Sign in to follow this  
9re@se-itenin

What is "2 hour front" ?

"To our front" is a contact report (most likely to report enemy presence) that refers to the team's 12 o' clock or front direction. So if we were together as a team in the field. I spot someone ahead of us, I will say "Contact, to our front, far."

Hope I helped you on the matter,

Requiem.

12-hour clock face direction relative to your squad leader's general direction of movement. A very inaccurate and unreliable means of communicating direction obviously.

The good old clock down left on screen with type of enemy and a meters estimation worked so perfectly well in OFP and ArmA i guess i will never understand what gave BIS the idea to change this.

But is a story as old as ArmA2.

thanks.

man, i don't even know who my squad leader is? hahaha..

If you have ID diamonds enabled, then when you open your map and close it again, the leader should have a double chevron symbol in his diamond.

The good old clock down left on screen with type of enemy and a meters estimation worked so perfectly well in OFP and ArmA i guess i will never understand what gave BIS the idea to change this.

But is a story as old as ArmA2.

Boy you said it. 90% of the time, the little directions they call out are way off, or so vague that spotting is extremely difficult. The old clock system was great, and I was surprised to see it go.

Boy you said it. 90% of the time, the little directions they call out are way off, or so vague that spotting is extremely difficult. The old clock system was great, and I was surprised to see it go.

Thats why they turned off the voice reporting in the ACE2 mod. Its basically useless. That is also why the map is so useful.

Its 100% useless..

And im still waiting for an statement why remove such a important feature, replacing it with a thing which makes ZERO Sense......

IIRC, the reason that Ondrei stated was that they tried to make the voices sound more natural and human. How this was supposed to make it sound more natural the story does not tell...

"To the North" would have been superior in every single way.

lol classic misheard

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I disagree. A setting to make a unit well trained and use the clock indicator rather than to our front, which is far more accurate to RL; would be very welcome.

Well, the fire commands I learnt in infantry school in RL is actually VERY different and very very hard to use in game, so, either way, its gamey and not accurate to RL. So, lets just do what works in game. So far, the clock indicator does work better (not because its more accurate to RL).

The thing is that with all that dense grass and plants everywhere it became extremely hard to spot enemies in ArmA2.

So BIS was probably thinking that its still not hardcore enough and added that new reporting system that noone likes and in most reviews was one of the big minus things that lead to low scores ( alogn with many other v.1.0 bugs ).

It worked so well before, a enemy spotted, a note from the squad like rifleman 6 o´clock 200meters, a lil clock indicator came up so i knew where exactly i have to turn for this reported direction.

I followed this, saw the enemy and shot him.

Not terrible realistic but better than a worse system thats also not very realistic and just leads to endless trial and error and save/load orgies.

Now that would be something if any of the advanced scripters could bring that back.

Even better BIS in OP:A but thats as likely as snow in hell i guess.

Edited by Shadow NX

i am confused now. was what i heard "2 hour front" or "to our front"? And to whose front??? anyway, i gather its useless anyhow.

Completely agree on all counts.

Vague reports just adds panic and confusion in a firefight, maybe thats the "realism" BIS wanted, but its constant on all reports. In fact the more I think about it so far I have never zeros in on any enemy via unit calls since I got this game.

B.R.I.N.G - T.H.E - S.O.D.D.I.N.G - C.L.O.C.K - S.Y.S.T.E.M - B.A.C.K

You can keep the calls, but if they bring the clock system back to pop up, at least that would help, I know most turned it off in Arma1 and used the calls only for realism, but as we don't have that luxury, the clock would be nice.

I really don't see the clock as unrealistic. It's an abstraction of the game's lack of situational awareness compared to real life. In a real life situation, you'd be quite sure what was front, back, left and right, but in ArmA 2, since it's all based on a code snippet rather than logic the directions are often not very natural. For example, if you'd be attacking a town in real life then the town would be front. In ArmA 2, it's all based on whatever direction the leader might be travelling at the moment. In real life you also have pointing and waving, which you don't have in ArmA 2.

Edited by dmakatra

In regards to 'whose front' they are referring. They are referring to the front of the formation. BIS has recently changed how the formation works, and 'our front' is now to the front of the leader, as opposed to the front of the last direction moved.

The best is if your AI reports...

Enemy sighted.....

where ?

At 158347....LOL

Well, this could be improved aswell with more clear directions and not just coordinates but compass directions at least.