Sign in to follow this  
nuggetz

Easy way to turn MP into SP?

I finally found a good combination that yields good performance. Oden's Civil warfare @ Duala. Saving the game while hosting my own game doesn't seem to work. Is there a simple way to get this MP map into a SP type game that I can save and resume? I haven't tried simply saving it as SP after loading it up in the editor but would that work?

Getting it into SP can be very easy or very hard depending on how the mission was made. Getting saving to work, though, will probably be quite hard even if you do get the mission working in SP.

Basically if a mission is written to work on both a hosted server AND a dedicated server, and checks if the mission parameters (from description.ext) are defined before using them (since they will be NULL in SP), then it will work in SP as well. If not, you'll have to modify it so that it does (generally look for isServer, isDedicated and isNull player statements as that's where you're likely to need to edit things).

I took the MP Warfare mission (stock mp mission) and stuck it in the missions folder.

What that did was remove the whole lan setup thing I had to use prior to playing it single player. I'm able to save games. I've not run into any errors or noticed any show stoppers.

So that was kind of easy. Not sure how that will work with other missions, but it's a start.

Like I said, it highly depends on how the mission's code was written.

In addition to what I already said, respawns do not work in any way in single player. Single player is always side respawn (which means you're always able to switch to any playable unit at will as well as once you die) regardless of description.ext settings. Seagull, insant, base and group respawns are impossible in single player.

Simplest answer; create a passworded LAN server and play the mp mission alone, depending on the complexity of the mission it could just be too much of a pain to do it any other way. With the way warfare missions are designed, it's really hard to make save games compatible in any way.

If a mission is coded to work on a dedicated server it might not work on hosted LAN either, depending on how it was coded, so in some cases you will actually have to create your own dedicated server on your own machine and join it.

Of course you can always just try and see, but if you notice any bugs you know why they're there ;)