Sign in to follow this  
beagle23

Commanding Infantry

After a cool little moment where I took out a base with a very small AI force, I've been a lot more interested in learning them inside out so I can command them to their full potential.

Obviously they're not perfect, but it'd help a lot if I knew exactly how they worked. I played a crapload of OFP and knew how they worked inside and out, but A2s AI got a lot more complicated and independent and some of these new features completely throw me for a loop.

Like, I'll admit right now I haven't played past mission 2 in the campaign - didn't grab me, I'm more obsessed with the editor and MP Arma 2 wise - so if this is explained further in, thats my bad. But I only just today realised that Fire Team Leaders actually... like... the AI behind them follow them. But only sometimes. Like if you tell the fire team leader to advance, all the AI behind him follow. But if you tell him to move somewhere, they're like "Nah screw that".

This is getting a bit verbose so I'll get to the point: I'd like to ask any and all vets to share their tips for successful infantry commanding with the AI! Take towns right the first time, minimum casualities and maximum damage! I'm looking for the Arma 2 AI Whisperers who have a gift with making the AI play exactly how they want. I mean, there's gotta be someone like that here, right?

I'm fine with commanding infantry, but I want to be better. Do you guys carefully micromanage each team member, or do you just set them all to danger and engage at will? Do you place each one in cover, or just give them targets and send them off to fight? Do you lead the way and use your squad as wingmen, or sit at the back and use them as your primary weapon? Tell me your styles, and tell me everything you know!

EDIT: Crap, I could have sworn I posted this in general, not suggestions. Sorry, my bad, if someone could move this there it'd be much appreciated

A good tip from me is when in defense set all to prone, danger and set the direction. They are like killing machines who cannot be stopped (unless flanked on a very wide arc).

Also try using 'find cover' when they are set to danger. They settle themselves in nicely.

Fireteams also work quite nicely, so make sure to assign fireteams with a fireteam leader. With a full squad, in the middle of battle you can have three fireteams. If facing bad guys directly ahead, set one team to flank left, another to flank right and the last one to advance. Can mess up any ai squad, even if commanded by a human player.

Edited by jwalstab

Good tips, but how exactly do you assign a fireteam to a fireteam leader?

Simply select fireteam leader and maybe an MG and a medic or whatever else you want in the fireteam, then select team in the menu that comes up, then choose assign red etc.

Oh, right. I thought you meant there was an actual fireteam command mechanism in game, much like how fireteam leaders seem to have lower formation members follow them in some situations.

For some reason my attacks work far better when using a fireteam leader in fireteams, don't know if the game actually takes into account having a fireteam leader in the fireteam but my experience is that it works better.