Undead Mod 2 development got stuck in fixing a few issues in MP mainly related to

Join in Progress map updates of infected locations' status not showing correctly for JIPs. Join in progress has a very peculiar implementation by BIS

and requires special treatment. There is not much more that can be tried to fix this, because dozens of

different approaches to handle JIP were tested.

If there is someone out there who is an extreme ace in JIP-coding, drop me a line.

Due to the advent of Arma3, it seems reasonable to release the undead mod2 for Arma2 before Arma3 comes out

or it was all for nothing and besides the JIP issue it is working great ;)

Concerning the portability to Arma3, i see no serious problems yet to do so, because i successfully managed to port TroopMon3 to Arma3

also without too much re-coding.

What exactly are you having a problem with? Are the zombie locations defined as markers and not being updated for JIP clients? Or is it like a task and the progress isn't updating?

Thanks for feedback. Hope there will be Undead Mod 2 Alpha Supporter edition to preorder :)

What exactly are you having a problem with? Are the zombie locations defined as markers and not being updated for JIP clients? Or is it like a task and the progress isn't updating?

The markers are not updated.

The best practice way seems to be to register a joining player to the server via eventhandler

and then have the server issue the redrawing of the map on all clients. Brute method to ensure that all players

share the same map marker references.

But for some reason it does not work.

if (!isServer && isNull player) then  
{      //JIP player
waitUntil {!isNull player};

// update map globally to synchronize
// map and display markers for JIPs
UNDEAD2_SERVERREDOMAP = [];
publicvariable "UNDEAD2_SERVERREDOMAP"; 
};

EDIT: Managed to fix the JIP issue by rewriting the eventhandler.Works now for non-dedicated server <-> client, not tested for dedicated but should work for it too.

Map markers correctly show for JIP players.

Edited by Charon Productions
Fix

The markers are not updated.

The best practice way seems to be to register a joining player to the server via eventhandler

and then have the server issue the redrawing of the map on all clients. Brute method to ensure that all players

share the same map marker references.

But for some reason it does not work.

{      //JIP player

// update map globally to synchronize
// map and display markers for JIPs
UNDEAD2_SERVERREDOMAP = [];
publicvariable "UNDEAD2_SERVERREDOMAP"; 
};

Does this work? :confused:

{
 CHN_markerArray= [	
       "mil_objective",
"mil_marker",
"mil_flag",
"mil_ambush",
"mil_destroy",
"mil_start",
"mil_end",
"mil_pickup",
"mil_join",
"mil_warning",
"mil_unknown"
];
 onPlayerConnected '{_x setMarkerPos (markerPos _x)} forEach CHN_markerArray';
};

Concerning the portability to Arma3, i see no serious problems yet to do so, because i successfully managed to port TroopMon3 to Arma3 also without too much re-coding.

Yes Charon, I will have mad sex with you.

Give us your Paypal so we can give you money. NOW.

Yes Charon, I will have mad sex with you.

Give us your Paypal so we can give you money. NOW.

Is that a serious date offer? ;) :devil:

Plus money? Wow.

Found some time to make some Arma3 tests. Initial tests went nice, then

i tried to debug some odd behaviour where the undead would suddenly all stop at one spot.

Took me a couple of hours to stop digging into fsm code to realize that they were surrounding a tiny snake :D

My target exclude list from Arma2 didn`t consider Arma3 animals yet. Typical example of a special case design flaw.

Now a (! _x isKindOf "Animal") check considers the general case.

Most of the thousands of hours that I spent on ARMA 2 was solely with the Undead Mod so I don't mind donating money to you as my gratitude for all of these years of fun and as a incentive to keep going and maybe speeding up development just a little bit :)

Edited by Leaulux

This was my favorite mod on Arma 2, It would be so great to see this mod on Arma 3

I hope the suggested fix above works ^_^ For the future - I've notice that A3 handles JIP a little bit nicer...Markers created by players will stay even for JIP players. I've also notice that A3 has a completely new Multiplayer framework that also might make things a tad easier.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_MP

Edited by Genesis92x

I hope the suggested fix above works ^_^ For the future - I've notice that A3 handles JIP a little bit nicer...Markers created by players will stay even for JIP players. I've also notice that A3 has a completely new Multiplayer framework that also might make things a tad easier.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_MP

That sounds promising. Makes things way easier.

Good news is that he undead have not as much a collision problem in Arma3, even though one flaw of the Arma2 animation core made it into Arma3 unchanged as well as the core fsms are mostly the same.

Changes in the general config structure are a bit of a struggle.

Yeah, ArmA 3 is more flexible in terms of JIP...but only if you know how to work with Bohemia's new fancy scripts. I haven't tested the Undead Mod with A3 yet, is it possible (however slim) that the previous bugs were fixed/changed?

By the way, have you looked into the 'SetMarkerXXXLocal' command? Might be something useful from what I can read. Except I can't find the command on Bohemia's site, yet it is referenced all over. Take a look at this

http://hx3.de/editing-scripting-167/problem-jip-objtask-19610/

Edited by Genesis92x
Adding Information

Hi Charon.

First of all, I wanted to thank you for your work on your mod which is currently the best zombie mod (all video games included) ever, along with DayZ.

I still play it, and i'm still making custom missions with it. I enjoyed it long before DayZ came out and I like the contamination thing which leads to enormous waves on zombies coming at you.

So i'm thrilled to know that you didn't give it up and you're still working on it.

However, the previous talks made me confused : Are you planning to release The Undead Mod V2 for Arma2 or Arma 3 ? Because I know porting can take time and I think maybe it would be preferable if you finish it for Arma2 as you started it and then maybe port it for Arma 3, or leave the community port it iself maybe ?

Also, how close are you from finishing ? (rougly, really, i'm not expecting a release date or anything, it's just to know if I should keep on working hard on big custom missions or give it up because of a close release date)

Anyway, thanks again, everyone in this thread is thankful for your job. I would be also glad to donate if you'd permit us.

Cya

For the rest of you guys : Is anyone still hosting MP sessions if the Undead Mod ? I would be happy to find people to play it with. Does anyone have any custom missions to share (apart from the few missions that are avalaible on the web, like Day of The Apocalypse and such)

For the rest of you guys : Is anyone still hosting MP sessions if the Undead Mod ? I would be happy to find people to play it with. Does anyone have any custom missions to share (apart from the few missions that are avalaible on the web, like Day of The Apocalypse and such)

I have some missions, but they are made for my amusement so possible you wont like it. I like to create zombie epidemic during normal life, like what will police do, and how fast will it spread. I will soon upload more videos of my missions in Undead mod so I will let you know about them. If you want these missions I would gladly send them to you or anyone else.

Here is the video of me making one mission with zombies in Arma 1, this is the type of missions I have a lot for Arma 2 (also with I44 mod, Predator mod by Charon, and many typse of contaminations, like millitary base, fallujah, villages or cities in chernorus...). I ll put some of arma 2 gamplays today on upload.

But, well, I have one video created as How I make missions for Undead mod, so watch this first.

This is my theard about how I make missions in Arma 1 with 3 link to videos of my missions:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138457-Zombie-sandbox-mission-s&p=2203475#post2203475

and this is my Arma 1 playlist:

and my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hkokotovic

P.S. Yes, I have desire of becoming youtube partner (in 30 years :)) so, click, click, like, like, subscribe!!!!!

Hey been working on a Mission with this However Is there any way to Make it so player as Blue/RED/INDI/CIV side dies he can respawn and change to Zed and hunt down his friends and kill them? if no awww iv wasted my time lol

This would be cool if you can get this to work so if your infected you can turn and Kill your firends.

I have some missions, but they are made for my amusement so possible you wont like it. I like to create zombie epidemic during normal life, like what will police do, and how fast will it spread. I will soon upload more videos of my missions in Undead mod so I will let you know about them. If you want these missions I would gladly send them to you or anyone else.

Here is the video of me making one mission with zombies in Arma 1, this is the type of missions I have a lot for Arma 2 (also with I44 mod, Predator mod by Charon, and many typse of contaminations, like millitary base, fallujah, villages or cities in chernorus...). I ll put some of arma 2 gamplays today on upload.

But, well, I have one video created as How I make missions for Undead mod, so watch this first.

This is my theard about how I make missions in Arma 1 with 3 link to videos of my missions:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138457-Zombie-sandbox-mission-s&p=2203475#post2203475

and this is my Arma 1 playlist:

and my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hkokotovic

P.S. Yes, I have desire of becoming youtube partner (in 30 years :)) so, click, click, like, like, subscribe!!!!!

I am highly interested in your missions, man. Could you upload them somewhere so that I fool around with them a bit ? i'd greatly appreciate that.

Falcos, I think it's possible. I don't know myself how to do it but at least there was a guy who was creating a mission with this feature. it's called "Nightmare Undead Mod" you can look it up on Youtube, he made videos of it. But he never made the mission public so I never had a chance to catch a glimpse of it in the editor and see the scripts.

I am highly interested in your missions, SKR. Could you upload them somewhere so that I fool around with them a bit ? i'd greatly appreciate that. (for Arma2)

Falcos, I think it's possible. I don't know myself how to do it but at least there was a guy who was creating a mission with this feature. it's called "Nightmare Undead Mod" you can look it up on Youtube, he made videos of it. But he never made the mission public so I never had a chance to catch a glimpse of it in the editor and see the scripts.

If a moderator see my message, sorry I had problems replying with quotes, I may have open a new thread without wanting to. Sorry about that.

Tomorow, I will get my youtube to look good and I will upload more videos of Undead mod, and I will send missions. First I want to put list of addons I used dor mission so I can give it to you with full list of things you need or should have.

Cool ! Thank you very much !

By the way, cool videos :)

Tnx! Since end of 2010. I record everything I play so I have massive collection of pure gamplay videos and I want to put all of them on youtube (safty archive + partnership). For now I have more than 700GB database with about 900 hours of gameplay. Arma 2 is about 1/3 of all. :) I am also planning to do bug collection video for undead mod to help Charon.

Here, this is the first upload, but here I am only creating mission and I test it a little bit.

For now I have more than 700GB database with about 900 hours of gameplay.

Holy crap !

Haha I see you have videos of the Almighty Duke Nukem 3D ! Good job.

Holy crap !

Haha I see you have videos of the Almighty Duke Nukem 3D ! Good job.

Well, this are videos which were ordered properly, there are more of them which arent. I put all ordered videos in exel table with part of table in which i put something about video so i can easily found what i am looking for (but it is on croatian).

I uploaded more arma2 undead mod videos. But missions you can get today nights (in CET) because I had to do some things and I faild to get it done. Mission Ill give to you as soon as I can. Be patient.

P.S. This is why I am thrilled with arma3 on steam, because of steam workshop. With it I could just upload those missins, and modders would have easyer life.

Edited by SKR

I'll be waiting, no worries.

I am currently trying to find a way to enhance the current Undead Mod (is 0.84 beta the last version ? Because I heard about a 0.9 version but it's nowhere to be found) by using the Daizy DayZ's Single Player mode, and swapping the zombies by the Undead Mod's zombies. What I'd like to do is keeping the original Dayz's loot system, thirst/hunger, the random vehicle spawning, the melee weapons system but replace the original zombies (which are too easy to beat) by the Undead's, because they are way scarier and harder. That would be the ultimate survival zombie experience now, wouldn't it ?

Any news about the mission, SKR ?

By the way, maybe you can answer this for me: When I put a lot of zombies (fast ones) all over the map, they tend to go crazy : first, it takes a lot of time for them to actually start chasing people and terrorizing the cities, and they really often just run around sometimes in the middle of civilians without attacking them. This usually doesn't happen when I put less zombies. They act more "normal".

Also, should I put only one infected module for all the zombies all over the map or do I need to put a module everytime I put a group of infected ?

Any news about the mission, SKR ?

By the way, maybe you can answer this for me: When I put a lot of zombies (fast ones) all over the map, they tend to go crazy : first, it takes a lot of time for them to actually start chasing people and terrorizing the cities, and they really often just run around sometimes in the middle of civilians without attacking them. This usually doesn't happen when I put less zombies. They act more "normal".

Also, should I put only one infected module for all the zombies all over the map or do I need to put a module everytime I put a group of infected ?

Too many zombies require more computations thus slow down the script execution cycles.

The version you are using was not optimized yet. Optimization was then done i think first with V0.9 (never released though)

and then a complete re-write of everything with Undead2 making it very fast.

You need only 1 infected module for the whole map. Putting two will create two "competing" modules and put a double burden on the cpu, not needed.

Struggling my way through the Arma3 config jungle ...

Hey Charon ! Thank you for your answer, this makes a lot of sense now.

Why is 0.9 not downloadable ?

So you're going for Arma 3 only ? Not Arma 2 ? (I have pre-bought A3 anyway)