Sign in to follow this  
-Shifty-

Can AI see through smoke?

Hello everybody,

I was curious as to whether the smoke grenades you can buy in warfare are actually helpful. It would be very useful in some situations.

The smoke in Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising was done perfectly, except, it only blinded the player and the AI could still see and shoot at you through the smoke.

Early on in ArmA2's life I did a couple of tests. In one I spawned a smoke grenade, waited until it was fully deployed then spawned an enemy unit behind it, with me exposed in front of it, about 40 m or so.

I was not seen at all.

When the smoke disappeared, I was seen.

When I moved through the other side of the smoke, I was seen.

When I moved to the side of the smoke, I was seen.

When the enemy unit moved through the smoke, I was seen.

When I fired, I was heard but not seen.

So yes, smoke does obscure. It has to be fairly dense though.

In fact, if you use Victor Farbau's smokeshell addon, in a firefight you can definately notice that when all the smokeshells kick off, the firefight reduces to suppressive and guessing firing, and when the smoke dissipates it all kicks off again :)

I did the same tests with JTD Fire & Smoke particles and got the same results, however it had to be quite dense.

Edited by DMarkwick

I have another question. I'm currently kicking butt on this TV2 player's choice server with an LAV25. I have the LAV25 moving around and covering me and my 3 AI soldiers. Except when I get in the LAV, they all turn out. If everybody EXCEPT me is in, they stay turned in.

Basically, once I board, they turn out, and don't engage. I tell them to have the danger combat mode, but it doesn't help. It's okay, because I disembark before I reach the town, and I advance with my 3 men, but it's bugging me because whenever we cross an East guy on the road, it's dangerous because I have to disembark quickly.

...with me exposed in front of it...

I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Chernarus....

ROFL!!!

The mental images that conjures up had me in stitches. :)

I know, I know, small things amuse small minds and all that ..

Edited by Bluedog

ROFL!!!

The mental images that conjures up hand me in stitches. :)

I know, I know, small things ...

Ah... you've seen the pics of DM on the internet, too?!

I get in the LAV, they all turn out. If everybody EXCEPT me is in, they stay turned in.

That has been a "bug" since early ArmA1 - when I say "bug" it's because even though it's pretty annoying it's still unfixed despite of several patches now - so I suppose this is how it's meant to bee... (*sight*)

[60818] Fixed: AI no longer switches to aware when player leader turns in in an armored vehicle, it only goes prone/crouch.<-- changelog from patch 1.05

Then I thought that THIS time my prayers has been heard - but no such luck yet... AI crew still turn out when I embark any armored vehicle... (* double sight*)