Sign in to follow this  
madbull

[R3F] Artillery and Logistic: Manual artillery and advanced logistic (mission script)

Have any of you realised that you can put 2 rounds from the same arty piece on the same spot by setting 2 fire orders .... one high then one low.

AMAZING !

I have to read into why the AI won't work for me on vanillia A2.

So for instance on Quesh-Kibrul, I would put an item up the top left in the sea? or... the top left of the actual 'Land' of the island?

Ok I believe the height of the map AREA is the same as that of Utes, I placed an object at the top left of my area of map (excluding the black) :

/**

* English and French comments

* Commentaires anglais et français

* This file contains the configuration variables of the realistic artillery system

* Fichier contenant les variables de configuration du système d'artillerie réaliste

*/

/**

* Boolean, set to true to enable the "show impact location on map" feature

* Booléen indiquant s'il faut ou non afficher les marqueurs d'impact sur la carte (seulement au tireur)

*/

R3F_ARTY_CFG_montrer_marqueur_impact = false;

/**

* Boolean, set to true to enable the feature which permits to get coordinates from the player position

* Booléen indiquant s'il faut ou non permettre de récupérer des coordonnées à partir de la position du joueur pour définir la position de la batterie

*/

R3F_ARTY_CFG_autoriser_pos_joueur = true;

/**

* Boolean, set to true to enable the feature which permits to get coordinates by clicking on a map dialog

* Booléen indiquant s'il faut ou non permettre de récupérer des coordonnées en cliquant sur la carte pour définir la position de la batterie et de la cible

*/

R3F_ARTY_CFG_autoriser_clic_carte = true;

/**

* List of class names of guns and mortars to manage. The classes which inherits from the ones listed will be also managed.

* Liste des noms de classes des canons et mortiers à gérer. Les classes dérivant de celles listées seront aussi gérées.

*/

R3F_ARTY_CFG_pieces_artillerie = ["M119", "D30_Base", "M252", "2b14_82mm"];

/**

* Height of the island in meters (axis north-south)

* Hauteur de l'île en mètres (axe nord-sud)

*/

R3F_ARTY_CFG_hauteur_ile = 5120; // Quesh-Kibrul

//R3F_ARTY_CFG_hauteur_ile = 5120; // Utes

Edited by Solarghost

@phaeden :

If you enter 99 (or 999), the computer think you're talking about a position very far at east (or south). So the "error" (in fact it's a warning about an impossible fire mission) is normal.

> "placing one on Chernarus on the far NE corner (still inside the actual game area (and not the endless terrain))"

This is okay. Placing battery and target in the "normal" island area is correct and should work.

But using coordinates as 999 999 is wrong.

Are the island often based on a different system than the right-top corner based GPS coordinates system ?

EDIT : I MP'd you.

@tromac :

The INSTALL.pdf says to read the "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\tables\format.txt" to know how to add a new ammo type.

The file "format.txt" explained in english and french the table structure. It also says to use the "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\calcul_balistique\generer_table.sqf" script to generate automatically the table.

In this "generer_table.sqf", there is the explanation (english and french) on how to call the script to generate the table.

I worry I forget to specify that you need add the include to the table in the variable R3F_ARTY_tables in the file "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\init.sqf".

Ok, It's a bit complicated but I think it's well explained in the comments.

@Alderman [3rd MD] :

Okay. Feel free to send me all your feedback about the realism/practicality of the artillery system.

> "Also can you add in a option to disabled the uninstall of the artillery control center that would be great."

It takes only few minutes to add this feature. It will maybe come in the next version.

> "Does your plug in allow more than one Computer to?"

It already can do that. On the demo mission you have several arty command quarter.

> "having a computer system for the guns to adjust the elevation and azimuth that seems to be a WIP by another dev. would be great."

I'm not sure to understand what you mean.

@Kremator :

> "one high then one low"

You're right. And that could be a trick to increase your fire rate (time of flight are different, so you can synchronise them).

> "I have to read into why the AI won't work for me on vanillia A2."

Currently, the R3F system don't use AI.

@Solarghost :

Yes, it's at the right-top of the sea. To be exact, this is the 000 000 GPS position.

Please, keep your post clear : delete all the uneeded config variables.

Edited by madbull

@madbull, thanks for the response.

The islands I have are much larger than default. Therefore the grids go higher than 99. If you'd like, PM me and I can give you a link to an Alpha version of the island so you can see for yourself.

ok i got it to work this this, holy crap this thing is wicked! outstanding job, but i have no group to really the full capabitlys of a artillery units, so its some thing i will have to miss out on:( are you going to get it to work with A.I?

dont get me worng this is fantasic work and i can use rest of the mod,thanks again!

Aye .... AI capabilities for this would be SUPERB ! Both with arty (setting multiple rounds high/low) and with load/unload.

@phaeden : MP send

To all the ones who talk about AI capabilities :

We heard your wish. Orient the cannon with an AI without making an addon is hard.

The decision about that isn't taken. There are some other stuff to do before.

Madbull

Phaeden and I played with your system last night for a good 2+ hours in MP and I have to say that this script should definitely be up for an award. It totally changes the way Arma2 is played and takes real coordination to use.

One thing we found is the M119 is highly inaccurate. We tried several times to hit targets only to go way long or short. My thinking it the velocity of the round may not be matched up correctly with the tables?

The mortars are much more accurate but sometimes when you are adjusting fire it will come up with a value that does not make sense. We will keep testing this to come up with better commentary.

My hat is off to you sir. This is a stunning achievement!!!!! The future potential for this is awesome.

Good work Madbull i love your pack, really nice feature. ;)

@Madbull this is great!!

I am working to add "US vehicles pack" mod http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8580 w/o success from vilas specifically the "vil_m109_sph"

Respective ballistic traits are

'class vil_HE155mm : ShellBase {

hit = 450;

indirectHit = 50;

indirectHitRange = 18;

typicalSpeed = 1000;

explosive = 0.85;

cost = 300;

CraterEffects = "BombCrater";

explosionEffects = "BombExplosion";

model = "\ca\Weapons\shell";

ARTY_NetShell="ARTY_Sh_122_NET";

whistleDist=60;

airFriction=-0.000380;

So, when I follow the steps, I end up with a blank or No table found, no matter how I work to configure this.

Please guide me.

Thanks!

@gunterlund21 :

Thanks. I'm able to achieve a M119 fire mission with a precision of 10m.

Might you're doing something wrong ? Do you use a special ammo type ?

@phxfire :

As explained in the installation guide, you have to generate the ballistic table of your new ammo type.

I'm quoting myself about a precision :

The INSTALL.pdf says to read the "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\tables\format.txt" to know how to add a new ammo type.

The file "format.txt" explained in english and french the table structure. It also says to use the "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\calcul_balistique\gener er_table.sqf" script to generate automatically the table.

In this "generer_table.sqf", there is the explanation (english and french) on how to call the script to generate the table.

I worry I forget to specify that you need add the include to the table in the variable R3F_ARTY_tables in the file "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\init.sqf".

Use this "vil_m109_sph" will be great ! ;) Good game :)

Let me know of your progress.

Note : adding an action menu opening the arty computer interface from the vehicle should be nice :

this addAction [("<t color=""#dddd00"">" + (localize "STR_R3F_ARTY_action_ouvrir_dlg_SM") + "</t>"), "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, true, true, "", "vehicle player != player"];

in the init line of your vehicle

EDIT : very important. I didn't think to speak about that : The generation of the table takes several minutes. The game is not crashed, it's computing. Check the evolution of the ARMA2.RPT during the computation to be convinced.

EDIT2 : I personnaly tried it. That's very funny. The M109 has a very long range of fire.

Edited by madbull

Thanks for the feeback Madbull. Interesting that you get such good hits. Ill test some more. I also noticed your building the ranges off of a huge table. Wouldnt it be better to create a function that calcs for you. I have a couple of spreadsheets that may be able to help. One I made myself, and the other one is Blakes art calculator. He did a great job of creating a function in excel that calcs ranges and elevation. We can pursue Blake for permission if it looks like something you could use.

@gunterlund21 :

There is already a script who generate the table for us.

The system has his own ballistic algorithms and formulas.

We use precomputed tables to compute the fire solution faster (we can quickly deduct a range of elevations).

Madbull, this looks amazing, Great Work!

I'd like to test it myself but i'm havnig a few problems when i'm runnig the demo mission.

I cant check the contents of any vehicle i load, when i try to open the console i get the following error message:

"Resource R3F_LOG_dlg_contenu_vehicule not found"

I get something similar when i try to use the artillery computer aswell:

"Resource R3F_ARTY_dlg_saisie_mission not found"

Everything else works fine, i can re-pack and re-deploy the artillery base, i can move objects, put them in/attach them to vehicles/helos, just the consoles wont open as i mentioned above.

Any ideas?

New version release :

v1.1

- Fix of a bug with velocity of objects with ACE2

- Add the possibility to have a non-movable artillery command quarter

- Some additionnal precisions in the explanation about the ballistic table generation

Download on the first message.

Note to Alderman [3rd MD] : the Add, Drop, ... adjustments system will come in the next version, not in this 1.1.

@Killy_McMurder : You probably don't set your description.ext file correctly.

Everything works perfectly for me when following your install guide bro.

Thanks heaps I bloody love it!!!!!!!!!

Also 1 question, is it possible to only allow someone who has a radio backpack to be able to use it?

Great work man but is it possible to have the airlift feature only?, i really dont want the artillery thing

thank you

I released it in a mission script version because I think it's simpler for players and the server administrator.

It takes only 10 minutes to install it on a mission.

I'm not convinced of the interest of an addon version. If a mission maker add a new object/vehicle/cannon/... it will be harder to edit "on the fly" the configuration of [R3F] Artillery and Logistic.

If the need is real and strong, let me know.

It fully works in SP. You can compute fire solution and order the fire yourself.

Yes the need is very strong for an addon version. I would like to be able to use this system in ALL missions. This should be standard.

Please release an self initializing addon version!

Thx for the great scripts. Works perfectly!

Put it on our scripts section at Assault Mission Studio.

dlicon.gif

[R3F] Artillery and Logistic [1.1] by madbull

Use this "vil_m109_sph" will be great ! Good game

Let me know of your progress

@Madbull thank you for taking the time to respond, it would appear that since I have to "ask" how to accomplish this in a step to step manner, I should not be doing this in the first place. I am going to just take my time and learn more before I try and hammer this out. Thanks again!

@MADBULL

> "having a computer system for the guns to adjust the elevation and azimuth that seems to be a WIP by another dev. would be great."

I'm not sure to understand what you mean.

Something like this

Also here are a couple more things. Have the system keep zeros. Allow the decimal at least allows us to know that anything past the decimal is for a 8 or 10 digit grid reference. I think it would be nice to just have it enter all numbers without a decimal and go on a 8 digit grid reference which is plenty accurate already. People can at least estimate visually a 8 digit grid since the map itself gets as detailed as a 6 digit grid. This would be a bit more realistic. If you need me to make this more clear let me know. 10 digit precision is really just a bit to much for arma. This recommendation is coming from our guy who is a JTAC/FAC and aviator in RL, along with myself. The other reason is for those who go realistic with this and use voip commo to transmit call for fire and can use a grid reference and everything match up without having different numbering formats.

Another thing (probably for a far future version) would be a system to enter a mission number (ie AK0001) and have it saved including later adjustments. This allows the FDC to give the FO the mission number which would include of all the shots that are part of that mission, multiple rounds of fire, or even when there are splits (ie the FO calls for more rounds and adjustments) Later the FO could call the FDC and give them the mission number and the FDC could select that mission number and it would input the last used information (with adjustment input) just as in RL.

FDC = Fire Direction Center (aka the computer)

Thanks again Madbull. I will keep getting input from our guys and passing it on.

Edited by Alderman

It would really great to call in a real SEAD mission. I've always wanted to do that in game with real players.

Is it possible to pre-load items in a vehicle? I would like to have a C-130 loaded and in flight on mission start.