Sign in to follow this  
goliath86

Medevac Module

goliath, I am posting here because I know when you get a PM you reply, and you told me before that you did not get some PMs I sent. So, could you send me the latest pbo so I can test further?

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I think, for gameplay purposes, it's best to assume that anyone you send back on the chopper is deemed unfit by you and thus removed from your command for ongoing medical treatments :)

I know I mentioned it as a "bug" before, but I think it's fine now. Just got to accept the consequence of sending a troop back on a medevac helo, including yourself :)

As I observed before, it's still possible to re-recruit them manually if you are at their position i.e. you've been medevacced yourself :)

OK, tell me what you are doing, because I cannot get a unit to rejoin no matter what combination of things I do.

OK, tell me what you are doing, because I cannot get a unit to rejoin no matter what combination of things I do.

Umm, actually I think it's the result of a 3rd party addon. If it's not ACE2, then it's probably DAC2.5 (which I'm using in beta), in which case you'll either have to wait for release, or find another 3rd party addon that allows for recruitment. Sorry for the confusion :(

The units that you send at the base will join another group (so they are 'deleted' from your group) and stay at the base as reinforcement

Well, who in the heck are they going to reinforce?

(And darn, guess who tore up my testing/bug sheet (that I was about to post)? Yup.)

Edited by CyOp

Well, who in the heck are they going to reinforce?

(And darn, guess who tore up my testing/bug sheet (that I was about to post)? Yup.)

I think it's fair to say that, once units are injured enough to warrant a helo trip back, they are out of action. :) I guess it's up to a wounding addon to make the various distinctions between healable units and medevac units. i.e. ones that a medic cannot heal but that a med tent can.

I think it's fair to say that, once units are injured enough to warrant a helo trip back, they are out of action. :) I guess it's up to a wounding addon to make the various distinctions between healable units and medevac units. i.e. ones that a medic cannot heal but that a med tent can.

Yeah, you have said that (the first part) previously, and, that is not what I asked. :p

"Well, who in the heck are they going to reinforce?"

Otherwise, what good is it for MM to delete a wounded unit from my squad, just so it can just stand around doing nothing? If I sent back 4 units, well, now I would be 4 units short, and they are just standing around 'at base' doing nothing. If I did that twice, my whole squad would be gone, and there would be eight units 'at base' standing around doing nothing. :D

No biggie, though, because for me, I will just not use the MM to send wounded units to base.

Buuut, I will go test, but I think I know what will happen. - I am going to take a wounded man back to base with MM, where I intend on having him heal at a med-tent. If MM forces my man out of my unit, that will not be good. I know that is what is going to happen.

What is bad about the immediate above is that, if I have one medic, and he died, and I need to get back to base to heal some other troops, I will have to hoof it or lose them, because I will not be able to use the 'transport', as it will only load seven units. Of course, I can leave a few to fend for themselves, and go back and forth (with SOM transport), but that is a pain.

-

IMHO, goliath, I think the 'forced' deletion should be removed, unless you make the deleted, healed units available for reinforcement to the original squad.

Well, a couple of days ago I was going to make a radio call for reinforcement. I did not do that, yet. By tomorrow, though, it will be done. Then I can just stick that in my missions.

And DMarkwick, honestly, I am not being a smart butt, but, (:)), in regards to gameplay, it is also fair to say that if I have a unit shot a couple of times, he should not be able to be healed 100% in a matter of seconds. So the argument that it is OK for MM to delete troops because they are (severely) wounded is null and void. If I cannot heal them and they die, then SOM, (if it does not bug), should be able to reinforce me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the other option is to always heal in the field at the Medevac Chopper. However, if you have motorized (or worse) enemy bearing down on you, the task at hand is to get out of harms way, quickly. If the player does that (with MM), then he loses his wounded, if they are too injured.

BTW, in the above, I am talking about a squad of 9, minus the Corpsman, making 8, so transport will not not be able to get us all. And this has actually happened to me often. Either way, none of it is a biggie. I will make a 'work around' with a reinforcement call.

And, actually, I have already tested all of the above, but I will test some more, just to make sure I am not missing something.

Edited by CyOp

I just tried following before: I was bailed out of an A-10 after beeing damaged. I had to swim to land, no weapons after this. Called medevac because I was in the middle of two enemy camps. It came, I got a smoke grenade. After the helicopter landed, I asked the medic now in my group to heal me over 6 (actions). Then I entered the helicopter to be evacuated. The two grenadiers started shooting at far away enemies. I ordered RTB via radio and then nothing happened anymore. The medic stayed. I went out and in, talked to the medic, got anwers but he didn't move. Too bad, it was such a nice story.

Appendix:

It works fine, when I order the medic to enter the helicopter too before I use rtb. Anyway that should be fixed, cause it's really bad, when you got killed just because the helicopter won't take off anymore.

I also saw, when I use a helipad, the helicopter will land better and closer to me. I think about an action to create an invisible landing pad on the position of the smoke. So one should thow the smoke to a safe area.

Making a helipad:

I created this little function to add a helipad close to the player. This helps greatly to make the helicopter land near the wounded.

Unfortunately, the AI also has strange interactions. When I ordered the medic to go in the helicopter, this took off and moved to a more open spot, though it was already hovering over a small glade. So the medic had to run down the hill and the two grenadiers stayed on top of the hill.

Anyway on open terrain, this could be of some help and I would be happy to see this combined in the existing code maybe with the smoke grenade throw.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Function file for Armed Assault
// Created by: Author: Blaunarwal
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// player addAction ["Mark LZ Alpha", "deflz.sqf"]

_pos= getpos player;
_head=direction player;
_rad=10;

_posx= _pos select 0;
_posy= _pos select 1;

_posx= _posx + (sin _head) * _rad;
_posy= _posy + (cos _head) * _rad;

_pos=[_posx,_posy,0];

_lzalpha = "HeliHEmpty" createVehicle (_pos); // invisible helipad

//_lzalpha = "HeliH" createVehicle (_pos); // visible for testing reasons

Edited by Blaunarwal

What is bad about the immediate above is that, if I have one medic, and he died, and I need to get back to base to heal some other troops, I will have to hoof it or lose them, because I will not be able to use the 'transport', as it will only load seven units. Of course, I can leave a few to fend for themselves, and go back and forth (with SOM transport), but that is a pain.

'Tis a pain to do that in RL too :)

And DMarkwick, honestly, I am not being a smart butt, but, (:)), in regards to gameplay, it is also fair to say that if I have a unit shot a couple of times, he should not be able to be healed 100% in a matter of seconds. So the argument that it is OK for MM to delete troops because they are (severely) wounded is null and void. If I cannot heal them and they die, then SOM, (if it does not bug), should be able to reinforce me.

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're trying to get across here, naturally it's not realistic for a troop to be healed 100% in a few seconds, but what you can do is stop bleeding (so the troop doesn't get worse) and administer pain relief and support, so that some small improvement might be made. I agree healing to 100% is not real, but that's outside the scope of this addon.

If the MM deletes troops when they're returned as out of action, I don't see that it's either good or bad, for they are outside the game's regard whatever the result :) I say, once that injured troop is sent back and dismounted, then he should be either deleted and SOM could then reinforce, or otherwise the troop is taken from the command of the player and sent to a med tent or something. Then x amount of time later, he *might* be available for action. Whatever the solution, obviously a mix between gameplay and realistic behavior is always going to be somewhat subjective. At some point there is usually the need to apply some "role play" to the situation.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the other option is to always heal in the field at the Medevac Chopper. However, if you have motorized (or worse) enemy bearing down on you, the task at hand is to get out of harms way, quickly. If the player does that (with MM), then he loses his wounded, if they are too injured.

Yeah that happens to me a lot :) but you know, you got to deal with the situation as it happens, it's part of the gameplay ;)

Hi guys!

Now I'm busy to eliminate all bugs presents in the Module..after that I will adjust the unit transport..the 'delete' option that is present at the moment is only for testing purpose..

For now I'm rewriting the landing procedure of the chopper..at the moment it will land very near and precisely to me (even if in city)..but I need to adjust some more this feature..

@CyOp: if I send you the current code it will don't work because of all the changes I'm still apporting to it and not already finished. Thanks for the support!!

@Blaunarwal: thanks for the report. I know this bug and I'm trying to fix it

@DMarwick: thanks for the support and bug report

Thank you all guys for the support!! :D

DMarkwick, I was basically throwing a 'tit-for-tat' at you (but not in a mean way). :p In previous posts, you have essentially said, in regards to game-play purposes, that a wounded soldier sent back in the MM is considered 'out of action', because the unit would be requiring (extensive) medical attention.

My point that I failed to get across, is the same actually, in regards to a unit being healed in the field, he should be 'out of action'. But, he is not. He can get first aid, giving him time to get transported, or giving a Corpsman time to reach him, and heal him (100%).

See what I mean now? My point... it is unreasonable, for already existing game play function, to now have a Medevac Chopper deleting my healable units. I do not have any kind of auto-reinforce, and honestly, I do not want a function like that (for my 'self' missions). So, losing units by MM is a no-no, for me. Yes, 'I' think it is bad. (As I stated, though, I will just have to make sure I do not send any wounded units by MM.) (BTW, I am trying to make a simple MH-60S transport, but for some silly reason, I cannot get it to land. Heh.)

I already created a (simple) SOM reinforce option to put in my missions. It will reinforce even if I lose a unit through MM. It is just a simple SOM reinforce function call, by radio trigger.

@goliath... It is OK about not sending what you have currently. I was just doing a lot of testing, and did not want to be messing with stuff you have already fixed.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Anyway... so, like I said previously, no biggie. :)

... the 'delete' option that is present at the moment is only for testing purpose..

I've added the ability at the chopper to land where the smoke is thrown (so you can throw the smoke even if behind a cover) even if in city or with enemy presence nearby ;)

Great work the "Medevac" addon, Goliath86

It should be great if converted for Arma1 !... too

I'd like it so much!

Greetz

Edited by Aloha!

I've added the ability at the chopper to land where the smoke is thrown (so you can throw the smoke even if behind a cover) even if in city or with enemy presence nearby ;)

I look forward to test it :yay:

how long does it take for the chopper to arrive. i placed the module and synced it to my player in the editor, then once in the game i tried to call for it and i never saw the chopper or vehicle arrive i waited about 5-10minutes and nothing. how can i fix this?

how long does it take for the chopper to arrive. i placed the module and synced it to my player in the editor, then once in the game i tried to call for it and i never saw the chopper or vehicle arrive i waited about 5-10minutes and nothing. how can i fix this?

Pay attention to the unit_array.sqf file: for default there is an HMMWV Ambulance for medevac and not a chopper so, probably, in your mission was spawned that ambulance and not a chopper..:)

Pay attention to the unit_array.sqf file: for default there is an HMMWV Ambulance for medevac and not a chopper so, probably, in your mission was spawned that ambulance and not a chopper..:)

what do you mean by pay attention to the unit_array.sqf im not to familiar with the files and such kinda new to adding mods. i downloaded it and put the folder in the arma2 folder where the other mods go and put the name in the short cut. can u explain or is there some guide i can read to see how to properly get a chopper/hmmwv to come help? .......OH and does the medevac come to the position you called it from or will it move with the player if the player decides to move?

Edited by A_Blunt_Rifle

what do you mean by pay attention to the unit_array.sqf im not to familiar with the files and such kinda new to adding mods. i downloaded it and put the folder in the arma2 folder where the other mods go and put the name in the short cut. can u explain or is there some guide i can read to see how to properly get a chopper/hmmwv to come help? .......OH and does the medevac come to the position you called it from or will it move with the player if the player decides to move?

There's a file in the @Medevac folder named unit_array.sqf..open it with a text editor and modify the first element of the array MM_WEST_ARRAY:

MM_WEST_ARRAY = ["HMMWV_Ambulance", "FR_OHara", "USMC_Soldier_Pilot", "USMC_Soldier_Pilot", "USMC_Soldier_Pilot", "USMC_Soldier_GL", "USMC_Soldier_MG"];

it is "HMMWV_Ambulance" and change it to "MH60S" or any other vehicle you want..

This array structure permit to use every vehicles and units a player wants in his mission :)

The Medevac comes near the player even if this moves to another position..;)

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Great work the "Medevac" addon, Goliath86

It should be great if converted for Arma1 !... too

I'd like it so much!

Greetz

Hi Aloha!

Sorry but I haven't ArmA 1 so I can't convert this addon for ArmA 1 that even don't support Modules like ArmA 2..I'm sorry :(

Solved some many bugs and little improvements. Now the chopper make landing properly even if under fire or if in combat behaviour.

When the chopper crash and start the rescue mission, in the sidechat are communicated the map grid coordinates of the crash site.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Solved: Strange behaviour when chopper is under attack when it is landed near the player

Solved: Problems if you mount the MM chopper and then call the RTB radio

Added: Try to 'force' landing on Medevac choppers

Solved:

5. Helo... hit by AA, Corpsman dies on impact when bailing, sideChat says, Corpsman, dead, Medevac RTB. Of course, the chopper cannot RTB, it is down.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Changed: now if you return at FOB via Medevac with your

squad you don't lost it and you can make a reinsertion via

the Medevac. In this way you can return via Medevac at the base to heal or rearm and then be reinserted via Medevac with your mates.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Added: Make a unit_array.hpp file instead the currently unit_array.sqf file to be in line like all the other ArmA2's MODs

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Changed: if you use the Medevac Module without the Game Logic synchronized to it, you can put, in the mission editor, a marker named MM_MKR1 so the chopper (or vehicle) will spawn (and disappear when it return after the Medevac action) in that position instead the default position (at the bottom left of the map). In this way you can make a faster Medevac arrival.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

New version is near to come with all the above improvements. ;)

Edited by goliath86

Been testing this the past few nights. Great mod! I have a few questions, but I'll save them until after the upcoming version releases. Can't wait.

Hi guys!

New version available on the first page:

Changelog (v0.995 beta 2):

- Solved: Strange behaviour when chopper is under attack when it is landed near the player

- Solved: Problems if you mount the MM chopper and then call the RTB radio

- Added: Try to 'force' landing on Medevac choppers

- Added: Make a unit_array.hpp file instead the currently unit_array.sqf file to be in line like all the other ArmA2's MODs

- Added: sounds by Thedog88 that can be ativated or not via the unit_array.hpp file

- Changed: if you use the Medevac Module without the Game Logic synchronized to it, you can put, in the mission editor, a marker named MM_MKR1 so the chopper (or vehicle) will spawn (and disappear when it return after the Medevac action) in that position instead the default position (at the bottom left of the map). In this way you can make a faster Medevac arrival.

- Changed: new module's icon

- Changed: now if you return at FOB via Medevac with your squad you don't lost it and you can make a reinsertion via the Medevac. In this way you can return via Medevac at the base to heal or rearm and then be reinserted via Medevac with your mates.

!!IMPORTANT!!

Now you have to put the userconfig folder, that you can find inside the @Medevac folder, in the arma 2's main directory; then you can edit the unit_array.hhp file to change the array and to activate/deactivate sounds

Credits:

Thanks CyOp for the idea and support

Thanks DMarwick for the supprt and tranlsation in sidechat text

Thanks Thedog88 for his incredibly sounds

Thanks to the community!!!

Edited by goliath86

big question, once i download the new version, how to i replace it with the old version? just throw away the old folder or is there an un-installation process that needs to take place?

Oh and also it says to put the userconfig folder in the Arma2 main directory, but there is already a userconfig folder in the directory for the ace mod. do i just put the contents inside the medevac userconfig folder in the same userconfig folder for ace thats already in the arma 2 director?

Edited by A_Blunt_Rifle

big question, once i download the new version, how to i replace it with the old version? just throw away the old folder or is there an un-installation process that needs to take place?

Delete the older @Medevac folder and replace it with the new one. Then put the folder 'userconfig' (that you can find inside '@Medevac') in your arma 2 main directory ;)

"Thanks DMarwick for the supprt and tranlsation in sidechat text"

Huh? You used this DMarwick guys chat? :rolleyes: I know mine had to be better! Let me go see what this guy wrote. :p

BTW, I turn mine 'off'. Anyone have any radio beeps, though?

EDIT: Let me clarify, if I had radio beeps that coincided with the chat, I would probably leave chat 'on'.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, goliath, thank you (for the umpteenth time), and you're welcome! It may be your code, but its my 'baby'! :D

EDIT: Thedog88, you screwed up big time! Now, you are going to have to do the whole rest of the game chat! :) I guess there is no way to change the call sign/s, instead of GhostMan?

Edited by CyOp

Oh and also it says to put the userconfig folder in the Arma2 main directory, but there is already a userconfig folder in the directory for the ace mod. do i just put the contents inside the medevac userconfig folder in the same userconfig folder for ace thats already in the arma 2 director?

I have a small number of mods that use files from the "userconfig" folder in the root game directory (I want to say Ace2 and JTD Fire&Smoke). I assume the medevac "MM" files can be added to a shared / existing / common "userconfig" directory?

I have a small number of mods that use files from the "userconfig" folder in the root game directory (I want to say Ace2 and JTD Fire&Smoke). I assume the medevac files can be added to a shared / existing "userconfig" directory?

Yes, the same folder.

Yes, the same folder.

the unit_array.hpp file MUST be in this folder:

ArmA 2\userconfig\MM\unit_array.hpp

you can't put the unit_array.hpp file in another folder ;)