Sign in to follow this  
Cyper

Questions about multiplayer

Hi there, as you might see im new to the forum.

I recently bough operation flashpoint dragon rising which was a mistake. I downloaded the demo for Arma2 and I'll think I like a bit more than ofp2, however there are some questions I have.

First off I feel that the games bloom effects are a bit hard on the eyes and the game feels a bit to blurred. Is it the same in the full version?

Also I found out that you can see all your enemies marked on the map as Operation Flashpoint DR. I can't say I'm a fan of this function since it makes it simple to spot enemies. Is there an:bigsmile:y way to deactivate this?

How much better is the full version of Arma2 if you compare it to ofp2?(speaking about multiplayer) and is it worth to buy the game?

Then.. how many players are active in playing arma2?

I would appreciate if I got those questions answered.

Welcome...

You can turn down bloom (post processing i think).

Enemies normally would not appear on map.

I can't compare OFP 2 to Arma 2. Other than they both have a 2 in the title, I think they are totally different. And since I like BI better than Codemasters, I would bash the shit out of it in a very biased way.

About 600-1200 people online at any given time. PvP is harder to find then coop.

I still recommend it to friends. Every other game sucks.

Hi there, as you might see im new to the forum.

How much better is the full version of Arma2 if you compare it to ofp2?(speaking about multiplayer) and is it worth to buy the game?

Hi. Unlike Moss here, I like to think I'm rather objective about DR vs A2 so here goes my 2 cents.

Well, DR single player is a bit like Delta Force. It can be good fun as long as you don't go in with high expectations about deep tactical game play or xtr33m hardcore realism. A2 single player is a lot better if you do. A2 campaign missions or story aren't that believable either, and the technical side is a bit rough, but it's far better than DR for sure.

DR multi player is a total failure with no dedicated servers and just a handful of players. The clunky controls (very console-portey) are a nightmare in PvP, and the PvP missions kinda suck too. Some fun might be had with friends in coop, in case you don't feel embarrassed by recommending the game to your friends. A2 has very varied MP but as a consequence, your preferred mode of play might not have enough players. And as always with "serious" games, A2 public multiplay isn't that hot, so you have to invest some time in finding a server with the kind of people you want to play with or join a squad/clan/community/cult.

tl;dr

Arma2 is a way better MP game than DR.

edit:

These stats might give you some clue as to what to expect, I think euro time has more players than US:

http://arma2.swec.se/server/list

Edited by Pulverizer