Sign in to follow this  
madbull

[R3F] Artillery and Logistic: Manual artillery and advanced logistic (mission script)

At the moment you can't use AI to execute fire missions. But I'm working on for the next version.

Oh yeah !!!!!!

For me the use of players on the artillery is a waste of manpower, using AI gunners commanded by a FDC player would be the way ahead. Really looking forward to using that version.

Need any testing let me know, more than willing to help out in anyway we can.

@[RIP]Tyson :

Im trying to place a sat phone on the deck of a carrier but no matter what I do with setpos it falls through. Is there any way round this?

It could be because the carrier is created after the satphone and/or under the right altitude.

You can also try to add the suffix "ASL" or "ATL" to ALL setPos and getPos commands in R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\creer_poste_commandement.sqf

Let me know if it works.

With the logistics set up is there a way to make certain bunkers etc non movable so players cant start stealing scenery etc?

Quoting the installation guide :

You can disable (and enable back) all the logistic features on any object or vehicle at any time. You just have to execute the following script command :

object_variable setVariable ["R3F_LOG_disabled", true];

where object_variable refers to the object. By example, in the initialization line of the object, replace object_variable by the keyword this.

Also is there a way for say only the Squad Leader to have the ability to move and pack stuff?

Here is the answer, enable the system only for specific slots : http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1573537&postcount=227

@WickerMan :

If the arty & log is properly installed, there is no appearent reason to break the ranking system.

Check your RPT error files to see what is wrong if any.

@UGLY58 :

Yes, that's true ! I'm working on it, and it'll be soon functionnal.

Oh yeah !!!!!!

For me the use of players on the artillery is a waste of manpower, using AI gunners commanded by a FDC player would be the way ahead. Really looking forward to using that version.

It's also almost impossible for a player to make the necessary manual adjustments unless the gun/mortar is on perfectly flat ground.

It's also almost impossible for a player to make the necessary manual adjustments unless the gun/mortar is on perfectly flat ground.

Doing an accurate aiming is quite easy and fast if you consider the following things :

- You don't have to be exactly on the azimuth and elevation with a precision of two decimals. Up to 0.05° of error is not a problem, and I think real artillery often doesn't take care of this tiny deviation.

- The movement are slower if you're watching in the optic

- If there is no optic, use the "+" key on the numeric keypad to zoom thus be more precise

- Decrease your mouse sensitivity in your control options of the game

I already tried to make a system to adjust the alignment of the piece to the horizon. But the alignment is lost as soon as the player get in gunner.

Hey man, I love this script:yay:

I have one problem though...

I have just tried to add this script to a mission but I'm getting an error saying that I have 2x class RscTitles.

In the pdf it says this:

If you already have a class "RscTitles" in the file :

- Do not copy the lines starting with "class RscTitles" and ending with "};"

- Add in the existing class "RscTitles" the line starting with "#include".

I don't understand this: - Add in the existing class "RscTitles" the line starting with "#include".

Could you explain? Thanks

I don't understand this: - Add in the existing class "RscTitles" the line starting with "#include".

Supposing the current (before installing the arty & log) description.ext of your mission looks like that :

existing dummy

class RscTitles
{
   existing foo
   existing bar
};

You should add the two #include of the arty & log like that :

#include "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\desc_include.h"

existing dummy

class RscTitles
{
   #include "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\desc_rsct_include.h"

existing foo
   existing bar
};

Doing an accurate aiming is quite easy and fast if you consider the following things :

- You don't have to be exactly on the azimuth and elevation with a precision of two decimals. Up to 0.05° of error is not a problem, and I think real artillery often doesn't take care of this tiny deviation.

- The movement are slower if you're watching in the optic

- If there is no optic, use the "+" key on the numeric keypad to zoom thus be more precise

- Decrease your mouse sensitivity in your control options of the game

I already tried to make a system to adjust the alignment of the piece to the horizon. But the alignment is lost as soon as the player get in gunner.

You are correct that it is not impossible, it just takes far too much time and tedious mouse movement when artillery is on slope, because X and Y both change simultaneously as you move the controller . Error of 0.5 is likely unless you go very slowly. It would be a little more manageable with input that only changes one axis at a time. But anyways, best solution I think is human fire direction and AI gunners (assuming they won't have issues aiming from minor slopes). Regardless, this addition is truly great.

Situation is fine as it is. Artillery IS powerful and should not be easy to use 'willy-nilly'.

No reason to change it just because you find it hard. Practice, practice, practice !

Situation is fine as it is. Artillery IS powerful and should not be easy to use 'willy-nilly'.

No reason to change it just because you find it hard. Practice, practice, practice !

It is not hard from a game play standpoint, but rather annoying from a interface standpoint. It does not present a game play challenge that is overcome by skill. It presents an input challenge that is determined by input device.

Real life input for indirect fire weapon is not via mouse (unless of course it is under computer control, in which case azimuth and elevation are automatic). X and Y axis input are discreet. (Or do you fantasize that lowering mouse sensitivity is a skill you acquired through intense practice?)

This is simply a design limitation, possibly inherent to the game (guns/mortars cannot be leveled on sloped ground). It is not challenging. It simply does not work well under the specific circumstances I indicated (guns/mortars emplaced unrealistically on a slope).

I know that aiming in a slope is a hard task and it will be better if the gun is aligned to the horizon. I also know that making the two axis X Y independant will be easier and more realistic.

These two things seems to be unfeasable in a technical point of view in the "mission script" side. The addon side can solve some problems, but being in the mission script side is a major advantage for players and editors.

I'll re-study how to do these things when priority tasks will be done.

I know that aiming in a slope is a hard task and it will be better if the gun is aligned to the horizon. I also know that making the two axis X Y independant will be easier and more realistic.

These two things seems to be unfeasable in a technical point of view in the "mission script" side. The addon side can solve some problems, but being in the mission script side is a major advantage for players and editors.

I'll re-study how to do these things when priority tasks will be done.

Really looking forward to your further developments. Couple of questions:

1. When dispersion is ordered, is the initial target point the center of the dispersion circle, or is the dispersion calculated right and up from the initial point? After firing an 8-round mortar mission with 50m dispersion, looking at the impact points on the map suggest that the aiming point was at the SW edge of the circle rather than the center.

2. Is there a simple way to disable the map impact points? (When relying on FO guidance, they are a bit of a "cheat").

3. Would it be possible to have man-portable artillery "CQ" without ammo reloads for the man-portable mortars? (As it is now you are dependent on loading CQ in and out of vehicles to move over any distance.)

1. When dispersion is ordered, is the initial target point the center of the dispersion circle, or is the dispersion calculated right and up from the initial point? After firing an 8-round mortar mission with 50m dispersion, looking at the impact points on the map suggest that the aiming point was at the SW edge of the circle rather than the center.

Each shot's position is randomly choosed in a circle having the target position as a center and the dispersion as the diameter.

2. Is there a simple way to disable the map impact points? (When relying on FO guidance, they are a bit of a "cheat").

Quoting the installation guide :

I suggest you to disable the « marker at impact location » feature. It's useful while testing or training but it's of course unrealistic. To disable this feature, set the variable "R3F_ARTY_CFG_montrer_marqueur_impact" in "R3F_ARTY\config.sqf" to false.

3. Would it be possible to have man-portable artillery "CQ" without ammo reloads for the man-portable mortars? (As it is now you are dependent on loading CQ in and out of vehicles to move over any distance.)

From this thread :

Put something like that in the init line of your unit or object/vehicle :

this addAction [("<t color=""#dddd00"">" + STR_R3F_ARTY_action_ouvrir_dlg_SM + "</t>"), "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, true, true, "", ""];

From this thread :

Put something like that in the init line of your unit or object/vehicle :

this addAction [("<t color=""#dddd00"">" + STR_R3F_ARTY_action_ouvrir_dlg_SM + "</t>"), "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, true, true, "", ""];

Tried this using both Takistan and Chernarus demo missions (changing nothing but adding this to the init line of a vehicle in the mission), but it does not do anything in preview mode. If I save as a pbo, I get a "create arty quarter" script not found error at mission start. Please note my scripting abilities do not extend beyond copy and paste.

Basically what our group is interested is having the computer function tied to a player or player carried object (mortar team leader), so that this person can open and close the computer at will. We do not want to use the logistics system, we don't want infinite reloads and we don't want mortars to be dependent on vehicles to move to a new firing position. Feedback after testing is that having to deploy/undeploy an object that can't be carried to use the computer function is just an added complication. Basically we would like to use the system in the simplest, slickest form possible.

Perhaps there could be a "light version" appropriate for man-portable mortar teams?

Hi Madbull & R3F team,

I really dig your script. It adds many welcome features to gameplay, is very enjoyable to use and to include in missions. I like the script based approach you and people like Mandoble take as it allows much flexibility without creating the need for downloading addon packs.

Many people on this thread complain about not getting good accuracy while using the mouse. You normally reply telling them to zoom while aiming (which is fair enough as it does help). Would it be possible to put a variable (is that the right word?) into the script that automatically zooms in when the user is aiming in an R3F artillery piece? That way, the mission maker could make it easier for people unfamiliar with the aiming procedure to have a helping hand. I mention this because the controls to zoom in an artillery piece (static weapon) are counter-intuiative and very different from the normal way to zoom in when using hand held weapons. This tends to annoy first time users and people inexperienced with the game.

EDIT: Maybe also it could over-ride the mouse sensitivity when you are aiming in an R3F Artillery Piece.

Edited by Das Attorney

@akd42 :

The line of code I sent you is to be pasted in the init linein the mission editor.

If the object is a mortar, by aiming it you'll have the option.

Avoid the preview mode which often provide a wrong (generally older) version of the mission. Save the mission and replay it.

To disable (and delete) the logistics check the installation guide.

@Das Attorney:

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Unfortunately, there is no scripting command which can zoom or modify the mouse sensitivity.

Quoting a private message with akd42 :

I a said a mistake about the addAction command in the init line. The STR_R3F_ARTY_action_ouvrir_dlg_SM string doesn't yet exist when the init line is executed.

So we need to replace it by :

this addAction ["<t color=""#dddd00"">Artillery computer</t>", "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, false, true, "", ""];

---

Some user-friendly functions will appear in the future versions to do easily the most common custom operations (add a computer to somebody/something, ...) on the arty & log.

It will also appear some script variables like R3F_ARTY_player_can_use_artillery and R3F_LOG_player_can_use_logistics to easily and dynamically allow/deny access to the features to specific players.

Edited by madbull

Here's a little (30 sec free Fraps) recording of R3F used with ArtilleryAI. Because of the restriction of recording within 30 seconds, I had to leave out most of the R3F targeting and also pick a target close by (as flight time can be well over 30 seconds if target distance is sufficiently far away). They work pretty well together, although it will be good to see the fully automated AI when Madbull and chums release the update.

ENkAckJbI2s

Bang bang bang - it's very loud :)

HI Madbull

Wanted to make sure Im using this correctly. Ive found that if I dont use the Ace Arty module I dont get the full set of shell like illum. However then we run into the red dot issue not showing up where the shell lands. Should I use the module or not go get the full range of ammo. Am I doing something wrong here. Other than this the system works great.

Quoting a private message with akd42 :

---

Some user-friendly functions will appear in the future versions to do easily the most common custom operations (add a computer to somebody/something, ...) on the arty & log.

It will also appear some script variables like R3F_ARTY_player_can_use_artillery and R3F_LOG_player_can_use_logistics to easily and dynamically allow/deny access to the features to specific players.

Tried this one out and it works perfectly. Very nice to see that if it is enabled on a mortar, you can disassemble and move the mortar and when you set up again the artillery computer is ready to go. Works fine on backpacks or even players, as well.

Looking forward to the future improvements Madbull, and thanks for all the help.

I have a question about the logic script. In OA I cant seem to edit the script so that armor can be lifted. Any suggestions there?

Hey i am here again. lol.

With your new R3F script pack this command doesn't owrk anymore:

this addAction [("<t color="#dddd00"">" + (localize "STR_R3F_ARTY_action_ouvrir_dlg_SM") + "</t>"), "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvr ir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, true, true, "]

Hey i am here again. lol.

With your new R3F script pack this command doesn't owrk anymore:

try this

this addAction [("<t color=""#dddd00"">" + STR_R3F_ARTY_action_ouvrir_dlg_SM + "</t>"), "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, true, true, "", "vehicle player != player"];

@Das Attorney :

Yes, bang bang. Having the AI able to execute fire order in the arty & log will be awesome. A really deadly feature.

@gunterlund21 (post #1) :

Don't use the ACE (or BIS, it's nearly the same) arty module with the current version.

With the module, the "red dot marker on impact" doesn't work (because of the spawn replacement shell).

Without the module, the advanced ammo (smoke, illumi, ...) doesn't work properly (because of their dependance to the module).

I'll try to provide advanced ammo types in the future versions.

@tuocs :

In OA I cant seem to edit the script so that armor can be lifted.

Is it really your question ?! Can't understand...

@Winchester Delta_1 & gunterlund21 (post #2) :

As my last post and the very first post inform :

this addAction ["<t color=""#dddd00"">Artillery computer</t>", "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, false, true, "", ""];

is the good init line code for the new version 1.4.

Hi.

Im no expert at this, but i have managed to install it so i can access ur demo in the editor. in preview of that mission everything works like a charm. But if i try to create a mission from scratch, i cant get it to work at all, even with the "nul = [this] execVM "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\create_arty_quarter.sqf"; initilasation.

Now i did see the install manual, but i dont think i understand it all, so i ask, these files mentioned,

*Step 1. Copy the directory "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG" ----- This is the mission files yes?

**"Step 2. You have to add to the file "description.ext" of the mission the following content" --- This is suposed to be in the main root? like, documents/arma2/missions? or is it suposed to be in a folder to the mission itself?

***""Step 3. You have to add to the file "init.sqf" --- same question as above

cause basicly i have the two folders from the dl in the mission folder, i have created two files as mentioned in step 2 and 3. (in missions in steamcommon/arma2 folder, in mp folder and in my documents arma2 folder to be safe ;P) but i still cant get the stuff to function when i create a mission from scratch. so i hope u can maybe explain step by step for a nuub like myself.

Sincerely

medic113

Ok, i managed to get the initialisation code to set up the tent and stuff at the sat phone, but no fire controll or anything. I did read trough manual again, and copied the folder in demo mission to main mission root dir. that made the different. but i still cant get it to work on mission made from scratch.

medic113

--------------

Ok i found the error. i missunderstod, i placed the files in missions, not "MY mission" .. man do i feel stupid `:\ but i got it to work so :))

Edited by Medic113
Found the sollution