Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

Any other musicians in the community?

In another couple of months, I am going to be selling ALL of my studio equipment. Done recording the album and gonna focus on some other things in life. Gotten too old to chase the rock star dream lol.

Consoles:

Soundtracs Topaz 24/48 Inline Monitoring Console.

Soundtracs Solo Live 24X4 console

Roland Si-24 Control Surface

Recording Interfaces:

Computer: AMD 4200+ Dual Core, 2GB DDR2-800, ATI X1600 dual head video, 120GB OS/Program HDD, 500GB project HDD, 12 channels in / 12 channels out. 20†widescreen LCD monitor. XP pro, Reaper, and Audicty installed.

-M-Audio Delta 1010: 24bit, 96KHz 8 in/8 out interface

-M-Audio Delta 44: 24bit, 96KHz 4 in/4 out interface

1976 Dokorder 1140 Open Face Reel to Reel 4 track

TEAC AD-3 CD & Cassette deck.

Outboard Gear:

-Ensoniq DP/4 Effects Unit

-Two dbx 266XL Compressor/Gate

-dbx 266 Project 1 Compressor/Gate

-dbx 1046 Four Channel Compressor

-Aphex 105 Quad Noise Gate

-Audio Logic MT-44 Quad Noise Gate

-Omnifex DDX 1024 Digital Delay

-Symetrix 450 Line Mixer

-Two Art HD-31 1/3 Octave EQ’s

-AB International Precedent 600 Power Amp

-Crown D-150A Power Amp

-Yamaha Q2031A Dual 31 band EQ

-96 Point ¼†Mil-Spec patch bay

-Gemini PL-9: Nine outlet power filter w/ two pull out lamps w/ dimmer

Speakers:

-Pair of Yamaha NS-10M Studio Monitors

-Renkus Heinz 15†400W monitor

Microphones:

-Audix D4 Kick Drum Mic

-8 Pc Superlux drum Mic set (Superlux = Audix).

-MXL 990 Condensor w/ Shockmount, dual brace boom, and P-Filter.

-Shure SM-51's 

Cables:

-8 channel 25’ snake

-6 channel 15’ snake

-Several XLR mic cables ranging from 50’ to 15’

-Mono, stereo, and insert cables for the patch bay.

-16 channel ¼†TRS snakes for the Delta 1010 to interface to the console

-8 channel ¼†TRS snake for the Delta 44

-Interface cables for the Delta’s

Other:

-32 channel custom built meter bridge with external power supply.

-Studio Desk: Built specifically for the Topaz and associated equipment.

-4’ long power strip

-Surge Supression power strip for the PC

-Samson 4 channel headphone amplifier

-Boss DR-660 drum machine

- Horizon Rackmount 4 channel DI Box

Backline Instruments:

-Charvel Model 4 Guitar

-Ampeg VH-140C Amp head

-Roland GR-1 Guitar Synthesizer

-11 Pin MIDI cable for the GR-1

-Roland GK-3 MIDI Pickup

-Ensoniq SQ-1+ keyboard w/ stand

-7 piece black drum set

-Paiste 22†RUDE ride: Original issue. Logo intact. No dings, cracks, or dents.

-Paiste 14†RUDE hats: Original issue. Logo intact. No dings, cracks, or dents.

-Crate 15†bass amp

-Guitar stand for 3 guitars (side saddle type)

Edited by -Total-

Breaking Benjamin has been my favorite band for so many years now, I have learned almost every song they have done on guitar, I've covered their 2 singles 'So Cold' and 'Rain' live. I have all their albums and I honestly think they are one of the most talented bands of today, so I made this thread to ask your opinions on the band, what do you like? what don't you like?

I have a few covers what I did here.

So Cold

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7F169Ja59E&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7F169Ja59E&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Sooner or Later

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQXz9-Zft0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQXz9-Zft0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Firefly

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcbvchgSRYk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcbvchgSRYk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Please rate and comment if you could be so kind, thanks.

Well, my inventory of entire recording equipment and backline gear is now for sale!

I'll still be recording, just not at the level I have been. At 40 yrs old, the dream of being the Progressive Rockstar has passed me by lol! Time to scale back and spend my money on other things - like putting some into my retirement fund cuz Social Security ain't gonna be there :D

Here's a link to the sale page on my band's website:

http://lychesis.com/sale/

It has an audio sample of one of the last three songs we just turned in to the mastering studio :)

Hey guys,

dunno why i havent replied here yet, but better late than never.

Been playing in 2 bands since 1989. I own a Ibanez RG550 from that time (91 i think) and lately bought some Jackson (Japan) as a replacement. Didn't pay much attention because the Ibanez cannot be played any longer (too much humidity over the years) so i needed a replacement fast. I thought a Jackson for about 600 Eur wasnt bad and it isnt but its certainly nothing special.

Then i went into a new music shop in my hometown (didnt even know there was one). Talked about 2 hours with the PROs there and came out with a different outlook on guitars. More on that later.

Me, another guitar guy and a drummer have jam sessions every week. I wanted to enter the world of digital recordings but didnt feel like disassembling/moving/setting up my whole pc every week so i bought a room microphone recording on SD card. (Zoom H2)

It really produces a great sound if you have nothing else to record but a small band. No setting up involved, you can easily hear high freq like the hihat / voices and lower freq like bassdrum etc.

Now that we have hours and hours of jam sessions we felt like recording some songs the proper way (mics & digital guitars). Bought the Zoom R24 which lets you record 8 tracks simultaneously on SD card and/or as a DAW on PC HD via USB. Combine that with a free mixer software like Reaper and you have a great home recording setup.

What i do now is i record our drumset with 6 mics and use the other 2 tracks for both guitars. After the session i go home, load all wave files into Reaper and add as many guitars as i like on my pc.

About guitars:

Guys, forget what you thought you know about guitars & cleansounds.

You think your 80', 90' Gibson's got a great sound? Don't keep on reading, leave now.

Ever heard of RUOKANGAS? Me neither, i only learned about his guitars about a week ago. I see the world of guitars in a different light now. But see & hear for yourself.

What he does, why he does it: http://www.ruokangas.com/?page_id=2

Compare a 59' LesPaul (great sound) to the Ruokangas Unicorn - proof that what he does is truly special:

WATCH IN HD for better sound!

Matias Kupiainen from Stratovarius playing a Ruokangas:

Edited by ])rStrangelove

An very interesting topic. I am not a musician yet, but I´ve been practicing guitar playing for 6,5 years now. I just got my amplifier (Marshall JTM60) fixed after it was broken over an year. Finally I also got back to play with my "new" used electric guitar (Tokai Les Paul with Seymor Duncans) after only playing with acoustic (Yamaha FG-413S). I like rythmic melodic guitar songs but not much heavy metal. I think the heavy metal and classical music usually are too steril and boring to listen. Almost unmixed/mastered natural & raw sounds are much more interesting to hear.

I would also like to play drums, but I have no place for them. When I was playing in rookie band for almost an year. I learned to play "When Levee Breaks"-main comp and some simple shufftle comps. Still a lightyear to travel to be John Bonham. :D

My favorite music is of course Led Zeppelin. I also listen much The White Stripes and Ropert Plant solo stuff, also some Neal Young, Jimmy Page solo, Jimi Hendrix, The Raconteurs, Buckethead, CCR, Queens of the Stone Age, The Shadows and The Animals. And last few weeks I´ve been listening much the latest founds - Grizzly Bear and Department of Eagles which both have much incredible indie rock/folk stuff like these:

Btw. Sorry if I told too much. I think it just nice to compare instruments and music tastes.

Edited by SaOk

@ ])rStrangelove

Being a country music fan (and player), I still think Telecaster beats them all. ;)

I myself play the guitar(Primary instrument of choice),ukulele,bass and some basic drumming. next instrument will definately be a mandolin.

As to guitars, nothing beats a Hagstrøm(Hagstrom).

DJ is not musician

like model importer is not modeler

like painting photographer is not painter

electronic music kills skills, kills ambitions

to play metal, you need 5 skilled men to cooperate like fingers of one hand

to make electronic music - no skills, one man, 3 keys in keyboard and easy software

This is bullshit. It's an old post but I have to get my pov in here.

To be a good DJ you need to know the tunes you're playing inside out and understand how to stick them together to get the crowd going. This requires skill, practice and a good ear which are exactly the qualities a "real musician" requires. I know this because I have played musical instruments my entire life (well, since 5y old) and I am also a DJ.

Electronic music also requires skill, musical knowledge and more than 3 keys. Most people I know that make electronic music are far more skilled and knowledgable than any of the metallers I know who can only manage power chords and muted strings.

For the record I play Bass guitar, electric and accoustic guitar, Piano/keyboard, drums, Oboe and the Saxophone. I've played at some pretty large venues in my time including the Albert hall and I've even been on the telly (briefly).

Not in any bands at the moment although I'm open to offers.

I'm not sure, but perhaps he means mainstream DJ work nowadays, not the actual job of being a DJ. I mean, look at all this dance music that's popular right now, it's not even good dance music. In fact, some of the most popular tracks, like We No Speak Americano are horrible. If DJs who make songs like that is what vilas is referring to as not being a musician, then I am in full agreement.

I'm not sure, but perhaps he means mainstream DJ work nowadays, not the actual job of being a DJ. I mean, look at all this dance music that's popular right now, it's not even good dance music. In fact, some of the most popular tracks, like We No Speak Americano are horrible. If DJs who make songs like that is what vilas is referring to as not being a musician, then I am in full agreement.

There are one or two tracks out there that really shouldn't have even been saved the first time in Cubase. "We No Speak Americano" is horribad yes but it's catchy and if you put it on in a "club" full of drunk punters then they will all dance to it... Who is wrong here, the people who buy/dance to the music or the guy who is cashing in on the general public's lack of taste? It's a business for people at the end of the day.

There have been some absolute abominations in the charts that I'm sure were only released as a joke but the kind of people who actually take that kind of music seriously are too stupid to realise.

I'm cynical and bitter about the popular music industry, can you tell? :)

@ ])rStrangelove

Being a country music fan (and player), I still think Telecaster beats them all. ;)

I do respect your opinion of course and i'm sure you say what you believe in.

But i'm also sure you have never tried to directly compare a Ruokanga with your Telecaster and maybe that's why you still have that opinion. :)

All i'm saying is if you ever get the chance to play one, just do it.

If the Unicorn comes close to a 59' LesPaul (the holy grail of LesPauls) it will destroy your Telecaster soundwise. On the other hand, a price of 6500 Eur will raise the question if you love making music enough to pay this.

:)

)rStrangelove;1764462']I do respect your opinion of course and i'm sure you say what you believe in.

But i'm also sure you have never tried to directly compare a Ruokanga with your Telecaster and maybe that's why you still have that opinion. :)

All i'm saying is if you ever get the chance to play one' date=' just do it.

If the Unicorn comes close to a 59' LesPaul (the holy grail of LesPauls) it will destroy your Telecaster soundwise. On the other hand, a price of 6500 Eur will raise the question if you love making music enough to pay this.

:)[/quote']

Heh, i was semi-serious. ;)

Of course there are better guitars then Telecaster, and to be honest, I've never even heard of Ruokanga untill you wrote about it.

It's just, Telecaster has a unique sound that over the years I've come to affiliate with country music.

At the end of the day, the important thing is to enjoy music you love. :)

Kind regards.

At the end of the day, the important thing is to enjoy music you love. :)

Kind regards.

Amen to that.

Oh, my Ruokangas Hellcat Artist #28 has arrived yesterday. Will post my pics later, but it can also still be seen in the shop here:

http://www.ruokangas.com/?p=6136

:)

Woooah!!!

1st impression i got: the playability is awesome and the wood sounds TOTALLY different than my Jackson. You can hear the bass waves going through the whole guitar body, whereas you hear no bass whatsoever in the Jackson. If i close my eyes i swear the Hellcat is indeed a bass guitar, its resonance is mindblowing.

Hi there

I hope I won't get busted by a mod for waking up this old thread, but I got some news to post. :D We finally managed to release our new CD a couple of days ago which is entitled "have some fun". We signed with a major label here in Milan and are very much satisfied how things are turning out. Nowadays signing with a major label is like winning in the lottery, so we consider ourselves quite lucky to have drawn the attention of a major label. We had quite some slowdowns during the last year meanwhile working on the CD furthermore we had to change our band name to "Alchemy Divine" due to legal and copyright reasons. In any case it's done. For those of you who might be interested in, check the link of our website in my signature, click on music there you will find the backcover of the CD, click on any title and you can listen approx. 1 min of every song. The CD went on the second place on the Mondadori website ( one of the major Italian music distribution sites) top album of last week. for the fact that the CD was released last week we consider that quite an achievement. Hope you enjoy the listening.

kind regards

p.s. I appologize for not replying to everyone in this thread but we worked hard to get things going . . . I have always serious time management problems.:D

Playing guitar as we speak. Been playing (self-taught, no lessons) for over two years probably, and singing for about 6 months.

Playing guitar as we speak. Been playing (self-taught, no lessons) for over two years probably, and singing for about 6 months.

Hi there hungrytoheal

that's great, keep it up. If you really fall in love with playing your guitar you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. Important is, never to loose the fun of doing it.

Kind regards

Been playing guitar for about 2-1/2 years now, starting to get into some legato at the moment, just trying to work on speeding things up.

I was originally motivated to buy a guitar from listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, since then I've transcribed by hand, and can play their entire works. My motivations (which usually change every month or so :rolleyes:) are now fueled by a couple of Australian progressive rock bands (

and
), which in turn shifted me into having interest in lead rather than rhythm.

Hi bhaz

thanks for posting the links. These are really great bands making great music. I've a slight preference on The Butterfly Effect but I do like Karnivool too. Still lot's of things to hear of both bands. I didn't know them before, this is a great discovery really. I really appreciate their music. Thanks for posting the links. i've followed the Red Hot Chilli Peppers until Californication than lost track. The songs started to seem always the same. Love the earlie RHP The up lift party Mofo plan was a great record.

thanks for posting

kind regards

Been playing the piano most of my life but started playing seriously some 32 years ago i.e

classical,then at some point i made the hard transition into more popular forms of music,played in loads of bands, had record deals and still playing and recording to this day.

Edited by Thomas C

Been playing piano for 2-3 years now; jazz, blues, improvisation, etc. Mostly by ear.

I'm also into composing, especially soundtrack work. Are there any professional composers in here I could talk to? :D

- HateDread.

Been playing guitar for about 2-1/2 years now, starting to get into some legato at the moment, just trying to work on speeding things up.

I was originally motivated to buy a guitar from listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, since then I've transcribed by hand, and can play their entire works. My motivations (which usually change every month or so :rolleyes:) are now fueled by a couple of Australian progressive rock bands (

and
), which in turn shifted me into having interest in lead rather than rhythm.

I worship both of these bands. Never thought I'd see them mentioned on this forum! Great to see bands with massive levels of musicianship succeeding.

BTW I've been playing bass for an embarrassing number of years...

Hi all

I've been listening to Karnivool for a couple of weeks now and I love it. Really awesome music. It's a real pity I found out about them so late. They even played here in Milan last year and I regret for not having seen the concert, because I didn't know them. Thanks bhaz for having posted the link. I can only recommend this band to all rock music lovers out there. The songs are amazing and the sound is mind blowing. This is a real ear candy. If you don't know them check them out.

Stay tuned:D

Playing drums for six years, and composing for Invasion 1944.