Sign in to follow this  
f2k sel

Why remove deletecollection

I find deletecollection command to be invaluable. It lets me create invisible targets without any addon dependancy!

There is no good reason to remove it and if it is gone in 1.06 I will not run 1.06.

Un freaking believable!!

What possible benefit could be derived from REMOVING a command that affects nothing in the overall game operation.

NOTHING!!!!

deletecollection is an essential command that allows scripters to work around various issues in Arma scripting. Its removal from the COMREF would be a travesty.

Edited by TJ72
Spelling

that wiki refers to Arma 1.06 not Arma 2... am I missing summin?

Its a global page for the command and the page was updated just this month.

Also Arma went from 1.05 to 1.08. I dont remember a 1.06 but I could be wrong.

that wiki refers to Arma 1.06 not Arma 2... am I missing summin?

That's a good spot, I went to that link after someone else posted that it was being removed and didn't notice that it seems to refer to Armed Assault.

I do hope it isn't removed anyway. Fingers crossed.

It is to be removed in the ArmA 2 1.06 before it was never intended to be there in first place, and because it seems to me it could use various unexpected kinds of havoc when it is used.

maybe some similar command can be created instead, like "hidemodel" or something. It can be usefull in many ways.

maybe some similar command can be created instead, like "hidemodel" or something. It can be usefull in many ways.

Yes would be great. Such a command is very helpfull :)

Hi Suma,

The command is extremely useful and its removal will take a valuable tool away from the scripting community. Its very unfortunate there is a problem with this command, I take your word for it but I would really like some more information on the expected effects of its use if you care to elaborate. Its understandable to want to clean up some old defunct module in the system but It has definitely been re-purposed by the scripting community. Please carefully consider these drawbacks against the benefits you believe its removal will deliver.

I have used it extensively for a few things and it has proved flexible and useful and I can claim no adverse effects in my test missions. I'd be happy to post example missions. I am running on quite modest settings and incidentally I am thrilled at the performance I am getting out of my current system. I occasionally get missing heads since 1.05 and I only have CTD when rapidly spawning and setpos of many objects but that happens without use of this command.

Perhaps disabledeletecollection switch can be used with disclaimer from BIS about usage of deletecollection and mission makers/and players can decide to take the risk to game operation, no?

If not a replacement command of the invisible functionality but I fear it just that much more work for BIS to make a new command that they may not ever get to and can more easily just remove the command be done with it.

Therefore leaving it in becomes the best and easiest solution for all. No removal job for BIS workload, and no removal of valuable command for user community. Its a win win.

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to contribute to and participate in this thread.

Edited by TJ72
Spelling

ACE to the rescue, at least for the clutter cutter aspects of the command. ACE also have invisible targets.

Classname "ClutterCutter", and can be placed from the editor as well.

I believe Suma if he says it has unexpected and undesired results, even if we use it without problems. I think he knows more about the internals of the engine than any of us put together :D

You guys feel better now that you cleaned up your code? I hope so.

Check out "disableGeo" for VBS2. It allows you to selectively toggle off the different geometries of objects. Would be nice to see it in A2 for various reasons.

Check out "disableGeo" for VBS2. It allows you to selectively toggle off the different geometries of objects. Would be nice to see it in A2 for various reasons.

That would be even better (if I understand you right), to be able to disable certain LODs by the command. Especially removing the geo lod would be usefull for many reasons. Or how about removing all the LODs exept for the Fire geo, you have instant "safe spawn" areas for CTF like missions!

I think BIS would be wise to reconsider this, the possibility's are almost endless

Anyone tried Eagle Wing campaign lately? Please start Arma2 with -showscripterrors enabled.

You just gotta love the irony :D

For those who don't bother:

#deletecollection brownFake;

Error undefined variable in expression: deletecollection

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Yeah, I noticed that too. BIS - please add it back, even if it has problems. It breaks EW even, which makes me sad. :(

Yeah, I noticed that too. BIS - please add it back, even if it has problems. It breaks EW even, which makes me sad. :(

You do know that it's a beta, do you?

They never change all data related to campaigns and missions in betas to keep beta patches small.

You are not forced to paticipate in beta testing, just start official 1.05 if you want to play EW.

Yes, I do know it's a beta. Thanks. I'm just showing my support for getting them to add it again. You think that they would add it back if no one said that they wanted it back? Perhaps they are working on another way of doing it, but frankly, why fix what isn't broken? Extensively, at least. I do know that deleteCollection of objects on maps forces you to restart the game if you want to have them reappear.

It is to be removed in the ArmA 2 1.06 before it was never intended to be there in first place, and because it seems to me it could use various unexpected kinds of havoc when it is used.
Hello Zipper5 there is your explanation. I doubt you know the engine better than Suma does.

I have used this command in the editor and did not have to restart the game after I took out the deletecollection command part as a test. It wasnt a test in relation to this thread but for another purpose. Each time was a separate mission of course as I reloaded the edited script for the test. There were no errors or anything during the same program session. I didnt try to spawn the same object types in the same mission runtime though so maybe that could be a big drawback.

I used this for invisible targets. I also used it to add ammo to artillery in an incremental fashion. A few other purposes and it was a nice thing to have a useful command that made working around things a bit easier for myself.

Has BIS ever removed a command before in all three games history? I honestly cant remember but whos counting anyway.

Hello Zipper5 there is your explanation. I doubt you know the engine better than Suma does.

If we were told what the havoc was an what potential gamebreaking issues there might be, then we would know to steer clear of them. My point is that the command is useful for so many things, one of which being a camera like the one Gaia uses in EW. By removing it, we're losing some great scripting potential.

I'm not sure if BIS are going to find a way to have the same effect but not cause the "havoc" that they talk about, but it shouldn't be too hard for people to keep away from the potential gamebreaking that might occur if they use it if we are told exactly what happens and why. So far, the only issue I've encountered with it is having to reload the island when you delete its objects.

Edited by Zipper5
Put game instead of island...

I do know that deleteCollection of objects on maps forces you to restart the game if you want to have them reappear.

Negative, simply reloading the map is enough.

It's same with setVariable to world objects, map needs to be reloaded too.

Yeah, sorry, I meant island. Just realized I put that. :butbut: