Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Texture identification please

AFAIK these aren't textures but light sources. Check the F-16, if you see the same lights then it is for sure as there i know exactly what textures are there and what not.

It's a texture that is applied wherever there is a vehicle lightsource, similar to the glare textures applied to other lights (headlights, streetlights etc). Lightsources themselves aren't visible, only the light from them is :)

Hmkay...in ca/data there are some possible candidates:

light_flare_ca.paa

redlight_flare_ca.paa

But not more than a wild guess.

Do you mean the MarkerLights?

class MarkerLights {
  class RedStill {
   name="cerveny pozicni";
   color[]={0.300000,0.030000,0.030000,1};
   ambient[]={0.030000,0.003000,0.003000,1};
   brightness=0.010000;
   blinking=0;
  };
  class GreenStill {
   name="zeleny pozicni";
   color[]={0.030000,0.300000,0.030000,1};
   ambient[]={0.003000,0.030000,0.003000,1};
   brightness=0.010000;
   blinking=0;
  };
  class WhiteStill {
   name="bily pozicni";
   color[]={0.300000,0.300000,0.300000,1};
   ambient[]={0.030000,0.030000,0.030000,1};
   brightness=0.010000;
   blinking=0;
  };
  class WhiteBlinking {
   name="bily pozicni blik";
   color[]={1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1};
   ambient[]={0.100000,0.100000,0.100000,1};
   brightness=0.010000;
   blinking=1;
  };
  class RedBlinking {
   name="cerveny pozicni blik";
   color[]={0.500000,0.050000,0.050000,1};
   ambient[]={0.050000,0.005000,0.005000,1};
   brightness=0.010000;
   blinking=1;
  };
 };

name="blah"; refers to the memory point in your model.

maybe a look in cfgCoreData class helps. This could be sphere or halflight texture or maybe it's a procedural one.

maybe a look in cfgCoreData class helps. This could be sphere or halflight texture or maybe it's a procedural one.

Well going by what I've learned here and at OFPEC it's a GPU procedural shape, not a texture. I think the stars are drawn the same way.

Does anyone know how to make custom marker lights? I tried to make new ones using that config snippet Synide posted but I never got them to appear in game :(.

That excerpt was from the bin\config.cpp for 'class Air'.

So, in the default BIS content anything inheriting from 'class Air' will have those marker lights mentioned before.

You would either inherit from BIS classes or make your own base classes for your vehicles/buildings and override or add-to their definitions.

Then you define a single point in your Memory LoD of your model with the same name.

Personally, by-and-large I've always created base classes for stuff that do not inherit at all from BIS default content. Often, to do as little as redefine the memory points for various class properties to anglised versions that are easier for myself and others to understand.

Even though they can 'flash/blink' they are not part of the skeletal or user animation system so don't need CfgModels defining.

'class MarkerLights' is a subclass of the basic CfgVehicles class. They are predominatly used on vehicles (like aircraft) and buildings (like TV & radio towers, runway lights etc.).

They 'turn on/off' by themselves when the time-of-day is dusk-till-dawn and also they can be 'told' to turn 'off/on' through scripting too. (I think that last part is correct s'been a bit since I played with Marker Lights.)

Anyhoo, if your current model's config inherits from anything that ultimately inherits from 'class Air' and is not specifically nullifying the definitions for MarkerLights then those 'standard' MarkerLights should be available to your model. To use those ones you'd have to have a similar set of points in the Memory LoD as per that excerpt.

Give it a bit more of a go and you should get it sussed.

Do I have to make them children of MarkerLights or will for example this work?

class CfgVehicles

{

class FDF_MarkerLights

{

class FDF_BlueStill

{

name="fdf_blue_light";

color[]={0.030000,0.030000,0.30000,1};

ambient[]={0.030000,0.003000,0.003000,1};

brightness=0.010000;

blinking=0;

};

};

};

Like this...

class CfgVehicles {
class Air;
class FDF_AirBase : Air {
 class MarkerLights {
  class FDF_Lime {
   name="lime";

};
  class FDF_Lime_Blinking {
   name="lime_blinking";

};
  class FDF_BumblebeeYellow {
   name="bumblebeeyellow";

};
  class FDF_BumblebeeYellow_Blinking {
   name="bumblebeeyellow_blinking";

};
 };
};

class FDF_HelicopterBase : FDF_AirBase {};
class FDF_BigGaudyHelicopter : FDF_HelicopterBase {};
class FDF_LittleGaudyHelicopter : FDF_HelicopterBase {};
class FDF_FasterThanLightHelicopter : FDF_HelicopterBase {};
};

For your various 'colour' classes of 'class MarkerLights' it's probably a good idea to prefix them with your mod/namespace/projectspace prefix. But I'd advised against prefixing the name=""; with the same.

In both cases create a classname & name that describes the colour & whether it's blinking or not. Do not call your class for instance 'class FDF_RightHand_BlueBlinking'. You'd just call it... 'class FDF_BlueBlinking'.

In the above all 3 FDF_BigGaudyHelicopter, FDF_LittleGaudyHelicopter, FDF_FasterThanLightHelicopter would be able to utilize the marker lights defined with the appropraite names if you desired. Just because they are defined doesn't mean they necessarily need to be enabled. Just don't include the associated Memory LoD named selection point.

Got it?

Edited by Synide
qualified inheritance...