Sign in to follow this  
f2k sel

Why remove deletecollection

Don't do this to us. The command is very useful and removing it will break many missions. If nothing else, alter the command so that it affects only the mission where it's executed, since the havoc mainly means that map objects stay deleted in other missions.

why fix what isn't broken?

Probably they become aware because of this bug.

Well thats a good bug find and everything but the problem is the way BIS just zaps the whole thing as a reaction to one specific problem. I hate CTD crash as much as anyone but it seems to be in the specific area of using with setvehicleinit and JIP.

For my uses it is run on objects that are spawned from scripts during the mission and the command is run on those objects as variables and not the hard objects of the map or on setvehicleinit.

It would be just as well to note that the command shouldnt be used in the specific case as referred to in that bug tracker. But in other uses the command seems totally safe. I just tested creating a target object then deletecollection it then spawn another of same object type and it worked fine. So I think the command is safe to use in scripts that are run at mission time on created objects, based on my testing. I can test with a local dedicated server at some point I guess......whatever.

I have used deleteCollection in many scripts. It would be a shame to see it go.

Examples include:

Invisible cobra mounted to top of truck to simulate bushmaster cannon

Invisible M119 mounted to C-130 to simulate AC-130

Making trees invisible/deleted at mission start for a custom map feel

Please reconsider.

I used this comand in one of myne scripts and in couple of cases i needed to restart A2. Im with Suma. Remove it!

As I said, remove the command, but create a new one with the same function: Delete one ore more LODs from a model.

Maybe deletecollection should link to the new command for backwards compatibility (EW is broken now hehe)

I used this comand in one of myne scripts and in couple of cases i needed to restart A2. Im with Suma. Remove it!

Maybe it wasn't the command's fault?

You've got to be kidding.

If you used it to remove a map object and then run the script again I believe it does cause a problem as it's trying to delete an object that no longer exists.

If you used it to remove a map object and then run the script again I believe it does cause a problem as it's trying to delete an object that no longer exists.

That's why you use it with a nearObjects [[],10] type trigger.

That's why you use it with a nearObjects [[],10] type trigger.

I still would rather have it and use it as I wish.

I see that hideObject got added, but maybe the value of the command can be increased a little bit, and make the syntax like setCaptive?

So for example, _unit hideObject bool

Sucks, just found out. I use this for my single player campaings. :mad:

Looks like a poor substitute, as it doesn't work for static objects. How are we going to remove map objects?

Wouldn't be the best solution to keep the function and its behaviour, so that it won't cause any scripts to break, but just repair the problem "behind the curtain", i.e. modifying the way it works internally without modifying how it appears to the outside? Granted, it is more work than just deleting the problem, but imho the proper way to do it.

If REALLY the need arises that the function has to be deleted completely, it should be marked as deprecated in advance for quite some time (several months at least), so scripters can react (however, it will still cause some headaches). Adding something to an API is always nice, but removing something is prone to spawn allergic reaction from anyone using it. Even if he is not using that specific function, his faith in a consistent API will deteriorate.

I see that hideObject got added, but maybe the value of the command can be increased a little bit, and make the syntax like setCaptive?

So for example, _unit hideObject bool

I only get a syntax error when using this command.

unitname hideObject true

Patience :) Will probably come with next beta. Faulty EW campaign probably with the final 1.06 version. Suma added the wiki for that command only a couple of days ago according the the history page :) Working late I might add :D

Faulty EW campaign probably with the final 1.06 version.

Doubt that they would leave EW unfixed for 1.06, the missing deletecollection problem could be solved in other ways in those missions i think.

Suma added the wiki for that command only a couple of days ago according the the history page :) Working late I might add :D

Sometimes i feel sorry for what we are doing to him. But then i see my AI behaving quite unconvincing and feel the urge to go to Bohemia with a whip. :p

Make it a bottle of whiskey and a whip :)

Sorry, I was too fast typing. Naturally I meant "Faulty EW campaign 'would get fixed' probably with the final 1.06 version", making use of this new command :)

Wouldn't be the best solution to keep the function and its behaviour, so that it won't cause any scripts to break, but just repair the problem "behind the curtain", i.e. modifying the way it works internally without modifying how it appears to the outside? Granted, it is more work than just deleting the problem, but imho the proper way to do it.

I think in this case the problem was that it appeared in the list of commands at all. There's a note on the talk page quoting Suma (uncited) way back at the end of 2007: DeleteCollection is related to "collections", which was work in progress for buildings for Game 2, and I doubt the function does anything really useful, as it is unfinished and untested.

So given that... I can understand why they wouldn't want to "fix" a function that was never actually finished and never meant to be used.

alls i know is, that my server crashes terribly with most scripts and addons while the vanilla version can run for hours. so I wouldnt support something just because its the half ass'd quick way to make a script