Sign in to follow this  
BattleMoose87

Recommend a flight stick

I use an X52 Pro and the Pro Flight Rudder Pedals from Saitek, and I must say, I can't imagine not playing with them... The degree of control you have over helicopters with it is awesome. hovering and picking up cargo is easy now, and maneuvering around in combat situations is a lot more controlled.

If you can get one for 50 quid, get it!! It's a lot cheaper than what I paid, and I still think I made a good deal.

I also got the Track IR 5 for christmas now... it hasn't arrived yet (stuck in customs) so I can't really say anything about it apart from what I've seen in reviews... but it does look awesome.

Cheers

Edited by TheHarvesteR

The X52 is beautiful to use, very smooth and accurate.

But its big so most of the time I use the Saitek AV8R-01

Whatever you get make sure it has twist function.

A good stick, TrackIR and you will be blown away! ;)

(TrackIR does take some getting used to and alot of fiddling to set up properly so don't be discouraged if it feels awkward at first)

Only thing I want next is 3d goggles :D

Edited by EDcase

I have an X52 sitting in my closet for a while.

If it loses it calibration you probably have to send it back.

My axis started jumping around and support recommended unplugging the stick and deleting a registry key. This worked for about a week then started all over again.

I've read posts about it's problem with the potentiometer in the stick they get dirty easily. The only resolution is to take the stick apart and clean regularly which is a chore and will void the warranty.

Personally I would go with a Thrustmaster product, I've read great reviews on them.

I've got a CH Fighterstick and it rocks. Bit pricey but man, it's sturdy.

I've had my Logitech Attack 3 for years and I'm very happy with it.

I guess it all depends on how seriously you take your gaming.

LoL same here! :D

Man I have this joy and has never failed on me, I wouldn't change it for no other stick out there. If I had to buy new one I'd probably get the same one. :yay:

But since this thing seems to be really hard to break I don't think I'll be getting another one soon. :rolleyes:

Funny enough, I remember Sidewinder FF2 even being much better for accurate tank gunnery than X52 pro. Saitek centering mechanism has a bump when trying to move the stick smoothly over the center position, making tracking a target a bit painful. It's very noticeable with AV8R and less so on the looser-feeling X52.

Just ordered the Saitek X52 :p

Now to get a deal on the TrackIR 4 Pro :)

Nice choice, im running both.

I wouldn't recommend the G940 (at least not at this point), as it has lots of issues,... center slop play, stick overheating, trim wheels and rotaries lack center detents, software problems, don't work with games that only support one controller, etc.

Ditto. G940 is a piece of crap atm. Had one, returned it after a week for reasons listed above.

Get X52 if you are on a budget.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

xbox 360 controller for PC = perfect

Maybe for Arma 2 only (which I doubt), but I bet that OP will want to try some serious flight simulation like DCS:Blackshark at some point, 360 pad (or any other for that matter ) is useless for that.

I use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro ($26-$30- depending where you get it) and it does everything you really need for Arma@. Forward/back (nose up&down)/left/right(banking), it has a twist motion (good for rudders), Analog slider control on back(good for thrust, you can maintainsteady thrust since it is a slide switch). 8 directional hatswitch on top(good for free look if you don't have TrackIR), forward trigger(for firing weapons) then there is the other 11 programable buttons. You can calibrate all controls to your liking though thanks to the way Arma is programmed (that is just how I choose to set it up:D).

I just bought th Saitek x52 pro. And I have a huge deadzone in all directions on the stick. In the windows calibration tool everything work just fine, but in Arma II I can't set it up properly.

Any suggestions for this?

I always used this one:

1873.jpg

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

Edit: From all the options/list you have read in here, this one might be the oldest and crappy one so far, though i still use it after 8 years or so...

Edited by bravo 6

JM2C

I'm using the Saitek X-65F, love it :D

Really? I almost bought it until I saw the SimHQ review.

Really? I almost bought it until I saw the SimHQ review.

I like it.

I haven't read the SimHQ review but it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with them with regards to reviews.

It's not a good stick for prop sims like IL-2 by design. I don't play any prop sims so it's not an issue for me.

Edited by BangTail

I like it.

I haven't read the SimHQ review but it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with them with regards to reviews.

It's not a good stick for prop sims like IL-2 by design. I don't play any prop sims so it's not an issue for me.

Prop sims are not an issue. The biggest issue, according to their review, is the inability to detect where the stick is relative to center because the stick does not move, resulting in X motion bleeding into the Y axis and vice versa. On the real F-16, this problem has been solved by redesigning the stick to allow it to move an eighth-of-an-inch from center.

They even made this video to demo the problem:

b-8aBMsxmU8

Prop sims may not be an issue for you but they are for other simmers where this stick is concerned.

I like the stick and have no problems with it. I've flown FC2 and BS for hours on end without issue. As I said, it's not the first time I've disagreed with a simhq review and probably won't be the last ;)

Edited by BangTail

As far as prop sims are concerned, it's just a matter of getting used to the way the stick feels. BTW, how do you like the throttle? Do you find it too stiff?

As far as prop sims are concerned, it's just a matter of getting used to the way the stick feels. BTW, how do you like the throttle? Do you find it too stiff?

It was when I first got it but it's loosened up with use.

I wouldn't like it for prop sims and I understand why other people don't like it. It really is an 'FBW' joystick. Sure, you can fly props on it, no doubt, but it isn't the best choice if you are first and foremost a Sturmovik fan.