Sign in to follow this  
ladlon

Requirements for ambulance and ammo support

When setting up a simple scenario in the Editor (just my one squad, and the Ambient Battles and Secom modules), what would I need to set up to be able to call in for medical and/or ammo support?

I put in an ambulance and ammo truck (sync'd to my squad), which seem to move around a little sometimes (as opposed to being static objects)... and in one session, I actually had an ambulance come over to me while I was far out away from that spot (...not sure if it was the same ambulance, or one that was created via the secom or ambient battles module), but it was certainly welcome!

Could someone explain how I set it up so I can have ammo/medical support request capability (just so I can be sure). Also, is there a way I can set it up so I can request air support, airstrikes and/or artillery support? Just something where I can point at a particularly intimidating target and have them soften them up a bit...

(I know that succeeding in Secom missions will give you some support abilities, which is great... Just wondering how I can give myself that capability right from the start too)

For the ammo and medical, you need to have the trucks in separate units, and give them the "support" waypoint. they will wait for for some one to call

I am pretty sure thats how its done

Air support and arty is rather more complicated

What's the support waypoint?

I wonder how I got that one ambulance to show up!

In the mission editor when you place the units waypoints make sure to set it to "support" (as opposed to "move")

Also, i think you need to be a squad leader in order to get support (though i think AI will automatically call for it if its needed)

Sorry, still confused... Would the waypoint have to be in a specific spot (the spot to be supported), or is it just a formality, and in reality the support vehicle will go anywhere needed?

My scenario that I made is purely random (using the Secom module to create random events and missions). So I'm a bit confused about the need to create waypoints, as I normally associate them with scripted, predetermined paths and actions.

You need to give the ambulance and ammo truck (which are in separate groups) support waypoints. The support waypoints are where the trucks will move to until you call for support. Once they are at their waypoint they will get out and wait for the order.

You can use anything with the ability to heal as a ambulance I believe. (ex. ambulance, MH-60S, medic, etc.)

Okay, thanks, I'll tinker with that.

What about things like airstrikes and artillery? That was said to be a bit more complex. Could someone give me a summary, just so I get an idea and can tinker with that too?

What I use now is I have an A-10 as part of my fireteam (but make him a different Team colour), and just send him circling around somewhere. When I'm in trouble and need support, I select him and tell him to attack the enemy I'm pointing at. Works well.

Okay, thanks, I'll tinker with that.

What about things like airstrikes and artillery? That was said to be a bit more complex. Could someone give me a summary, just so I get an idea and can tinker with that too?

What I use now is I have an A-10 as part of my fireteam (but make him a different Team colour), and just send him circling around somewhere. When I'm in trouble and need support, I select him and tell him to attack the enemy I'm pointing at. Works well.

Do a search in the Mission Editing and Scripting Forum

There is all types of fun stuff there. Anything about mission editing should be asked there anyway.

What about things like airstrikes and artillery?

This should all probably go in the editing forums...

1. Add a SecOp module to the map.
  2. Sync it to your player (F5 - click and drag from SOM to player.)
  3. Create a trigger and set Activation to Radio Alpha or other radio command.
  4. Set it to 'repeatedly'.
  5. Name it (for example: Trigger_Support)
  6. Put something in the Text field - this is what will show up on the Radio menu in game (for example: HQ Support)
  7. In the OnAct: of this trigger place this:

[["transport", "aerial_reconnaissance", "supply_drop", "tactical_airstrike", "artillery_barrage"], player] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

Save the map and preview.

Hit 0-0-1 to activate (if you set it to Radio Alpha, otherwise hit the right combo.) Select 'HQ Support' (or whatever you put in the Text field.) You should get a hint window with some support info. That's it!

Now, to use it hit 0-8- and take your pick!

Enjoy!

Oh - if you don't want SecOp to give you missions and just want the support options, then put this in the SecOp module init field:

this setVariable ["settings", [[], true, nil, nil, false]];

Edited by Grizzle

Yep, sorry... You're both right. The topic kind of drifted to a true editing subject. I kept thinking the Editing forum of more of a scripting thing. But thanks for the overview. That's pretty much all I need.

This should all probably go in the editing forums...

1. Add a SecOp module to the map.
  2. Sync it to your player (F5 - click and drag from SOM to player.)
  3. Create a trigger and set Activation to Radio Alpha or other radio command.
  4. Set it to 'repeatedly'.
  5. Name it (for example: Trigger_Support)
  6. Put something in the Text field - this is what will show up on the Radio menu in game (for example: HQ Support)
  7. In the OnAct: of this trigger place this:

[["transport", "aerial_reconnaissance", "supply_drop", "tactical_airstrike", "artillery_barrage"], player] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

Save the map and preview.

Hit 0-0-1 to activate (if you set it to Radio Alpha, otherwise hit the right combo.) Select 'HQ Support' (or whatever you put in the Text field.) You should get a hint window with some support info. That's it!

Now, to use it hit 0-8- and take your pick!

Enjoy!

Oh - if you don't want SecOp to give you missions and just want the support options, then put this in the SecOp module init field:

this setVariable ["settings", [[], true, nil, nil, false]];

Been playing with that for some time and it works good as a radio trigger, but when I set it just to "bluefor" activation I was hoping that it would be accesable with the 5,1 "call for support command, but that stays empty.

I have also been trying to call for the med-evac chopper, but cant get that to work. Is that possible at all to have the chopper as support option?

If you have OA or ARMA2 Combined Operations you can place the simple support module down for Airstrikes, Artillery etc. very simple.

yes, but thats not what I want. I only want med-evac available one time. simple support is nice but everything is available and all the time and with secop i don't seem to be able to add a medical chopper.

kind of OT, but still related

Wasn't there a type of support called Gunship or something?

It will calling an chopper to attach enemy around.

How do I add this into the radio support menu?

For anyone who wants to:

Limit support from the simple support module just change this around as needed and save as init.sqf & pop it in your mission folder:

scriptName "init.sqf: 1";

if (isnull player) exitwith {};

if (isserver) then //COMMANDS IN FOLLOWING BLOCK WILL BE EXECUTED ONLY ON SERVER

{

//exclude anything you like.

BIS_SSM_AmmoDrop_AVAILABLE_WEST = TRUE; publicVariable "BIS_SSM_AmmoDrop_AVAILABLE_WEST";

BIS_SSM_UnitsDrop_AVAILABLE_WEST = TRUE; publicVariable "BIS_SSM_UnitsDrop_AVAILABLE_WEST";

BIS_SSM_Airstrike_AVAILABLE_WEST = FALSE; publicVariable "BIS_SSM_Airstrike_AVAILABLE_WEST";

BIS_SSM_Mortar_AVAILABLE_WEST = TRUE; publicVariable "BIS_SSM_Mortar_AVAILABLE_WEST";

BIS_SSM_Artillery_AVAILABLE_WEST = FALSE; publicVariable "BIS_SSM_Artillery_AVAILABLE_WEST";

BIS_SSM_CeaseFire_AVAILABLE_WEST = FALSE; publicVariable "BIS_SSM_CeaseFire_AVAILABLE_WEST";

//number of mortar rounds that fall

BIS_SSM_Mortar_ROUNDS_WEST = 4;

//by default, supports can be called infinitely. To limit them, we need to add separate checks.

//each support has an EXPRESSION that is called when the support is called.

//here we use it to disable ammo drop after one use.

BIS_SSM_AmmoDrop_EXPRESSION = {

BIS_SSM_AmmoDrop_ENABLED_WEST = FALSE;

BIS_SSM_AmmoDrop_AVAILABLE_WEST = FALSE;

call BIS_SSM_fnc_updateMenu; //update list

};

BIS_SSM_UnitsDrop_EXPRESSION = {

BIS_SSM_UnitsDrop_ENABLED_WEST = FALSE;

BIS_SSM_UnitsDrop_AVAILABLE_WEST = FALSE;

call BIS_SSM_fnc_updateMenu; //update list

};

//for mortar we want three available strikes. To count that we need

//to use a separate variable.

mortarsAvailable = 3; publicVariable "mortarsAvailable";

//CONDITIONs are used to check if a support can be called.

BIS_SSM_Mortar_CONDITION = "mortarsAvailable > 0";

//we need to decrement the mortar counter each time it is fired

BIS_SSM_Mortar_EXPRESSION = {

mortarsAvailable = mortarsAvailable - 1;

//we need to add yet another check to hide the icon

if (mortarsAvailable <= 0) then {

BIS_SSM_Mortar_ENABLED_WEST = FALSE;

BIS_SSM_Mortar_AVAILABLE_WEST = FALSE;

call BIS_SSM_fnc_updateMenu;

}

};

//update should be called any time the variables are changed. Leaving it out

//here seems to have no effect but BIS scripts always have it.

call BIS_SSM_fnc_updateMenu;

}

I didn't write it, I copied 'n' pasted from the editing forum but it was last week sometime & I can't remember the author! So sorry about that. ;)

yes, but thats not what I want. I only want med-evac available one time. simple support is nice but everything is available and all the time and with secop i don't seem to be able to add a medical chopper.

You dont have to use the SSM

The default Way Point support method only seems to work for squad leader with a squad.

it works in multiplayer ONLY if there are other players. It should work though :)

you can call in any support this way even if you make 2 medics with little bird give medic leader a single support waypoint (at unit start point even) & is available to Squad leader as medic support. Select ambulance for the support medical blackhawk.

press 5 then 1 then select whatever you made in editor.:yay:

Edited by jgaz-uk