Sign in to follow this  
MaxRiga

read this if you want to be Commander in Warfare

I’m mostly playing arma only because of Warfare missions. Thx Benny that he has brought it back into arma2 so I enjoy playing it now.

But the most annoying thing in Warfare is when noob commanders are doing absolutely stupid and illogical things. Well, it’s because they r noobs, but damn, sometimes it’s very annoying.

Well, I’ve decided to let them know some basic knowledge. Here it goes.

THE MAIN RULE NUMBER ONE - Do not play commander in multiplayer if u’ve never played it before. Please, respect those players who play with you in multi. Download Warfare mission from internet and try it in single player mode first. There is AI that will play with you, so, you will study basic options of commander without pressure from other human players.

1- The first what you have to do is to build your base. But you must not rush to build it right away when the game starts. The first base position is 80-90% chances you win in Warfare. We don’t speak now about amount of players and their experience. Even if your team is full of noobs you still can defeat your experienced enemies if you let your noob players capture what YOU need. So, first of all you have to find the spot for your base. There are five 120 sup points cities in Chernarus. So, it’s very logical to deploy your base somewhere close to one of it. Or it’s even better if you build it close to both of it. Remember, as faster you capture it as more supplies you receive. Unfortunately, sometimes even experienced players start their bases somewhere far and deep forest and happy about that their base is hard to find. This is wrong logic! The most important is to rush for cities as fast as possible, but not to hide and be happy about it. This is not “hide and seek†game, this is fast “rush for cities mission†first of all. And those who rush for cities faster will succeed.

2- The fact is that one time your base will be spotted anyway. And it’s gonna be under arty or air fire right away if your enemy have air or arty. So, when you start your base deploying try to place your structures far one from another, so, your enemy will not destroy all together at once with a single arty or air strike.

3- Do not build you base between mountains! Usually noobs think it’s harder to be spotted or it’s safer if you are covered by mountains. This is wrong, because if a single enemy AT or Tank unit will be on the top of the mountain then he can destroy ur HQ or the whole base easily. So, your base in secure place when it’s ON THE TOP of any hill. In this case it’s harder to hit base from the ground. Another thing is that it’s easier to make protection for your up hill base by placing AT or AA ubits around it. If you ask me for air, then it’s also easier to hit enemy air from hill ( for human and specially if you build AI AA protection around ). If you build AI AA between mountains they never be able to hit enemy air.

4- Another big mistake is when noobs build A ( air structure ) , L ( light factory ) or H ( heavy factory ) in forest or between buildings in cities. And, unfortunately, even experienced players do the same mistake. If you want fully operational base never do it. The logic of players who is doing this is that it’s more covered and less chances to be spotted. Well, yeah, but the main idea of Warfare, as I said before, is “rush for cities mission†but not “hide and seek†and if you build L or H in trees then AI is gonna stuck around it and will not be able to move properly. So, if you buy one tank for your self and another btr90 for your AI then be sure that your btr90 will not be able ever to get out of this damn forest.

Building A in forest is also common mistake of noobs. I can’t understand what are they thinking about when they want their choppers and planes be respawned in forest ..

5- Same mistake for those RTS gamers who enjoy those self building walls all around their base. All I can say for them is that AI in arma2 cannot really find it’s path to get out of your base, so, your base in not fully operational in the case you have walls around it. Simply – do not build walls at all or you will find your base full of cars, armors and soldiers that doesn’t know where to go. Same rule for those, who enjoy build their base inside of castles and cities.

6- Also, remember, that Ai and human go more slowly up the hill then down the hill. So, if your main base in Chernogorsk area and you need to go north it will be damn slowly. Don’t build main base in this area! Otherwise you will not be able to follow “rush for cities mission†fast up north.

7- Let you base be connected with Chernorus with any road. It’s not just because it’s easier for human to move but it’s also the only way how you can let AI moves for cities faster.

8- Now I want to speak about Airports more punctual. First of all airports are for Air, not for tanks, cars etc. I’ve seen many times the situations when player wants to take off or land his plane and hit some kinda AI in uaz or m1 that occasionally crossing his way. Well, it’s definitely commander fault, because you have to build A way too far from other structures so AI will never cross take off line. Another mistake that usually noobs do is placing A or S in wrong positions ( S is just MUST BE thing on airport to rearm and repair your planes ). For example, noobs like to place A or S ( or other structures ) right in the middle of take off line! I can’t understand why they doing it. Well, may be in their cities they have bus stops, little stores, posts and signs in the middle of streets too? I donno. It’s also very important to place S in the beginning or end of take off line ( I donno where is beginning or the end, it depends, I guess, but the idea is to have S not somewhere in the middle of take off line ). Many players prefer to build in it the middle, so, it this case the airport is less functional because pilots must land their planes then return their planes to the middle of airport, then to return back to the beginning of take off line and then they free to go. It’s much better to place S somewhere at the end of airport, so when pilot lands all he needs is just rearm and free to go. Especially at Krasno and Cherno airport where take off line is short and small.

9- Commander has to communicate. Organization is most important thing in armies. To organize your team you have to communicate with your guys. If you see that 6 players went for nearest town together with your Ai it’s gonna be more productive if you ask 3 of 6 guys to go for another town. Always keep in your mind that Warfare is “rush for cities missionâ€, so, if you can capture two cities in 15 minutes instead of one then DO IT!

10 – Commander must move his base sometimes, at least once, closer to the battlefield. Many of noobs think it’s too risky but if you not moving it you have big chance to loose, because if your enemy move their base closer to you that means your enemy finally get more cities that you and your team will loose. Yes, there is some risk but, once again, you have to organize your team to help you. For example you build your first base near Zelenogorsk or Berezino. Your guys now rush for Stary Sobor in the center of the map. It’s damn too long way for them to drive from your base to Stary Sobor. And if someone got shot he needs to go all the way again. Well, you have to move your base there so the area will be dominated with amount of your team players and it’s gonna be much faster for them to operate in the area. The enemy just will not get a chance to take this area after you place your second base somewhere around.

The things above are some default rules for those, who want to be successful commanders. Now I want to share my advises, that not necessarily to follow.

1- Always upgrade Light Factory first. Then you can go for supplies but Air at the end. Some noobs are trying to build A and upgrade it as soon as possible and this is deadly mistake because in the beginning of the game players don’t have money for good air anyway. To capture towns faster your teammates need something fast moving and powerful enough. This why if you upgrade Light you give your teammate the light armor they so needed in capturing your first towns.

2 – Try do not build A if your team haven’t get a half of the map. Usually when you build A then everybody stops fighting for cities and go for flying. Well, yeah, air is good for base hunting and killing tanks but if your enemy will even ride their bikes and go for cities while your team enjoy their flying you can loose. Because, as you know, Warfare is “rush for cities mission†but not “rush for skiesâ€.

Edited by MaxRiga

You re truely speaking directly out of my heart.

Funniest base build I've seen:

A narrow canyon. Inside a deep forrest. On a steep incline. Filled with tunguskas that couldnt get out. Everytime an enemy aircraft came close, the tunguska literally pelted the canyon sides killing everything and everyone that was trying to get out of the canyon.

FFS people build your bases by roads! Its CRITICAL to AI movement! IMO its better to loose an open position than never have any use of it because the AI is lost in the forest.

Personally I have a preference to well defended outposts (ie 1 factory and several defenses) rather than just plopping down 3-4 factories in the middle of the woods with no defences or anything.

But I've never really been a commander online. Maybe its time to start :p

FFS people build your bases by roads!:p

633492322813388644-jeep.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist. (pic 80kb, please dont shoot!)

Sadly, the people that need to read this, never will.

Good points, though. I don't really command in warfare much but if I ever find myself in the commander's chair, I'll be sure to take these tips to heart.

You don't have to build completely in the open just because you want to be near cities for your 'rush the cities' strategy. Chernarus has a lot of diverse terrain and its very difficult to build a base that is not near any cities at all, unless you're on the map's flanks proper. If you still want to 'RUSH THE CITIES' so much that you need a spawn within 500m, you can then remobilize your HQ and park it outside towns as a spawn point.

I try not to die when I play, so needing a spawn kind of becomes a lesser concern compared to making your entire base incredibly easy to see, but hey, that's just me.

Like you said, your base will come under artillery fire as soon as it is spotted, which is why bothering to build any defenses above a few MGs to keep out saboutuers is useless. Your only defense is to not be seen in the first place. Building in the open is asking for your base to be easily spotted in demolished.

The same with roads, you're practically asking to be found.

I actually prefer to play with Artillery off, which makes things different - I like how you actually have to assault bases instead of just pressing a few buttons and watching them turn to dust. This means that easily discoverable bases are fine as long as they're well defended. Not so with artillery on, so again, the rule I live by is if this base is found, its going to be pounded.

Build factories on the edges of forests with their spawning sides facing out so AI don't get stuck. Build them inside hangars. Build them in cities, build them in at the bottom of big valleys, and most importantly, don't build them near points of interest.

Defenses are irrelevant, just don't get spotted.

Walls are fine, just leave big gaps for the AI.

You have a map, use it when taking off to check for vehicles crossing the strip. Really easy thing to do.

I agree to a certain extent, but Beagle as a better point of view on it (in my opinion)..

You see, as soon as I have access to a chopper I will make it my mission to find the enemy base. If you were to place your base next to a road, close to towns, on top of a hill, etc you wouldn't last 30minutes if you faced an organised group of players.

Edited by Flightster

I agree with Beagle and Fightster.

The main mission is to destroy the enemy mhq and then his bases. On my squads server the mission types are usually anihilation or assination. this means that you must think tactically if you are the Cdr. for instance if you are building an AAR then it must be put in a forest to hide the mast or placed near towns with big chimmenys so as to blend in and not be seen by air elements. I also spend a lot of time building decoys that look convincing from the air so that the enemy will what resources on that. Towns Warfare is not meant as a rush for towns"" it is meant as a strategic and tactical semi simulation wear you as a commander must think about what resources you have to hand to complete the task. The main task of the commander in Warfare is to ensure that the best possible resources are available to His forces and the least to the other side. therefore you must protect what you have by disabling the enemies C3 facilities. and in warfare this equates to his ability to gain resources, build equipment and upgrade that equipment.

So building out in the open so the AI cn spawn nicely is not a consideration at all. Yes you must take the limits of the game into consideration but at the same time you can build in clear areas big enough for 1 building and a unit to create and move away without having to be next to a road. Also thi idea of base building is anathema to any Cdr worth his salt as all that does is provide a a flashing beacon of equipment on someones veh radar. Spread the factories out so that if you lose 1 thing, you dont lose it all.

thats my penneth worth

Hi all,

I'm not a very experienced commmander, just curious : do you think it is better to spread the builldings within the HQ's limited radius when deployed, or do you mobilize the HQ every time you build a new building, so you can spread everything at least 100m apart ? the second solution solution sure sounds more secure, but is a real pain to do in game.

The initial placement near one or two 120 pts towns is not a good idea in my opinion. It mostly depends whether you have enough money and points to start upgrading while players and AIs take the first towns. If not, its better to take any town, the smaller the better, as the small ones have less Resistance in them.

I also disagree with the mountain-top placement for base. If enemy has arty and half-decent recon, you'll get wiped out quickly...

In the first stages of the game, my strategy so far : in most cases I prefer to build the base asap in nearest cover, and run for nearest towns to quickly get resources. Then after a while I make a second backup base far from the first, nearer to front line, and then move the MHQ in a calm area not too far from the center of the front line, and move it while the front line advances.

In as second phase, when the front line stabilizes on contact with enemy, i build a few buildings (barracks, light and heavy factory) near the front line in a calm area so players can reinforce easily. In all the losing games i've been in, the nearest base was too far away to send efficient reinforcements.

In my opinion building bases on sea shore is near suicidal (except for air... and i love your idea of using shore road for landing strip, swiss/swedish AF style :) ) , its really better to build in hilly/forest area for cover, but with quick access to flat land for fast rolling of tanks. Crossing the map through mountainous areas in tanks takes hours for AI...

For you, whats the role of the commander besides moving the MHQ and making bases ? whats typically in his squad ? does he own arty, put men in static defences, build AA squad ?

Thanks

kilKenny.

Edited by KilKenny

Hi all

Added link to this thread to mission manuals sticky post.

Kind Regards walker

I agree to a certain extent, but Beagle as a better point of view on it (in my opinion)..

You see, as soon as I have access to a chopper I will make it my mission to find the enemy base. If you were to place your base next to a road, close to towns, on top of a hill, etc you wouldn't last 30minutes if you faced an organised group of players.

The fact you can is because nearly 90% of commanders fail to construct base defences or the distance of defensive positions are not set at the correct distance away from base, which results in Helos shooting you at a distance, or flying over you. Though the amount of men under my command in game prevents this being effective.

FUNDAMENTALS OF BASE DEFENSE

Infantry defends best in rugged or heavily wooded terrain or in urban areas which restrict vehicular movement. It relies on a well-positioned, well-prepared, relatively fixed defense. This is called a "position defense." The intent of the position defense is to hold occupied terrain.

This is heavily hindered due to the amount of infantry given to us to command in game, as well as the amount and type of combat support available. It can be increased by game admins which is good news.

All-Round Defense. Although a defense usually is prepared to repel an attack from one general direction, the base must be ready to defend against a ground attack from any direction. This sadly has never been grasped.

Defense in Depth. The Base attains depth by the positioning of its units and weapons. This is done to keep the attacker from easily flanking the defense or exploiting a penetration. When antiarmor weapons are positioned in depth, they are less likely to be suppressed simultaneously this holds with MG nests. Sadly again many admins prevent us having enough troops to do this.

Security. As the attacker has the initiative to pick the time, place, and direction of the attack, the defender posts security for warning. Security measures include OPs, PATROLS and now with ACE2 ground sensor mines and booby traps. Construct obstacles to Strengthen Positions and Complement Fire. Obstacles are positioned to stop the enemy. Obstacles such as minefields, every one can help build them.

It is desirable to kill enemy armor/ infantry well forward of the base position. Don’t stick tows at the edge of Base structures. They are better placed further out in numbers with long fields of fire well behind MG positions.

The commander must organize his defence around weapons most effective and ask help from team players to sacrifice 2-3 ai troops to aid the Base defence. (Unless we are allowed more troops in game i understand why players will not).

Unfortunately the culture of many commanders on servers is to go score whoring and blatantly Use the HQ as their personnel taxi to move around the battlefield, occasionally building a single structure before moving on the map to repeat this procedure and the result form this is, a large amount of bitching from players to the elected Commander. Not surprised as he wastes so much supply in the early stages of the game by mobilising and demobilising the HQ and that means we all suffer to the score whore commander.

The fact you can is because nearly 90% of commanders fail to construct base defences or the distance of defensive positions are not set at the correct distance away from base, which results in Helos shooting you at a distance, or flying over you.

Unless the fundementals of base defense involve building a giant diamond-encased roof over your entire base, the reason he and anyone at all can do that is because once you find the enemy base you can artillery it to hell in a very short amount of time.

As I continue to play I'm still convinced the best solution is to build your base so that it appears that it isn't even there, and I pick up more tricks to accomplish this daily. It's quite the art, and fun to boot.

Basics in base concealment : now that sounds fun !

Would you share any tips ?

I'm wondering if its possible to build off map limits... not very fairplay though... it's more exploit than tactics in my opinion...

Yes you can, I've done it before. First, people get very angry and complain about the 3KM drive to the closest hostile town, then someone gets on TS with the admin while some random 10 year old starts making threats claiming that he'll to put you on some sort of "global ban list" (that doesn't exist:j:), then you get banned by an over zelous admin with no sense of humor and a miniscule understanding of English, so even if you had thought up an excuse for your actions the admin will still ban you because he has no clue what you're saying... In short, I don't advise doing it;).

lol. ...

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

One of my favorite tactics is to let the AI commander use its resources while I cap towns. The AI builds a functional base that serves the basic needs of the side until I have enough resources of my own and then I start looking for strategic positions for my factories and relocate. If the factories that the AI built get destroyed it is no big deal to me and I don't have to waste cash and supply on basic upgrades early on. After capping a few towns the players can start recon ops looking for the enemy's bases while the AI troops continue capturing towns.

This is heavily hindered due to the amount of infantry given to us to command in game, as well as the amount and type of combat support available. It can be increased by game admins which is good news.

The problem is hardware - my understanding of the specifics is quite limited but syncing 32 players' AI, not to mention any resistance or occupational AI, can make servers want to kill themselves. lol

IMO base defenses are too easily defeated by the basic combat unit of warfare: the individual (human-player) infantryman. In the end its a waste of money and time to create elaborate defensive positions when one reasonably skilled player can just rick-roll them in 2 seconds with a DMR or PSO'd AK.

AA pods are a useful tool, but better-used as an ambush far from the base to catch enemy air. You don't want them near the base because once someone gets shot down by them they're not going to last much longer (unless the player that gets shot down is a non-communicative retard). Frankly the best defense is a good offense: keep the enemy from having an air factory.

But even then there will still be the determined, skilled player who will spend 45 minutes searching for your base in an ambulance, following the trail of AI going to towns like bread crumbs back to your base. When you encounter them your only chance is to keep the MHQ (almost) constantly moving and building all base structures at least 500m apart (so one player cannot kill them all by standing in one spot with a SMAW or RPG-7).

Oh and never, ever, ever build at airfields. That's the first place anyone looks. Learn the places on the map jets can take off and land off-airfield. ;)

Another trick, particularly on servers where you are limited to just 3 AI personnel, is to get 3 grads or MLRS and a repair truck. You and your crew can drive to anywhere, then have the AI man the gunner slots and you sit in the repair truck to re-arm them. I chased my opponents all over the map the other day destroying their defenses and their bases every time we located them.

heres my 5 golden rules in an easy to understand video.

plus some beer induced oscar nominated voice acting ! :yay:

Edited by JimGun

Yesterday evening on a german public server was one of the worst warfare game ever...

Here's the story of an epic failure. I think it belongs here, as it's IMO one of the best examples I’ve seen of what NOT TO DO if you're commanding in Warfare.

Here it is.

As a player, i joined in-game OPFOR who owned nearly the eastern half of the map.

There was 10-12 players on each side. So at first everything looked fine.

So here I go, first spawn at HQ and buy gear. Surprise !

Gear was not upgraded so only RPG7s. No gear, but we already have air factory ? Ooooooookay...

Light factory and arty was upgraded, but still no AT infantry nor decent AT like Metis. No T90s either. Hum.

Then I looked at our bases. We had only one of each building, scattered all around the map.

- HQ, Air and Barracks near Tulga (extreme south east of map)

- Light and Heavy factory built at the top of the highest hill in the Black Forest (north east of Guglovo).... which is, as its name implies.... a forest :)

- Lonely Comm center built at random in north east. Well why not.

I usually like to get me an UAZ, pack it with AT ammo (RPG/Metis) and go take cities.

So I order my UAZ DshKm, and respawn at Light factory to get delivery.

And then I spawn in… the biggest chaos I’ve ever seen in-game…

In the forest, on top of the steep hill, there was at least 10 vehicles manned by AI trying to escape between trees, crumbled trees everywhere that blocked the view, empty and destroyed vehicles exploding and blocking the way for those who spawned… AI infantry just sitting there, being crushed by the vehicles… some Ais were spawing there, as it was the nearest to the front line.

My UAZ expedition was not possible, as I had no AT except RPG, and no easyway to have AI with RPGs (as Barracks was 5 kilometers away from light factory...). So, as west was attacking Kamyshovo, I went to defend.

The time it took to get there, it had been retaken by another player… okay.

Then the Comm upgraded armor, so I ordered two T90s. The first one I got in, dodging all the crazy vehicles and tanks trapped near factory… I had to ram some trucks to clear the way (explosions), then shot the ones that were blocking (more explosions), then I hit the road to the nearest city to fight. Mildly Annoyed.

My second T90 spawned… and stayed on the hill top. Sh*t. Had to go back. It had spawned upside down. Get the crew out, tried to get in to flip it but couldn’t. Tried to ram it. No way. Disbanded the AI crew now useless and decided to go fight on my own. 5k gone. But was beginning to get seriously p*ssed off.

As I asked comm about the silly base place, he said the previous comm had built it. Ok.

I was the first to ask something, after nearly a half hour ingame. Noone was chatting in game, not even comm…

So here we go to take Stary and mogilevka with other players… but Comm didn’t give objectives, so everyone went his own way.

My T90S gets destroyed, I keep attcking on foot and I see… the commander arriving in a T90.

The HQ was abandoned near air factory in a clearing near Tulga by comm who went west taking cities.

And then something bad happened : after taking Elektro, West took Kamyshovo, getting very close to our HQ.

But instead of respawing and move the HQ, Comm kept going in his T90, and started to give orders to the only human player who was near HQ… to take back Kamyshovo. No one was defending the HQ… So comm was insulting the guy. Who was on foot with his squad, with (still) no decent AT as the upgrades weren’t done.

As a player had just changed side, there was a big chance West knew now where was our HQ…

After a chat with comm, Comm said he didn’t want to be comm anyway.

So I asked to become Comm, we voted (2 times) and I finally got elected.

And then , five seconds after the election, I saw “HELIPAD DESTROYEDâ€â€¦ I respawned immediately at HQ, but before I got there I saw “HQ DESTROYED†and spawned in front of two big M1s. I only had time time to fire one RPG round before getting crushed.

Then Ex-Comm and a player started flaming each other, like “you suck at comm, youre a noob, always on pussy servers (!), I ve never seen you on serious ACE servers, my squad will crush yours anyday…etc etc†:)

Then some guy from OPFOR started taking out our remaining buildings with RPG... so we couldn’t even build repair truck to go salvage HQ… and this whole mess finally ended. Lord.

So heres my 8 golden rules, if you want to be a really crappy commander in Warfare :)

1 - become Comm even when you don’t want to be

2 - Don’t talk to your players.

3 - make advanced upgrades before basic ones.

4 - Only build one of each building, and make them reaaaaally far away from each other, like five kilometers, and as far as possible from the front line so that no one can call reinforcements.

5 - Build Heavy and light factory in a forest, and if possible on a very remote mountain top :)

7 - Abandon your HQ behind and don’t move it, even when a player has changed sides.

8 - Don’t even come back when two badass M1s are seen approaching right on you…

If it’s true you learn more from bad experience than good ones, then I’ve learned a lot yesterday :)

Edited by KilKenny

Hahaha

KilKenny welcome to the world of a warfare player. Sometimes when I find a game that's going like that I just turn Arma 2 off and do something else; one bad comm can ruin a whole match and once you're on a team you're not switching.

A lot of times I play I come into a situation not quite so bad and have to spend 45 minutes or more "fixing" things as Comm before I actually get to play. :(

I'm glad this thread is around, I got to be commander last night, i just got voted for lol. I've never commanded before (part-time gamer nowadays) so if it weren't for a few guys on my team knowing how things work things would've been much worse, but I made a few massive mistakes and with only one base build they really were critical. (too far nth east, hill behind the base giving positional advantage) at least I built on a road hahaha. I did spend my time upgrading infantry and gear, supply and LF though, though with how far the base was out, i was doing my best to compensate by getting to airlifts as quickly as possible... much to learn from :)

was this on the gon server slay0r? if so, tsk tsk , we have guides for warfare noobs and commanders on our forums :) with pictures!!!!! lol

good thread tho. commanding in warfare really is a seperate game in itself

Having played with the OP, I agree with what he had to say.

It is a shame, though, that the pinnacle of Warfare was in Arma 2 @ ACE 2 on Chernarus, Duala, Kibrul islands; today, you see people connecting to A2+OA versions with Op Arrowhead only.

Takistan is a poor map: base detection takes 3-4 min once AF is placed. Subsequent chase of enemy HQ and new base scouting ~ another 30s-2min.