Sign in to follow this  
Lant

The "Duke Nukem Forever" of OFP: WW2 Addons

Reminder: The following post is not supposed to be an accusation. Its just a little reminder for all those OFP-Veterans, that kept staring in antisipation at all those glourious looking WW2-Screenshots, hoping for a soon release. Im trying to explain some stuff I know, and bring back some memories.

Since 2003 every month we were impressed by great looking screenshots of WW2 vehicles and infantry. Releases were planned for "May 2004", "Around spring 2005", "winter 2005"....

Nothing was ever released.

I was informed that "Marfy", the main "Addon-Maker" behind all the impressing "Inv44"-Screenshots was in fact lying about his addons, they were simply art projects for his college and never intended for an actual release. ("Inv44" appareantly was able to obtain one tank, which turned to be absolutly unplayable in OFP...Too high Polygone count, no interior, just one set of much to big textures, etc.)

Im just going to post some screenshots, to remind everyone what we were awaiting all those years..

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/inv007.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/inv003.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/inv005.jpg

johnfkngamaz5.jpg

Edited by Rellikki
Hotlinked image > 100kb

And just for laughs, some "Marfy Art" addons. From 2003-2005.

pantherG_01.jpg

marfy_newpic_02.jpg

marfy_newpic_05.jpg

tiger2_winter_Ann_02.jpg

jgtiger_new_01.jpg

All those addons, except M8 Greyhound and Firefly, were released... Have you seen I44 2.7 update? Or even 2.0, where Tiger, Panther and Sdk.fz.251 were present...

All those addons, except M8 Greyhound and Firefly, were released... Have you seen I44 2.7 update? Or even 2.0, where Tiger, Panther and Sdk.fz.251 were present...

I have never seen any of those tanks in OFP....The Tiger / Panther from Inv.44 where not the same as the one in the screenshots. And I only know about an Inv. 44 2.5 Update, where is the 2.7 one you are talking about?

The Tiger / Panther from Inv.44 where not the same as the one in the screenshots

are you blind? they may differs in look a bit but well, they are just screnshots with a lot of photoshop in them.

sherm.jpg

on the right, you have sherman from that screen http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/johnfkngamaz5.jpg

sherm2.jpg

(on screen you have edited version of tanks from I44 2.5- all of them have merged and resized textures to allow game run fast as it's possible within ofp environment - that why it's might look low-res)

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics/pantherG_01.jpg - texture for this panther are included in i44, however, it's not configured (same thing with Sd.Kfz.251).

And I only know about an Inv. 44 2.5 Update, where is the 2.7 one you are talking about?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78779

there is one Koening tiger configured in game (there are models for Koening Tigers with Henschel and Porsche turret)

Beside that, if you want a huge package of ww2 addons (optimized and mp-compatible) send my pm.

Hm I might have missed it because 2.7 wasnt posted on OFP.info..

However, Inv.44 is only playable on its own right? I cant just copy the addons out of it and play them on "my" OFP?

(Because right now I have a perfect configured OFP with FFUR and this Warhammer 40.000 Mod that I dont want to screw up)

What's the point for creating such threads? :confused:

Edited by Fuzzmaster

And? Some of the top mods did release work, you bring up Marfy but please don't forget mods such as Liberation 1941-45, Invasion 1944 and T_Rocs work complementing Libmod.

The one I'm patiently waiting for is WWIIEC

I seem to have completely missed this post, and wasn't alerted to it by team members, so here it goes (better late than never):

We were short on time, so we decided to only implement the tanks that Marfy made that we really needed, mainly the Panther in the camo version seen in v2.0 and v2.5, and the Stug III (a co-project with Mathias Putzer). The others were not a priority, and so they were cut.

A number of his vehicles that were previously unreleased have been ported to ArmA1 for the D-Day project, and were released in v1.0, including the Greyhound. All reworked to provide better performance, including the merging of texturefiles (i.e. there were around 25 files for the Greyhound, I reduced that number back to 2). It is true that Marfy's vehicles were detailed (above the OFP average anyway) in the number of polygons that he used, but with good lods that is not really a problem.

Most of the winter camos have never been released by us (but additional camos can be found in the unofficial 2.7 patch made by przemek86 for the OFP release) as it made no sense to put time into winter camos for a project that plays out in the summer.

These reworked vehicles have again been ported to ArmA2 for the port of the D-Day project. For the Wacht am Rhein project for ArmA2 to be released after the D-Day port, these will be replaced by new vehicles fully compliant with ArmA2 era graphics standards.

Edited by JdB

What's the point for creating such threads? :confused:

That is what I ask me too. This forum is for discussing work in progress and planned Addons and Mods and not for bitching about addons that were never released.

Nothing was ever released.

I was informed that "Marfy", the main "Addon-Maker" behind all the impressing "Inv44"-Screenshots was in fact lying about his addons, they were simply art projects for his college and never intended for an actual release. ("Inv44" appareantly was able to obtain one tank, which turned to be absolutly unplayable in OFP...Too high Polygone count, no interior, just one set of much to big textures, etc.)

And even if that's the case, as far as I can tell none of the addon makers ever promised anywhere that they will release their work. If they don't release something then well, they don't release it and no whining in posts or threads will change that.

If you want that stuff real bad, download the tools and start working instead calling other community members liars. But guess that's not an option.