Sign in to follow this  
twisted

commanding the ai better

as time goes on, i find i want more ai order option in the menu. bis made a start, but really, this element of commanding your squad needs to be matured now.

AI commands i think are needed:

Covering fire - press space and hold cursor over the friendly squad AI you want covered. AI then watch for enemies in that direction and suppress when needed .

Haulass (froggyluv's good idea) - AI hauls ass and moves much faster. priority is given to getting the hell to the next position. inluences whatever mode ai is in (danger mode + haulass = much bigger bounding overwatch steps and running rather than caution)

Rearm (updated) - AI will attempt to rearm from whatever is under your cursor. that way you can make AI rearm from AT and not machinegunner if you prefer.

Take cover - All selected AI take cover behind whatever you hover cursor on. this exists but always takes a while to active and a shortcut to this would be very useful.

Assault - AI move in as a squad to engage the position under your cursor.

Flank (left/right) and assault - Selected AI flank the position under your cursor and then move in to assault.

follow - selected AI follow AI under the cursor. this is so badly needed it's not funny.

retreat - AI perform a fighting to retreat back to nearest cover.

if you have any other suggestions that might inspire bis or have been left out, feel free to add em.

+1

Also

Defend: Squad will take up defensive positions within a defined radius 25/50/100 meters, and will not wander off until another order is given or morale is broken.

Defend: Squad will take up defensive positions within a defined radius 25/50/100 meters, and will not wander off until another order is given or morale is broken.

This.

Retreat Yep. Many's the time I've wished for the overmatched enemy AI to fall back in good order.

Defend Yep again. Definitely should be implemented.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get the AI to defend anything. I thought it was just me...

All great ideas. Ordering AI around is clunky at best.

great idea

i also want a take and hold like order, i haven't been able to find it in the game but i could of've just missed it:o

I have no problems co-ordinating men to defend a postion. Takes a lot of micro management but it's definitely possible.

MG infantry in particular make incredibly effective defenders.

I will usually place my men individually in a 360 degree radius and set the soldiers to danger alert or depending on location tell them to find cover. Also tell them to prone to present less of a target. I will also sometimes put them on hold untill such time as they verbally confirm they have targets in their sight as this will let you know when they've started actually spotting targets that they can engage.

In order to stop them from moving use the "wait for me" command, I believe it is different to the "stop" command which will halt all movement.