunting nonetheless.

For instance, something as rudimentary as Task Objectives is suprisingly hard to do, when it really shouldn't be. Any mission released without them is considered a bit sub standard. And I consider myself pretty decent at scripting and such and I spent absolutely hours trying to figure it out (coop taskobj's is a bitch).

I know there are a potentially unlimited ways to make task-objectives, but supplying a template for each of the main play modes would not require BIS to part with an arm or leg I think.

And while I'm at it, things like the ability to select weapons and ammo for units and crates through lists instead of the init command line may prove to be very appealing to both newbies and veterans alike.

In other words: Polish.

Hi all

I think BIS laugh all the way to the bank on this one.

ArmA is still selling at the shops, on all download sites and the likes of amazon.

In fact was on the Game Shop shelf and still in the charts even after CM's DR had been minced up in the publishers shredders; despite being released 6 months earlier, and Game are still selling copies of ArmA II it is top of the none rescent releases shelf, even now a year after release. Heck they have not even put it in the bargain bucket yet!

Kind Regards walker

Which is evidence in iteself of how poorly the game does in keeping players who start. The game is continuously selling and having new players buy copies, yet the actual numbers of players at any given time is remarkably low and getting lower. Something is wrong here.

It is unfortunate, as this game is probably the best potential for good, team oriented player vs. player there is on the market right now, but BIS and the player community do nothing to encourage or market that (in fact much is done to fragment the community and make it harder to communicate or find PvP servers) and the results show.

We can only hope Arrowhead gives a new life to the game and at least a few servers to full in game comms, PvP and well admin'ed. A good few servers worth of player community is all it would take. As of now, there is nothing, as the sales vs. present player count shows.

I think, like some people mentioned, it's the lack of proper documentation.... especially for mainstream players. I'm a sim guy, and really give things a good go before giving up (including spending hours surfing the net, posting on forums, etc).

Even after all this, I still have no clue about major parts of this sim... like how to use the UAV support in a Secop/MyMission(Mission wizard) session.... with no apparent hope of getting answers in sight...

I can TOTALLY see a lot of people, mainstream especially, thinking 'I don't have a clue what's going on here! I can't figure out how to [something].... I keep getting killed! I can't get things to work!', and then gravitate towards games like Battlefield because the controls are pretty straightforward, and the documentation is complete. Yes, we know how to move, crouch, fire, tell squadmates to move or attack.... The manual explains it... The online guides explain it... The videos explain it... But, I find that all these resources seem to suddenly stop at a certain point, as if the other parts of the sim didn't exist (...Airstrikes, UAVs, for example).

I know that is my main issue with it. I'm still plugging away at it, trying to find answers or discover how things work myself... I'm sure many players are not that 'dedicated' (or patient)... And, like I said, I'm still uncertain of how to get many things working even AFTER hours of research and discussion on the boards.

The complexity of the sim.... plus the gaping holes in documentation.... and the merciless (real) difficulty of it (to those used to the Rambo scenarios) are a sure recipe to frustrate people and have them go to 'kinder, simpler' war 'simulations'.

I keep at it because I KNOW the stuff is there and it works (...I think?)... and I love the complexity and scope. I just somehow have to figure out how everyone else is managing to control/do things.... or if they are even doing it (...as there ARE some things that people have asked about, and the answer they get reveals that MANY other seasoned players simply 'gave up' on that aspect.... like, if I'm not mistaken, how to use the grenade launcher gauge thing on the rifle... which I know was one of the things I too asked about). What IS there, and what I HAVE figured out are great, and that's why I keep trying to uncover the secrets of how to control/use/understand the rest... But, many out there won't invest so much effort and time.... arguably rightfully so.

My 2 cents...

Edited by ladlon

No, not everything works, for example UAV doesn't really work as it should and the M203 sights don't work either unless you're firing at targets exactly 150m away.

In any case, an actually useful manual would definitely be a good thing, but the problem is that it wouldn't be anywhere near enough to get people into this game, as most of the real problems people are having are with user-made content, which means it relies on finding and understanding instructions written by users.

Along with the feeling of confusion, lack of control (of the battle, as well as of equipment, commands), etc... there's one other thing. The sad fact that much of today's generation seem obsessed with CONTINUOUS, ridiculously fast 'action' (be it in games or movies).

I personally can't get into many of these contemporary games where it's button mashing and a screen filled with fast moving 'action' and enough optical/pyro effects to permanently fry your retinas! To me, it's boring, ironicall... both in movies and games. Action is relative (to me)... so you need calm parts to make the action 'action'. Go full blast for the entire time, and you tend to just numb to it and/or become disinterested.

The concept can be seen with things like car chases... Classic ones like the one in Bullit and French Connection work really well because they are 'fast' and 'dangerous'.... but not so ridiculously fast and so ridiculously close (inhuman ability to maneuver the vehicle through spaces that are JUST big enough to squeeze through) as to 'lose you'. If they are too fast or precise, the viewer (being human) can't really react (in their mind) fast enough, and tends to 'take a back seat'... watching, rather than 'participating' (virtually steering in their mind, along with the driver)..... Slow it down a bit, and make the gaps reasonable, so that a human COULD actually process and react in time, and the viewer now actually 'drives along' with them... which is FAR more exciting. Ironically, slower (to a point) = more exciting!

</rant and essay>

So, that all said, I think that part of it is just that today's generation seems obsessed with 'stupidly fast' and mindless, continuous 'action'.... So, something like Arma2... where there are many moments of non-hyper action, realistically paced/non-hyper action... and (banish the thought) strategy and thought... would seem like watching paint dry to them.

....that, and they probably think there's not enough screen-filling, multi-coloured optical effects flying around and trailing behind everyone's movement.

Another 2 cents.... making my total tally 4 cents now.

I bought ARMA 2 at release and played it for about 3 weeks or so and haven't since.

#1. The bugs! Reading the forum this morning it seems alot has been addressed and thats a plus. However, the first week of having the game was spent troubleshooting and waiting for patches. It was a bit frustrating.

#2. The FPS. At the time i was on an e8400 o/c to 4.0, GTX 260 730/1600/1200, 4 gigs DDR2 pc-6400 , Windows Vista Ultimate and it was a struggle to get the game to play at a decent rate only hitting 10-15fps. I know the 260 wasn't the tops then but it was well below the performance of every other game i had including Crysis. Also frustrating.

#3. Online Play. Very few good servers at that time. Even when i found some to play in the hit reg was terrible.

#4 Communication. In game communication seemed lacking or nonexistent . Maybe it could have been due to not knowing exactly what to do but voice chat seemed MIA. I wont knock it for this becasue it may have been my error.

I liked the game overall and the gameplay style. I like action packed games but i also enjoy a game of patience and strategy. I was big on DF2 back in the day and hoped this game would feed my hunger for it again. It did but it didnt at the same time.

Having been away from Arma2 for so long i am ready to reinstall with the newest patches and drivers to see how it goes.

Also upgraded my rig since then:

Intel Core i5 750 oc'ed 4.2ghz

4 gigs Corsair Xm3 1600 DDR3

EVGA p55 SLI

Geforce GTX 260 OC SLI x2

WD Velicoraptor 10,000RPM

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

If i can hit 30-40 FPS with decent settings and view distance i will play ARMA2 again.

Yeah, another thing they could fix is the in-game voice. Sure they fixed the bugs that made it crash the game/server, but they didn't fix the fact that for a lot of people the volume of in-game chat is so low that you can't understand anything being said.

Yeah, another thing they could fix is the in-game voice. Sure they fixed the bugs that made it crash the game/server, but they didn't fix the fact that for a lot of people the volume of in-game chat is so low that you can't understand anything being said.

It's just impossible to please people with this kind of thing. Some people feel that being able to hear the radio loud and clear during a firefight is un-realistic and they complain, but then the other people complain that it isn't loud enough. Whatever BIS does, people will complain. BIS put some audio sliders into the options menu so you could adjust things to your liking....still people complain. *sigh*

I can't hear the radio when everything is all nice and quiet, and so can't many other people. When I can hear you fine when there is nothing else going on, we can discuss what should happen during a firefight.

This game is beautiful to look at and is a very good sim as well. So why isn't more popular? As it is now, I only play weekends because not many people are online during the week.

Is it because...

- poor marketing.

- AI in many multi player games?

- Lack of dedicated servers for online PvP games?

What do you think they could do to improve the low population online?..

- Dedicate servers.

- Develop a massive population server.

- Increase squad membership by hooding squad stats on the Arma site?

- Make it for realistic by adding true ballistics?

What do you guys think?

My views on why this game aint popular anymore is because it failed to capture somethink that ofp had. The first arma was domanated by coop servers and most of the c&h anf ctf clans disapeared and now the same has happened all over again in arma 2 which i saw coming.

I remember back during the time there was a huge choice of missions to play on ofp from dm,ctf,c&h,cti,coop

and it was like that for many years but on arma2 most servers are coop and warfare and a few c&h servers

I just think the whole way the slow paste controls/movments is more suited for coop and is why you dont see alot of servers playing pvp missions.

Even the dao berzerk admin said there was a time he could fill server with 150 players but these days it never go's over a 100

I host a ofp and arma 2 server and theres alot of people i know that dont play arma 2 but play on the xr ofp server daily and most of these players are veteran CTI and CTF players that rather play ofp then arma.

Even tho i play arma 2 now and again. i could easy go back to ofp but id never go back to the first arma and the same go's for arma 2 if arma 3 was out

Also lack of tournaments for clans on arma2 is a downside to. We used to play in http://www.ctitc.com/awf/index.php?id=413 and there was even a season 8 on ofp with 8 clans when arma was out due to lack of clans playing arma and now arma2 is going the same way.

Edited by brit~XR