Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

We all are going to die

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/04/05/satellite.drop/index.html

"CNN) -- Portions of a spacecraft from a failed 1996 mission could fall back to Earth between Friday and Tuesday, according to NASA predictions. The space agency could not pinpoint the exact time and place.

NASA's High Energy Transient Experiment (HETE) was launched in November 1996 to study gamma-ray bursts -- frequent flashes of high energy that cross the universe. The joint Argentine-U.S. project failed when the spacecraft did not detach from the final stage of the Pegasus rocket that launched it into space.

The spacecraft, with the third stage still attached to it, weighs 1,177 pounds (535 kg). NASA expects that most of the spacecraft will burn up as it falls through the atmosphere. But four stainless steel batteries weighing a total of 33 pounds (15kg) could survive, NASA said Thursday.

Where the debris may strike is unknown. NASA has had no contact with the failed spacecraft since 1996, and has no means of controlling or plotting the re-entry. The agency's rough estimate of re-entry is 7 a.m. EDT Sunday, but it warns that this estimate could be off by as much as 48 hours in either direction.

Working with U.S. Space Command, the military agency that monitors the location of spacecraft and space junk, NASA will post updated information at www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20020401hetereenter.html.

According to U.S. Space Command, there are nearly 3,000 satellites and spacecraft now in orbit around Earth, carrying out communications, remote sensing, and other functions.

Some estimates on the amount of loose space junk -- debris from space and satellite operations -- exceed 100,000 pieces near Earth or orbiting the planet.

After the failed 1996 mission, the HETE project was reconstituted, and the replacement spacecraft HETE-2 was launched in 2000.

While much is still unknown about gamma ray bursts, recent research has suggested they may originate from supernovas, or dying stars. "

----------------

I BET THE BATTERIES ARE GOING TO KILL US ALL rolleyes.gif

I cant imagine 15kg of batteries throwing up enough dust to trigger an ELE! wink.gif

I did however prophesize that they will land on my boss's house and smash his nice new 41"  widescreen TV to bits.  Or at least I hope it does, that bastard!  biggrin.gif

The good part is that there's enough wide open space that the chances of anyone being hurt or hit is astronomical.  The bad part is that they cant predict where it will go. Hehe..maybe if it hits McDonalds HQ, Taco Bell will give everyone a free Taco (Remember the Mir thing?)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 06 2002,04:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hehe..maybe if it hits McDonalds HQ, Taco Bell will give everyone a free Taco (Remember the Mir thing?)<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, I certainly remember that one biggrin.gif

They were cheating though:angry: !!! The thingy was floating just off the ozzy coast, even though it was predicted that it would land between NZ and South America!

LOL@MacD's HQ! They would be in history forever though confused.gif

Space-terrorism against junk food anyone tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

great....just a few days ago, we realized that there's good chance of an asterois hitting us in about 900 yrs, now this.

better start playing more OFP biggrin.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...................

WE ALLLLL GONNAAAAAAAAAA DIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

Well considering a penny dropped from the eiffel tower or any other tall building can make quite a mess, i wouldnt like to see what happens when a 15kg lump of metal falls from the sky biggrin.gif

the whole penny off roof thing is a myth. wink.gif the penny reaches maximum velocity, which can sting and get a bruise, but does not cause serious injury. tounge.gif

there has never been a case of a person dieing from a dropped penny.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I BET THE BATTERIES ARE GOING TO KILL US ALL<span id='postcolor'>

LOL. Maybe we'l get lucky and they will fall on Saddam of Osama. Better yet, maybe they'll fall on AntiChrist! (j/k)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna find me a comfortable bunker tomorrow.

15 kg is nothing, it'll probable burn in the atmosphere (or whatever it's called)

And what's the big deal, you'll die anyway biggrin.gif

The whole thing is about it not burning up.

The thought of 15 kg falling from the sky is kind of scary though, they could hit New York and damage a house slightly.

It will burn up, and even if it wouldn't burn up, the chance that it'll fall into the ocean is pretty big (earth= 2/3 water, 1/3 land) and even when it hits land then the chance that'll hit a human or an animal is really small.

You HAVE to be a really unlucky idiot to get one of those rocks on your head biggrin.gif

What is that? I've seen some posts about it but i'm too lazy to check it out, is it worth it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Benze @ April 06 2002,06:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the whole penny off roof thing is a myth.  wink.gif the penny reaches maximum velocity, which can sting and get a bruise, but does not cause serious injury. tounge.gif

there has never been a case of a person dieing from a dropped penny.<span id='postcolor'>

idunno youd be suprised, when a bullet is shot in the air, it comes down with almost as much velocity as had when going up, and could easily kill someone. I wouldnt be suprised if a penny falling from a 20 story building went half way throgh someones skull.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ April 07 2002,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's a forum.

And at the moment it's slow.<span id='postcolor'>

nah, you're banzored for breaking the rule: "don't suxx0r"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 07 2002,19:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You HAVE to be a really unlucky idiot to get one of those rocks on your head biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Mrs. Hodges was about as close as you come:

http://astro.wsu.edu/worthey/astro/html/im-meteor/strikes.html

I can't find on the WEB the picture of her in the hospital, with the doctor showing the large bruise on her hip but I remember for sure that it was printed in the TIME/LIFE Series book on Astronomy.

Imagine what'd happen when it'd hit you on the head. Probable almost the same as a shotgun from close range biggrin.gif

It must be fucked to clean up a mess like that!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 07 2002,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Imagine what'd happen when it'd hit you on the head. Probable almost the same as a shotgun from close range biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Scroll 2/3 of the way down here to get an idea of the outcome. Not for the squeamish!

Three threads in a row you've spammed that url, bye nobby.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ April 07 2002,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">bye<span id='postcolor'>

Hey Placebo, this is about the 8th time that Damage has said "bye". tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 07 2002,19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 07 2002,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Imagine what'd happen when it'd hit you on the head. Probable almost the same as a shotgun from close range biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Scroll 2/3 of the way down here to get an idea of the outcome. Not for the squeamish!<span id='postcolor'>

Well i once saw a pic of a guy executed with a (Belgian biggrin.gif) sniper rifle, the distance was about 1m from his head.

Snipers give pretty much the same effect as a shotgun at close range (there also was a shotgun pic smile.gif )