Sign in to follow this  
Gen. Shaffer

Enjoying the full ArmA experience without multiplayer?

Please read this before you just say "Get multiplayer!" I do have an internet connection--unfortunately, because of where I live (out in the sticks) dial-up is my only option. That pretty much means that multiplayer for any game is pretty much out. But I hear so many good things about how amazing multiplayer ArmA is...so I was wondering what I could do, short of hacking into someone else's internet or getting a huge LAN party going...? Thanks in advance ^_^

Hi there !

You could try out a range of singleplayer missions maybe. There are many to choose from :) As i understand you do have a internet connection evern though its a bad ISP, however you will be happy to hear that pbo files.. or in other words the missions files.. are pretty small in KB, therefore a quick download. With missions enabeling AI's you still get the feel of playing as a team. You can find them here in forums and other websites as for example www.armaholic.com Even though many sp player missions are really good, nothing beats a good coop with friends or a nice session of public gaming online.

Lets hope they will give you better ISP pretty soon, wherever you game Arma. Stay away form hackers is my advice !

The beauty of ARMA is you can still play the multiplayer missions on your own via LAN as the AI will keep you entertained.

The beauty of ARMA is you can still play the multiplayer missions on your own via LAN as the AI will keep you entertained.

Yeah I spend a great deal of my "MP" time playing this way. More of a no hassles thing than a connection issue. :)

Hi, as spanish... i would suggest you to steal someone else's WI-FI connection, but as ArmA player i would suggest you to get some commands reference and begin to do your own missions if you can mount a LAN with your fellas or get a better connection, you could also go to armaholic.com or to ofpec.com and check there for download campaigns and SP missions that don't require addons and that have a good rating by the players who already played 'em; you can also find scripts and many resources in ofpec.com that willl be very usefull if you gonna do your own missions. Let's C ya

I haven't tried it with Arma2 yet but I used to host co-op games of Arma for my brother with both of us on dial up, used the internal voice comms and all. Ping could be a bit of a problem at times but it was generally excellent fun. At one point we had a third member join when we were playing without a password and even that seemed OK, it died in the arse when a fourth joined though.

Scott

Think MP right now is a little over rated unless you happen to blunder into one of those rare , team play oriented servers. A lot of servers are like playing DOOM with modern weapons.Not to mention all the mods out there (some are excellent and worth the download however) you have to download just to join.

I find the AI (even with all of their faults) can be much more co-operative, willing to take orders and communicative (almost to an extreme sometimes) than a lot of online players.

They require a lot of micro management but then again , you are the squad leader aren't you? Don't confuse the AI in ArmA2 with the scripted bots in other games. These guys are quit often able to make their own decisions.

I'd say enjoy the SP and LAN if you can and don't fret too much about not being able to play online. You really aren't , for the most part , missing much.

Hopefully the game that we can't mention will resolve a lot of these issues but that remains to be seen.

Tons of excellent SP missions out there and then there is always the editor where you can get engrossed for many wasted hours.:p

Anyone mention that the game has a great editor too, make your own sp, and mp missions, you dont need to go on any server to play your own missions, just make sure you have the respawn script in your mission and setup for mp accordingly and you can play your own mp version missions in mp.