Sign in to follow this  
AndresCL

No mod tools and no dedicated server files for BF:BC2

Misc. Details

Steam Beta: Yes there was a leaked image of a Package file we propped on Steam. People with illegal accounts can see games in this environment, but this is not a Beta in the term of Public Test Beta, but a real development Beta installer client for the Steam version of the full game. We are however working with Steam to have the Public PC Beta available on Steam, but can't confirm this quite yet so cross your fingers Steam users. :-)

Anti Cheat: We're going with PunkBuster supporting the same options BF2 and BF2142 had to run unranked without PunkBuster.

Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.

Public Server Files: We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers.

You can read it all here: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/01/07/bfbc2-pc-beta-update-fr-229-n-dice.aspx

Did they not make a big fuss over actually having mod tools and dedicated servers?

Did they not make a big fuss over actually having mod tools and dedicated servers?

Yeah, because there are dedicated server for rent, but there wont be any public server files released. So pretty much you are tied to the renting companies.

About the mod tools, it seems like modders are totally screwed. Its a shame, as there are good mods for BF2, like Proyect reality and Forgotten Hope.

I dont understant why would a company NOT support modders? They give more content and replayability to the game. Well, i guess we owe one to BIS for staying loyal to their fanbase.

pitty...especially regarding dedi servers, SDK could have come laters (after milking the cow and the console lads with DLC)...

Strictly speaking there will still be dedicated server, just not for all to make. I suppose it will be similar to BF2 but with only official rented servers. Beats me if these servers may only be rented on EA/DICE's own websites or/and 3rd party websites with some sort of license from EA/DICE.

I don't like it but it's better then matchmaking.

Edited by colossus

another game killed b4 release

MW2 on the PC doesn't have dedicated servers or mod tools but it's the polar opposite of dead. ;)

Nonetheless, we're still getting dedicated servers. Just, again, they don't want us modding the game... :rolleyes:

Lower player counts, no mod support, shoddy dedicated server support.

Yeah the future of gaming is getting brighter by the day.

I am counting the days that BI become the only developer to have public server file and mod tools...(if bi did stay in business that long, and no, its not funny at all)

Edited by 4 IN 1

well i'm sure there are still some other companies who plan to have dedicated server included with theirs titles ...

Tripwire comes to my mind :)

yet i agree the trend started by Activision and similar is quite sad and scary in long run

Well, to be honest, it doesn't surprise me in the least that DICE would do this. I knew very early on that DICE couldn't really care less about their PC audience, they just wanted to attract more potential sales from them by saying that they do, after IW's mistakes with MW2. Now the rest of the world is starting to see what exactly is going on, and what has been going on. DICE care more about their console market than their PC market as consoles = $$$, just like every other multiplatform developer for the most part.

DICE simply saw an easy way to make more money out of the PC market by forcing clans etc to have to rent out servers. I bet if they dont make alot of money out of this, there next release will lose DS altogether

I find it quite surprising that everyone was telling IW to fuck off when they announced that they were about to draw back support for dedis, and no-one seem to care when DICE does it DESPITE that it was DICE that went on how much they cared and loved for the PC community when the shit hit IW.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Everyone who told IW to f*ck off ended up buying the game anyways. That's just how it is I guess.

Weird ... this thing it has become something usual from the last year.

I really felt alienated when I first saw that they make young people pay regularly just to play online ..... :mad:

Maybe they feel anew under pressure because of their recent financial losses:

Wall Street Journal

I like them to have financial losses all over. :p

the title is false and misleading

it should be

No mod tools and no public dedicated server files for BF:BC2.

the no mod tools will decrease the replayablity for sure, but if this is a decent replacement for BF2, they wont lose much money over it.

The Frostbite engine requires DX10 to make use of all the graphics the game has to offer. I doubt this title is enough for me to change my OS...

Minimum Frostbite PC Specifications for Bad Company 2 & Battlefield 1943:

Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz

Main memory: 2GB

Graphics card: GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900

Graphics memory: 256MB

15GB of HDD space for digital version, 10GB of HDD space for disc version (BFBC2)

10GB of HDD space for digital version, 4GB of HDD space for disc version (BF1943)

Recommended Frostbite PC Specifications for Bad Company 2 & Battlefield 1943:

Processor: Quadcore

Main memory: 2GB

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 260

Graphics memory: 512MB

15GB of HDD space for digital version, 10GB of HDD space for disc version (BFBC2)

10GB of HDD space for digital version, 4GB of HDD space for disc version (BF1943)

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-