Sign in to follow this  
madbull

[R3F] Artillery and Logistic: Manual artillery and advanced logistic (mission script)

[R3F] Artillery and Logistic : Manual artillery and advanced logistic (mission script)

vehicle_content_mini.jpg tow_m119_mini.jpg lift_container_mini.jpg gun_orientation_mini.jpg ballistic_computer_mini.jpg

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJKQmRhIGO4&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJKQmRhIGO4&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAACezJ_lQ&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAACezJ_lQ&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

-

Description :

The [R3F] Artillery and Logistic is a mission-script system which revolutionizes the way to play about the logistic and artillery. This system permits to play in a realistic manner and fills a lack in ArmA 2.

The logistic part of the system permits to transport and to position any equipment type (ammo, static weapon, MASH, sandbag, ...) by different methods (lift, tow, load in cargo).

The artillery part of the system offers the possibility to the leader of an artillery battery to compute fire solutions (gun orientation, ...) according to the forward observer indications. Then the leader of an artillery battery can transmit the fire orders to the gunners (player or AI). The gunners orient their guns (or mortars) according to the angles of the fire order.

The two systems (artillery and logistic) are released together because they are complementary and it requires only one installation. However it is possible to disable the artillery features and keep only the logistic ones and vice versa.

Features :

Logistic :

- The player can carry objects and position them exactly as he wants (eg : static machine gun)

- Load/unload equipment in vehicles or containers

- A system of carrying capacity permits a realistic usage

- A large vehicle can transport small vehicles (eg : HMMWV in C130 ou motorcycle in MTVR)

- Tow equipment as an artillery piece

- Lift equipment as a vehicle, a container, an artillery piece, an ammo box, ...

- The logistic features of any object/vehicle can be disabled/enabled at any time

Artillery :

- An artillery command quarter which :

- is transportable (logistic system)

- provides access to a realistic ballistic computer (coordinates, adjustments, dispersion)

- permits to send fire orders to AI or player gunners (gun angles, ammo type, ...)

- serves as source of ammunition for artillery pieces nearby (100m)

- An interface when you're aboard an artillery piece wich permits to :

- read the azimuth and elevation of the gun (or mortar)

- consult the fire orders

- reload the ammo if an artillery command quarter is nearby

Characteristics :

- Intuitive in-game interactions (understood in 10 minutes with the demo mission)

- Easy installation of the two systems, with a guide step-by-step

- The vehicles and objects are automatically detected by the system (no execVM in the init line)

- Opened and compatible with addons which add vehicles, objects, guns or ammunitions

- Clearly-explained configuration files (french and english) which permit to customize the system

- Multilingual via a "stringtable" (default : english & french)

- Compatible : MP, JIP, SP

- Compatible to ArmA 2 (alone) + Operation Arrowhead (alone) + Combined Operations (A2 + OA) + ACE OA

Installation :

The installation is explained step by step in the INSTALL.pdf file (in english and french). It can be easily installed on a mission and does not require a lot of knowledge in ArmA 2 mission editing.

Download the [R3F] Artillery and Logistic and its demo

You have a question/trouble ?

Use the "Search this Thread" feature before asking it twice (button at top-right of this page).

Many questions were already asked as :

- how to add the artillery computer to an object/vehicle/player ?

this addAction ["<t color=""#dddd00"">Artillery computer</t>", "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\poste_commandement\ouvrir_dlg_saisie_mission.sqf", nil, 6, false, true, "", ""];

- how to preload objetcs at the mission start ? Check the bhaz's additionnal script : http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1807959&postcount=603

- how to add a new ammo type ?

- how to provide specific features to specific slot/objects ?

- how to get the island height ?

- etc...

Thanks.

If you can't find your answer in the thread or if you think you found an issue : feel free to post about it in this thread.

TODO list :

Level of priority #1 :

- update the documentation on how to generate a pre-computed table

- add a better documentation

- add functions and templates which permit to pre-load vehicles

- add a paradrop feature

- add other ammo types WP and illumi

- add a rate of fire and delay in the fire orders

- add the BAF objects in the logistics configuration

- add an aiming system with two independant axis (apparently, no nice way in the "mission script" side)

Level of priority #2 :

- try to automatically detect the island height (seems impossible/weird)

- take advantage of the lockCargo and the future hideObject scripting command

- add an option to hide the help column on the arty computer interface

As you can see, there are a lot of work.

Of course there is no announcement about the release dates of these modifications.

Changelog :

v1.6

- Added : smoke shells and cluster shells (sub-munitions/DPICM)

- Added : the mortar of the Stryker MC has now the artillery features

- Added : check if the AI is really able to aim in the requested direction before firing

Older versions :

v1.5

- Added : the AIs can now receive and execute a fire order

- Added : virtual magazines system wich allows to add different charges and effects without addon

- Added : MLRS and BM-21 Grad ballistics calculation for AA:OA and AA:CO 1.54+

- Added : config variables to give access to the artillery computer from inside or outside

- Added : the M109 gun from the vilas' project '85 is in the default configuration

- Fixed : compatibility with the OA 1.54 patch

- Fixed : UTF-8 encoding for the language files

- Improved : source optimization and beautification

v1.4

- Added : compatibility to ArmA 2 (alone) + Operation Arrowhead (alone) + Combined Operations (A2 + OA)

- Added : the Arrowhead (and ArmA 2) objects are now in the logisitics default config

- Added : the ACE OA objects are now in the logisitics default config

- Improved : the artillery system now manages both north-west and south-west origin coord systems

- Added : many new island heights are listed in the config file

- The stringtable.csv is replaced by a simpler alternative system

- Fixed : script warning when a JIP player was not fully initialized

- Added : we can now remove the logistics system (like we already could with the artillery part)

v1.3

- Improved : Lightweightness of the logistics (objects auto-detection)

- Improved : Fire solution search algorithm (max duration decreased and script warning removed)

- Fixed : Something seemed to make the ArmA 2 game engine unstable on specific computer configurations

- Only the players in the same faction are now displayed in the arty computer interface

- Help in the arty computer interface slightly improved

v1.2

- Fix the displayed value for elevation when the artillery piece is in slope

- Adjust the cost capacity of the containers which were equals to their own capacity

- Optimization of the ballistic calculations (speed and precision)

- The longitude/latitude coordinates format are now in a 4 digits notation

- The fire adjustments is now in a "Add, Drop, Left, Right + Dir. to target" notation

- Add the possibility to close/open the interface in an artillery piece

v1.1

- Fix of a bug with velocity of objects with ACE2

- Add the possibility to have a non-movable artillery command quarter

- Some additionnal precisions in the explanation about the ballistic table generation

v1.0

- First public release

Usage manual written by the community :

tromac @ OCB : http://tromacphotography.com.au/ocb/artysops_june.pdf

spirit6 @ going4 : http://www.going4.com/teamwork/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17

Edited by madbull

The Scenario Video is outstanding madbull

Clicking on the dl link gives me only a "http://.../" link :S

*edit: now it works*

Edited by Due-_-

Thanks

About the DL link : it was available only a few minutes after posting (there are cross-linking between DL package and the post).

Great work & nice videos!

Why we cant load ammo boxes into vehicles in stock ARMA is a mystery. The box is right there but you cant move it an inch.

So this is very handy. Thanks for creating and releasing. :)

great - this logistics script , very usefull for "must think some more and must plan before action" missions

you make VBS of Arma :D

Yes this is fantastic. One of the best things I've ever seen. I'm going through the configs right now and it looks like we can simply add these features to any "extra" vehicle we want. Just insert the class names in the config's. Thus we can add ACE2 stuff to the mix. Brilliant!

Unless of course I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing.

Great documentation as well. This will definitely be add to my WIP SP mission. Beautiful stuff.

Thanks a ton!

EDIT:

Has anyone been able to get the AI artillery to fire? I added it to my mission but when I hit compute and the screen goes white with "computing...." in the center. It never goes away though. I set it up exactly as the example mission provided and everything else works. I'm using it with ACE2, not sure if that matters though. I'm just trying to get the AI M119 to fire but this is what happens.

Not sure what to do here.

Edited by Manzilla

I have had the same "computing" bug , that doesnt go away. Have had to kill arma2 process and restart. Wierd.

I'm going through the configs right now and it looks like we can simply add these features to any "extra" vehicle we want. Just insert the class names in the config's. Thus we can add ACE2 stuff to the mix. Brilliant!
Yes, your analyse is good. It's addon compatible and easily configurable !
Has anyone been able to get the AI artillery to fire?
At the moment, only players can read fire orders and execute them. I didn't find a "nice" way to force AI to orient guns without creating an addon. And it is not our main goal.
the screen goes white with "computing...." in the center. It never goes away though.
Do you mean that this screen never end and the game is blocked ? Are you using an ArmA 2 artillery piece or an ACE2 one ?

EDIT :

@Kremator & Manzilla

Did you do special things ? Addon ? New artillery piece ?

To add a new artillery piece, you must generate a new precomputed table (see doc).

Does it work with the demo mission ?

It's not "normal". It works for all the beta testers.

It takes few seconds to compute.

Please give me more details about the problem.

Edited by madbull

I'm simply out of words... It's something what was missing from ArmA - now we can do the roadblocks like in the VBS2 tech demo. This made my day complete... Or maybe more than day :p

EDIT: Any chance of addon version? Maybe module or something...

madbull,

So this will not work in SP? Oh no. That must be what's causing the white computing screen. I was just using the regular M119 but with ACE2, old class name though.

;1552361']Any chance of addon version? Maybe module or something...
I released it in a mission script version because I think it's simpler for players and the server administrator.

It takes only 10 minutes to install it on a mission.

I'm not convinced of the interest of an addon version. If a mission maker add a new object/vehicle/cannon/... it will be harder to edit "on the fly" the configuration of [R3F] Artillery and Logistic.

If the need is real and strong' date=' let me know.

So this will not work in SP?

It fully works in SP. You can compute fire solution and order the fire yourself.

Edited by madbull

I released it in a mission script version because I think it's simpler for players and the server administrator.

It takes only 10 minutes to install it on a mission.

I'm not convinced of the interest of an addon version. If a mission maker add a new object/vehicle/cannon/... it will be harder to edit "on the fly" the configuration of [R3F] Artillery and Logistic.

If the need is real and strong, let me know.

It fully works in SP. You can compute fire solution and order the fire yourself.

And the AI M119's will fire what I enter? Hmmm, not sure why the white screen is showing.

And the AI M119's will fire what I enter? Hmmm, not sure why the white screen is showing.
At the moment, the AI can't execute a fire order. The artillery system is fully operated by players :

First you compute a fire solution ("comptue" button). Then you send the fire order to yourself (or another player) ("order high/low" button). Finally you execute the fire mission by get in a cannon.

Does the "computing screen" never end when you launch ArmA 2 with ACE2 ? And without ACE2 ?

At the moment, the AI can't execute a fire order. The artillery system is fully operated by players :

First you compute a fire solution ("comptue" button). Then you send the fire order to yourself (or another player) ("order high/low" button). Finally you execute the fire mission by get in a cannon.

Does the "computing screen" never end when you launch ArmA 2 with ACE2 ? And without ACE2 ?

Ahh, the white screen is causing it then. The white screen happens after I select my position, the fire position on the map, select the m119 and then hit compute. The white "computing" screen appears. The problem is that I had the m119 as AI.

No, it doesn't go away and I have to close out of A2. But the game doesn't actually crash or lock up. I can hit shift+num- "flush" and it flushes but the "computing..." screen turns black now. Other then that no keys work in game but I can hit ctrl+alt+delete, bring up the task menu and close the game that way. It still says it's running there and not "not responding".

That's too bad the AI can't at least fire if you place AI m119's. I'll just have to turn it off and use a different artillery system. Unfortunate cause I really wanted something I need to at least laze for the proper coordinates and send it back to the AI canons. Having to team switch back to the different positions is not an option in this SP mission.

I'll use the rest of the stuff though. I love that.

now it needs the aiming "computer" from Nouber and its perfect

Maybe if its possible to change charges , and find a way to know if at maximum charge , low angle , the round will hit obstables.

Edited by Hbomber110

i dont even get the artillery sys to work, i added the sat phone and put in nul = [this] execVM "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\create_arty_quarter.sqf"; but nothing happen, idk what to do,