Sign in to follow this  
Taurus

Basic SQF-Scripting, the guide

Nice one, looks like it could be useful :) thanks.

I know you said you won't be doing locality issues in your guide but is there ANY chance of it happening? as that is where a lot of people who are new to scripting mess up.

Edited by Andy455

Hi, yes, but it was just a starter document :)

There will be more advanced topics covered too, like running serveral scripts alongside eachother, setting vehicle variables and such.

Taurus,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is a great document bound to grow!

Have you consider including in it many of the tips posted here?

This document could grow into the ArmA2 Scripting Bible! :D

Thanks a million again!

All the very best, Splicer.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Splicer I'm planing on extending the variable(data type) section to include some examples of how to use them, for example iterate over arrays, setting arrays and so forth. And the more advanced things too ofc as promised.

The tips and examples on this forum is to specific to a current setup of a mission and I don't think it'll do any good for someone new.

Btw I updated the document now if anyone would be interested.

Awesome, thanks.

Great guide, and I'm looking forward to updates! :)

Thx for this tutorial, Taurus!

Put it on our tutorials section at Assault Mission Studio.

dlicon.gif

Basic SQF-Scripting Guide [3.2] by Taurus

Edited by Imutep

Hey nice tutorials Taurus :)

Well i too use/used some very intresting and important tutorials back in the day's as i started to learn scripting.

The tutorials was made by snYpir the founder of E.C.P. and a really genius.

The look of the tutorials isn't the best ( simple .txt files ) but the important is what they include.

Check them out if you are really interested in learning how to script in a resource and engine friendly way.

Bad for me, that i found thouse tutorials way too late ( after i had found out most stuff explained in the tutorials on a very hard way by myself ) but after reading them i was like "Damn everything he wrote is absolutly right."

So check them out if you like to lear from a professional. ;)

Writing Functions By snYpir

Intro to Functions By snYpir

Keep up your good work Taurus

thanks for that guide. It's really usefull.

Suggestion for future update: On page 5 after the picture, I think you should add that you can simply alt-tab the game to do the programming stuff. No need to close it. I know you never said to close it but new people might not know that and find it really boring to always have to quit the game to change a line or 2 in your script then relaod the hole game again, etc.

Suggestion for future update: On page 5 after the picture, I think you should add that you can simply alt-tab the game to do the programming stuff. No need to close it.

I would like to add that you can also start/run ArmA2 in windows mode which allows you to have access to all windows applications from the Taskbar.

This, in my personal opinion, works better than alt-tab. :D

My 2 cents.

Best, Splicer.

Hey I totaly agree Splicer!

In fact I always run my game in window mode, I don't why I suggested alt-tab :confused:

Edit: oh yeah I know why, I do alt-tab even if I am in window mode :P

Taurus,

Congratulations for this guide. I think it fits very well between way too basic introductions to SQF and über complex examples.

Personally I find it most interesting because it makes the bits and blocks very clear (what is a procedure, a function, variables, etc.)

Looking forward for more updates.

Thank you :).

Very nice work Taurus! Just what I've been looking for; Mr Murray's is not very detailed on the scripting side.

Taurus,

The new version is excellent! Great details and nice examples.

Keep up the good work!

THANKS! Best, Splicer.

Sorry, I am somewhat new to scripting but how do you actually open this file above? I downloaded it, but am I suppose to extract it to somewhere or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Whyte

Sorry, I am somewhat new to scripting but how do you actually open this file above? I downloaded it, but am I suppose to extract it to somewhere or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Whyte

use winrar or something to unzip the file, then open with adobe reader, both programs are freeware.