Sign in to follow this  
D3V1ANT_1

we need this for xbox360

keyboard for the xbox? I've never owned a console for this reason but i am impressed with how old the xbox is and what it can still do, I would have no problem giving up my £2000 pc for a £350 console but it would have to have a keyboard and mouse.

My last pc used 2 9800gtx+ and watching my mates play cod4 on the xbox and a hd tv, it looked just as good as my pc and monitor, i did note that my movement was very slow, it would take what felt like ages just to do a 180 compared with how fast i could turn using the mouse but i dont know if this was down to the mouse or the limitations of the xbox.

I love arma2 easy the best fps out at the moment seeing it on the xbox as it is now on my pc, well thats not going to happen anytime soon, on the pc it feels like a war on an xbox i'm thinking more like a slow skirmish, it would be nice if it could be done though. now what could i spend £1650 on, a new tv? now that i think about it i'll just stick with my pc and if i had a bitch( binned her she was interfearing with my gaming :) she could watch eastenders.

Console FPS games definitely feature slower turning speeds, though some people see it as an advantage. In any case it explains why games don't support a mouse, as it gives an advantage some console players would rather see nobody getting, or else they'd be forced to use a mouse as well and play the game in a way they don't like as much. For me, while I think turning with the mouse is a bit too fast in most games, turning on a console is way too much hassle - I'd rather have things a bit easier than RL than having them much much harder.

The #1 reason I just don't see Arma 2 making it to current consoles is performance. My 3 year old PC can run all current console games on max settings, but for Arma 2 the best it can do is run it at 1/2 resolution with minimum settings and minimum view distance, and with that you really can't see much past 50m because it's all pixelated. Even with manually reducing the FOV to make up for the low resolution it was not enough and I just couldn't play it on that computer. So if a computer that can run all console games at max runs Arma 2 like that, I just don't see how consoles will manage to handle Arma 2 no matter how many optimizations are made.

You can't compare Arma 2 to games that were made with console limitations in mind - those games were made first so that they work on the console and then were made to also be playable on the PC, and everyone have been complaining about those limitations quite a lot in any forum thread (here and in other places) that discusses those games.

The Xenon CPU kicks the pants of current PC CPUs, you know. Both the 360 and PS3 are insane at doing the kind of math that games need compared to our OOO PC CPUs...

Xenon can do more than *twice* the number of math-operations per second that my Q6600 can do! You'd have to have a top-of-the-line CPU, overclocked, to match a Xenon...Operation Flashpoint: Elite worked, didn't it? You know, perhaps figuring out how to make it work on a game-pad would actually be a good thing for the PC -- maybe they'd come up with some better menu systems ;P

This quote wasn't aimed at me, but I do program for the 360 ;)

As I said above, it's CPU is twice as good as PC CPUs. Also it's graphics cards can do plenty of things that PC graphics cards still can't do, plus it can enable features that are slow on PC without any extra slow-down. E.g. transparent particle systems (smoke, fire, etc) chew up a *lot* of fill-rate on a PC, but much, much less on the 360 due to the type of RAM accessed by the raster-operation unit...

yeah thats why almost ALL console games are dubbed down from PC versions.

quit talking out of your rear end.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Have you programmed for the 360? How do you know it's limitations? The 360 is basically a stripped down PC. No, it wouldn't look as nice as the PC version maxed out, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good game. Do you play on the consoles at all? If you did and if you browsed any forums for console gamers for those particular games you'd see that a good chunk of the gamers do not WANT the mainstreamed version they've been getting. Quite a few have been asking for a real tactical shooter for a while. It still comes up almost every round of Call of Duty 4 I play online.

Modern Warfare 2 is 2009, yet runs great on the 360. Borderlands is 2009 and runs on the 360. OFPDR is 2009, and runs on the 360. You're making the same mistake as everyone else in assuming that consoles are still in the Playstation/Nintendo 64 era.

modern warfare 2 is a terrible comparison, do you know how much arma2 has to load compared to that? what a joke.

borderlands?! give me a breaaaak.

"No, it wouldn't look as nice as the PC version maxed out" thats exactly right.

just to add , i play arma2 on pc but arma2 could run on a xbox , with a island like everon or utas and maybe even duala , you couldn't run really big missons on a xbox 360 , but i believe arma2 could run on a xbox360 with only 100 Ai max ,

on my pc i could have Ai planes tanks etc coming out of my ears , or atleast battles that last for 3 hours with waves of Ai coming in coming in coming in non stop .lol

but if a xbox 360 had a little more ram it may be a different story , well because the xbox only has to run games and if a pc never had to load windows etc etc we would see amazing results from arma2

Edited by cnickcj

If its the controller you are all worried about, Perhaps you could sell ArmA2 in the same way that confrontation was sold on the ps3, or that voice activated tom clancy crap, Just sell ArmA2 with the qwerty keyboards you can get.. Problem solved!

I am sorry if people manage to miss the sarcasm i have unwittingly added the COMPLETELY POINTLESS TOPIC!

BIS dont port to the Xbox and as much as i adore my ps3, Dont port to that either!

The Xenon CPU kicks the pants of current PC CPUs, you know. Both the 360 and PS3 are insane at doing the kind of math that games need compared to our OOO PC CPUs...

Xenon can do more than *twice* the number of math-operations per second that my Q6600 can do! You'd have to have a top-of-the-line CPU, overclocked, to match a Xenon...Operation Flashpoint: Elite worked, didn't it? You know, perhaps figuring out how to make it work on a game-pad would actually be a good thing for the PC -- maybe they'd come up with some better menu systems ;P

This quote wasn't aimed at me, but I do program for the 360 ;)

As I said above, it's CPU is twice as good as PC CPUs. Also it's graphics cards can do plenty of things that PC graphics cards still can't do, plus it can enable features that are slow on PC without any extra slow-down. E.g. transparent particle systems (smoke, fire, etc) chew up a *lot* of fill-rate on a PC, but much, much less on the 360 due to the type of RAM accessed by the raster-operation unit...

we already have 12 (probably even more by now) core processors planned to be sold to civilians.

they(intel) have a road map of when they plan on releasing the technology, every 2 or 3 years. last i heard (about two years ago) they had plans on selling up to 12core cpus.

i know for a fact theyve made plenty with twice that, recently theyve made an 80core processor. it was capable "of producing 1 trillion floating-point operations per second, known as a teraflop. "

not that any of us have that, but your cpu only boasts a 3 core 3.2ghz processor. lol

most of our cpus would rape that pos.

Edited by Vick

Bumping to say I will buy a console version if Bohemia makes it.

Don't tell me to buy a PC, I only want to spend $60 to play it and it most likely can be done on the hardware.

Thanks.

Bumping to say I will buy a console version if Bohemia makes it.

Don't tell me to buy a PC, I only want to spend $60 to play it and it most likely can be done on the hardware.

Thanks.

Erm...yes...a Game that already struggles with todays Gaming PC's which probably costs over $1000 surely will run extremely fine on 4 year old console for $300.

There is a game out there that tried it...and failed. Although some says it was....well.....nice...

When BIS has news for the console version, I'm sure that they'll inform you. Right now, they have more important things to concentrate on, namely supporting ArmA II and OA on the PC. I'm sure that, if there is a console version, it's the lowest thing on their priorities at the moment.

I guess this thread should also be locked until news is released about a console version.