The new version contains "smart" civilians to be enabled with a module, that will make them run away from undead upon witnessing them killing another civilian nearby.

If they are male, they will then either pick up a dropped weapon from a human corpse or try to enter the nearest free vehicle to use to drive off to another town (without exiting it of course).

If no free vehicle is available they will run around in panic hehe.

Nice, can you do something similiar with ai Soldiers to prevent that the Z's get too close so they keep a save distance?

Well they got the guns, don't they? But maybe for soldiers that are out of ammo.

Actually for that case, it's a cool idea. Looks silly if a soldier out of ammo let's himself be killed rather than running for his life hehe.

Edited by Charon Productions

The new version contains "smart" civilians to be enabled with a module, that will make them run away from undead upon witnessing them killing another civilian nearby.

If they are male, they will then either pick up a dropped weapon from a human corpse or try to enter the nearest free vehicle to use to drive off to another town (without exiting it of course).

AMAZING! Can't wait to see that.

BUT...let us spare a thought for our undead friends...will they be smart enough to stand a chance against such a clever clogg human resistance!? Will you be giving them enough of an AI makeover to remain a serious threat?

If our humans can get in a vehicle, flee, and remain in said vehicle - zombies will have to be able to swarm and infect/destroy ordinary vehicles with ease...

And if civilians can arm themselves, the zombies will have to have some sharp pathfinding and quick attack to prevent them all being mowed down...

Maybe the infection system could be more intermingled with your fleeing civilian idea. I would LOVE to see civilians that get infected, and THEN flee to another town by car, only to get out, go meet their buddies, and then...you know the rest.

AMAZING! Can't wait to see that.

BUT...let us spare a thought for our undead friends...will they be smart enough to stand a chance against such a clever clogg human resistance!? Will you be giving them enough of an AI makeover to remain a serious threat?

Their sheer numbers are their advantage, there will be thousands of undead against the humans ;)

If our humans can get in a vehicle, flee, and remain in said vehicle - zombies will have to be able to swarm and infect/destroy ordinary vehicles with ease...

And if civilians can arm themselves, the zombies will have to have some sharp pathfinding and quick attack to prevent them all being mowed down...

Pathfinding is an Arma-engine proprietary thing and is generally kind of slow and it is buggy especially for agents. A major part of the new undead mod is about dealing with insufficiencies of that pathfinding and stuck units, but i can't say that the result is sharp hehe. But it's the best that i have been able to squeeze out of it. It's quite a hack actually ...

But don't be worried about the undead, only male civilians can use weapons anyway. In my tests, the infection spreads fast even though the civilians flee.

Maybe the infection system could be more intermingled with your fleeing civilian idea. I would LOVE to see civilians that get infected, and THEN flee to another town by car, only to get out, go meet their buddies, and then...you know the rest.

For the zombies, this is how it is planned. With the infected, there is no time to migrate after infection, because just as in 28 days later, a human will "turn" within 10 seconds, which makes the whole thing enormously dynamic ;)

I'm very glad to see this picked up again. One improvement I would like to see is some more animations. It's rather silly when all of the zombies are walking towards you in sync, but then again, maybe they were just trying to replicate Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Okay, fine, Charon. FINE.

You seem to have a perfectly good response to everything we throw at you. Just, carry on. (xxx)

Speaking of weapons, I know that when a human dies/becomes infected because of a zombie, it creates a whole new unit in their position, but I think it would be neat if the zombies could retain past gear that they had (Besides weapons) like Ammo, Maps etc. Because it's very difficult to make the zombies actually have anything on them. Another idea would be to have them drop their primary (or secondary/special) weapon on the ground where they died. It just doesn't really make sense that all of the gear magically disappears from the infected (Especially things they didn't even have equipped).

And do civilians attack zombies now? Because I've noticed in the past that the only way to make civilians even attempt to fight anything is to do the skimpy AI Chance 0% from something with a different faction, and they will occasionally attack things. My guess would be that it's another part of the "Smart" module?

I was doing some undeadding the other night, and remembered how much I enjoy hearing the radio message from a soldier on your side turning into a zombie. It really is quite creepy when you get like 10 in a row...

So I was thinking. If you had access to some good voice recording, and can trigger radio messages from other certain events, could you implement more of these? It would be awesome if, as soon as a soldier is infected, he has a chance of saying on the radio, 'Holy shit, one of these crazy guys just took a chunk out of my arm!' And a few other variations...some could be generic but tactical-sounding - 'We're got an unknown threat down here, requesting support from other available units...'

And the 'turning' moment can have variations too...perhaps a desperate scream, and a sleepy-sounding drunky moan...

Maybe even, after a while, some morale-destroying messages from surviving soldiers who have had most of their teammates noshed (not sure how you'd detect that), exclaiming 'We're all gonna die! We've gotta get out of here!' etc.

It makes no difference to actual gameplay, but it would add a ton more outbreak-beginning fear and atmosphere...

Very glad to see this mod picked up again, cant wait to see how it turns out.

I like your idea jack, others saying they are out of ammo or alone and pleading for help could be good as well. How about allowing squadless soldiers to join up with other soldiers they come across, maybe thats possible?

Edited by WhiteShadow09

Wow, I simply looked back over to this thread to download the 84 version considering I lost that updated beta one I got sent, to find it back alive!

Great work Charon, cant wait for the new version :D

When I run the installer for the first part, all I get is "Failed to retrieve download information. Please review your proxy or firewall settings.".

I turned off my firewall, didn't help, and I have no idea what proxy is.

Does anyone know if this mod cleans up after itself? For example, does it remove dead infected after some time and remove empty groups and such?

Does anyone know if this mod cleans up after itself? For example, does it remove dead infected after some time and remove empty groups and such?

Sorry for the late reply,

Ah, I can't remember if it does or not...I think it *should* but I always used CLY's group remove empty group script here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?113434-CLY-Remove-Dead-script

It does it easily and well.

Sorry for the late reply,

Ah, I can't remember if it does or not...I think it *should* but I always used CLY's group remove empty group script here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?113434-CLY-Remove-Dead-script

It does it easily and well.

That's all well and good, but I have to admit, one of my favourite things about Charon's zombie apocalypse is discovering a town absolutely littered with dead bodies, burnt out cars and debris. What the hell did I miss here...? Some of these calm moments speak volumes more than the actual combat scenes...

I want to change the maximum distance from which zombie can detect targets - what i should to change in config? Thanks

can someone tell me what gun these "revert" injections work with ..

Magazine name: CHN_10Rnd_762_Revert

Ammo name : CHN_762_Revert

the sample mission has a dmr loading in the Init file but in game the clip will not load into dmr..

is it suppose to be any rifle with a 7.62mm round? i ask because i have tried to do exactly that to find out for myself and it didnt work in Any gun..

Edited by Lordprimate

Hi,

When I shoot zombies i hear weird voices being yelled out? Like another language. how can I change\fix this please..

if i place any resistance units on map, they become a zombie. If i go next to them, they beat me. Mostly I die immediately. But the Resistance doesn't move like the other real zombies. They only beat me if i stand next to them.

Is it a know bug? what can i do??

how do i delete a unit after it has become a zombie, for example i use scripts to spawn my units. man = "prieset" creatunt positon spawn; etc but when that man is infected he becomes a zombie. once i kill that zombie i want to deletehim. (deleteVehicle ........) then respawn him again as a normal man. i just need to know basicly what does the variable name of man become after her is infected. JUSt him. not all the zombies just Individually

how do i delete a unit after it has become a zombie, for example i use scripts to spawn my units. man = "prieset" creatunt positon spawn; etc but when that man is infected he becomes a zombie. once i kill that zombie i want to deletehim. (deleteVehicle ........) then respawn him again as a normal man. i just need to know basicly what does the variable name of man become after her is infected. JUSt him. not all the zombies just Individually

There is no object-reference variable anymore, because the human object is destroyed in the process of replacing it with an undead object. The undead that replaces the human is a different object.

If you are familiar with string manipulation you can extract the object-type of the original human object out of the type of the undead.

The typenames of the undead follow a strict naming convention, it is something like "UNDEAD_Priest". So just remove the "UNDEAD_" part and you got the original object type. Easy.

still no update ??? release NOW or CHARON WILL BE PERMA BANNED :mad::mad::mad::mad:

still no update ??? release NOW or CHARON WILL BE PERMA BANNED :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Butthurt much?

How about you chill out and respect the fact that Charon has other stuff to do. Hes got a real life just like all of us and Im sure he doesn't enjoy debugging his .pbo's over watching a movie with friends

Alpha test is ongoing and going well. Many issues are getting fixed. Complexity of the mod is very high and debugging such a structure is normally done in big teams, so of course it takes time.

No point in releasing a mod with broken functionalities, but that is something that doesn't seem plausible in impatient kiddies' minds.

Most work had to be done concerning overcoming Arma2 engine insufficiencies and things that don't seem to actually work as intended on the micro-AI level (engine-internally).

Someone will get banned but I don't think it's Charon.

Do not beg for updates, ask for releases, or otherwise spam addon topics. Thank you.