Sign in to follow this  
HarryZhe

gears?

is it possible at all to add gears/ability to change gears to vehicles, via the action menu? I feel like it's really missing...

Depends what vehicles and mods you're using, I know that in an APC (not really sure if it was in a mod or not) you can pick up AT4's from the gear menu, not sure how regular this option is, if it is restricted to a certain mod or what vehicle you would actually get the gear from.

But that's all I've seen as far as grabbing gear from a troop transport vehicle goes.

I think he might be talking about shifting gears for the transmission/engine.

It would be rather clunky to have it in the action menu do you think not? P.S This should really be in the Addons request thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74039&page=120

Welllll I had the same thought... But then thought in arma you arent really changing gears a whole lot anyway. Maybe they could be bound to buttons? i dont know.

Well gears and throttle control is something I was hopeing for in arma 2 so no its not a bad idea. were just throwing in our thoughts.... No need to sound so upset :P

i know theres mods for top speeds and mods to hill climbing and offroad capabilities... Surely this wouldnt be a a far cry from that?

Im really surprised ACE or something haven't tried to implement it. So much focus on having a bazillion guns but the vehicles still drive like battlefield 1942.

Anyone who's played a tank sim will understand what i mean about gears totally changing tank operation and actually kind of making driving more interesting and engaging. Surely if it was written in a modular way, say, the speed of the vehicle is part of the function determining top speeds, acceleration and "grunt" per-gear, it could be more or less copy-pasted onto any vehicle.

It sounds simple and dumb, but requiring concentration and skill to drive around would, i think, really change vehicular combat for the better. The driver would have more purpouse. I mean you can turn lights on and off and run out of fuel and check your speed... having no gearing seems ridiculous

Edited by HarryZhe

all vehicles in arma have gears. but theres no manual gear transmission.

it would be really cool to have a manual gear transmission for some vehicles. 2 keys for shifting up and down and maybe a clutch also. but i doubt that this is even possible with the arma engine^^

shifting via action menue would be stupid i think because there are already enough functions set and its not very handy.

all vehicles in arma have gears. but theres no manual gear transmission.

it would be really cool to have a manual gear transmission for some vehicles. 2 keys for shifting up and down and maybe a clutch also. but i doubt that this is even possible with the arma engine^^

shifting via action menue would be stupid i think because there are already enough functions set and its not very handy.

I suggested action menu 'cause i didnt know how workable scripting to keys would be. I guess maybe you could bind it to the prone and crouch keys