Sign in to follow this  
Hurby

Albatros D.III

Hey guys, seeing as Yac is almost done with the Fokker VII, I realized I had to create this thread, to - if nothing else - save him (or someone else?) some time and effort. About a year ago I started working on an Albatros D.III for mine and my friend's project, 'cause we liked dogfighting the old-school style back in Nogova Dogfight days. Time has passed and we kinda forgot about it, but about a week ago I found the plane on my HDD again and decided to finish it. Some WIP screens:

alb4.jpg

alb5.jpg

alb6.jpg

Please note that I am no WWI-expert and it is very possible that these skins are inaccurate. Right now the top priority is to finish the model (areas without textures are just placeholders).

The same as with Yac's Fokker, the idea behind this one was to create an opponent for the Camel. These planes actually met extensively in the second half of 1917 when the number of D.IIIs peaked at 446 aircraft on the Western Front with the Camel entering service in June 1917.

From the very beginning I tried to make it as skin-friendly as possible. There will be two textures, one with things common for all the planes (engine, cockpit) and the other one with the actual camo, with the possibility to change it through setObjectTexture. I'm even thinking about releasing the whole .PSD with all the sorted layers and stuff.

I cannot really say right now when will I finish this, because even when I find some time and the mood for it, I still have other work to do for CSLA (switching to ArmA2 soon, yay). But I'll try :)

Nice work Hurby.

But I don't think youre saving Yac from doing it, pretty sure he's already done it ;)

sweet we should be able to put together a nice WW1 dogfight with all this stuff. Now all we need is an SE5A

Gnat;1546807']Nice work Hurby.

But I don't think youre saving Yac from doing it' date=' pretty sure he's already done it ;)[/quote']

I'm not sure what you mean here. Does he already have the D.III? I just read in his thread some comments about how he should make more planes and he wrote that the Fokker isn't the only one he will do, so I thought I could prevent two people doing the same thing.

Nice work Hurby, can't wait to take them up. I hope someone makes some of the larger bombers and armed observation aircraft of the time.

A Hadley Page bomber would make a nice target to destroy or to protect.

Very good work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing these fly :)

hurby

Engine Albatros DIII by David Collins Project

a61343302cf68341med.jpg

006fe1e8c22241a0med.jpg

49355dc900f0a89cmed.jpg

and some pictures from here

and here

Edited by Yac

If someone actually animated the little valves (idk what they're called i'm not an engine guy) i think i'd blow a load.

Btw, we got a guy working on a nice spandau gun? and what about a lewis?

Itd be good to make one of each and just reuse them on every appropriate plane.

other important ones would be the hotchkiss and vickers, but I think spandau and lewis ought to be prioritised. Oh god it would be sick to have some two-seaters with ring mounted lewis.

I really want to offer to help but I already have a bunch of committments to help with. Hopefully when that's out of the way I could contribute something, until then I could offer references and stuff...

edit: I wonder how possible a foster mount would be! I mean, it could be a thing in action menu to retract it into the upwards position for reloading or firing upwards right?

edit2: oh jesus I just got the sickest idea regarding making the wings look actually translucent ingame. I really shouldn't but I think I might do a test when i get home and show the results if they're presentable.

Edited by HarryZhe

Thank you very, very much Yac for the reference material and for what you wrote in your thread.

Also thanks for all the kind words here.

@HarryZhe: To animate the engine, i would first have to see it working, so if you find anything, let me know :)

Oh, thank you again :) I'll see what I can do.

@HarryZhe: To animate the engine, i would first have to see it working, so if you find anything, let me know :)

Have a look at the "red baron" movie, it has a few shots from the nose at the pilots where you can see the operation of the engine. Also, i think thevintageaviator, that website, has some videos of a couple of engines running, I'm not sure if they have the appropriate one for the DVIII... i think they have a gnome and the Se5 inline the name of which escapes me...

Just tried to place it on map as an object to see what it looks like, here's the result:

albbi1.jpg

albbi2.jpg

And an earlier screenshot of the engine:

alb1.jpg

Still very WIP, but it's starting to take shape :)

Also, I looked up some reference on the engine and I'll try to animate the valves.

Beautiful and sexy - I can not wait to grab at my fat fingers:yay:

Wow, honestly. Gonna have some great immersive dog fights in these puppies!

Great work and can't wait :)

Very nice Hurby! Just sent a PM to you mate, check it out when you get the chance :).