Sign in to follow this  
terox

New to Multiplayer? (Read this guide)

This post and the document it links to is intended as a basic guide to the ArmA2 Multiplayer environment and is aimed at newcomers to the game.

The document itself can be downloaded from

Previous version: 8th Jan 2010

Latest version:

ArmA2 MP Guide (latest version 10th Jan 2010)

and contains the following information

• Download centre (Links to tools and voice comms applications)
  • Web links (Links to major community websites)
  • Tutorials for:
    • Finding a server
    • Downloading, installing and running addons & mods
    • Voice communication applications
    • 3rd party tools

[*]A dedicated server directory

It is still very much "work in progress" but am sure many will find it useful in it's present state.

To everybody in general

I would be more than happy to accept additional content to this document, tutorials etc.

If anybody finds a particular section misleading or a tutorial difficult to follow then please let me know.

Please try and keep this thread constructive and clean of spam. It is afterall intended to offer information to newcomers to help them play on our servers with us.

This thread is not a place to discuss an individual's preference of Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Mumble or other tools and applications.

If you have a question on anything related to the content, then please ask it here, it will help me to compile a F.A.Q and update the manual to cover the queries

To server admins

There is a reference section at the bottom of the document which contains a dedicated server directory listing.

It contains what I believe is the necessary information required by a player for a game server.

I would be more than happy to list any dedicated server in the directory providing the information is supplied to me by an official representative of that server.

Problems setting up a dedicated server?

Kellys' Heroes have compiled a tutorial to help you with this

Kelly's heroes Dedicated Server Tutorial

This post has been recreated on the blessing of Placebo, so please dont lock or move

Edited by Terox
added the Kellys Dedi Server tutorial

Fantastic.

5 out of 5 stars - the tribune raves.

"If you only read one guide this week, this is it!".

This is a great help for getting things setup.

What about a gameplay manual? I still have trouble controlling my units.

Add a questionmark to the headline and it's a hit! Nice job!

I agree, lack of foresight on my side. I have asked a mod to edit the thread title, here's hoping :-)

What about a gameplay manual? I still have trouble controlling my units.

I am glad you are finding this of use. I wrote it because i felt it was long overdue

ref: A manual for controlling AI.

I dont have plans for doing a manual for that in the short term, maybe when it gets more evolved I may add a Controlling AI section ?

You may however find this of use

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=92991 Maybe when Walker has settled into his training sessions, he may run one for controlling AI

Edited by Terox

Big Kudos to you, Terox, for taking the time and making the effort to support the (MP) Community in this way.

I am sure it will be helpful for a big bunch! Now let the linkage (to this thread) begin! :P

any chance you could add www.world-gamers.co.uk/home to the directory as well

We have a 100 Slot TS 2 server 32 TS 3 beta server and 3 ArmA 2 servers ( Running ACE2, warfare and missions )

Cheers

All done

Good job Terox!

We should bundle all knowledge for getting started in one file and have it stickied for noobs!

GJ terox, would be even nicer if someone would sticky this :)

Thanks for all the support and encouragement I am getting, which will motivate me to add content to this document.

The mods are understandably very reserved at creating sticky's from threads.

If however this thread continues to develop in this way and some of the posts add additional content to the thread then it may very well serve the community better as a sticky.

As you can see from the document as it exists today, I need to add tutorials for

• Six updater (seems to be the priority)
  • Ventrillo,
  • Mumble
  • TS3

I would also like to include a section on

The latter has Ventrilo/Teamspeak overlays and much more.

Some of the information contained within the document is available on the Wiki, but for some reason newcomers dont seem to find it

Edited by Terox

What about a section on available Leagues, Same as you have done with servers ?

If Terox can be provided with the necessary info on available leagues, I'm sure he could implement such a thing. ;)

Not sure if that would be relevant to this document.

Once the newcomer has found a suitable "Home" to regularly play on, wouldnt those community members then offer him a place in their league games?

A central listing for competition leagues would be a good idea though

There is a wiki on it http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Tournaments but if you wanted to keep all info in one place I just thought that would be classed as a good reference guide for any new players,,,, eg.. someone from BF who would like to play arma but would also prefer to play competitively, they could get all their info in one place, but nm, if you dont think its relevant buddy, Still an awsome document.

Btw did you get my message With regards to the SBS server ?

I really like the servers info section.

Are there any plans for any direct web pages for them?

I had discussed something similar with Placebo a few years back with A1, which he referred to the squad pages.

A direct link to a web page would be much faster for visitors to retrieve info to servers/mods used/Voip ect.

GJ Terox

Great job Terox. It's nice to see people actually going out of there way to help noobs new players instead of telling them to 'search for it themselves' or 'google it'.

(although googling/searching for something does answer 99.9% of my questions/problems)

I wonder why isn't there a new players forum section?

Like when you first register you get lead there before you can post in the other sections (maybe there is already, been awhile since I registered here). Not so much somewhere to post often, but maybe make them post 1 time in the 'new player info forum' just to let them know the info is there (you would have to have 1 post count to post anywhere else). Just my 2 cents... :rolleyes:

This guide, as well as several other well written guides by other players, would be a good start there.

But then again, the mods have their hands full with the forum sections we got now... ;)

Are there any plans for any direct web pages for them?

A direct link to a web page would be much faster for visitors to retrieve info to servers/mods used/Voip ect.

I'm not sure i know what you mean?

The Server directory consists of information given to me by the Admins of those servers, inclusive of their Website address.

Could you explain this in depth ?

There is a wiki on it http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Tournaments but if you wanted to keep all info in one place I just thought that would be classed as a good reference guide for any new players,,,, eg.. someone from BF who would like to play arma but would also prefer to play competitively, they could get all their info in one place, but nm, if you dont think its relevant buddy, Still an awsome document.

Btw did you get my message With regards to the SBS server ?

Yes I have your PM, I'll add that info on the next update m8.

What I will do is point to the League Page in the wiki and add a small paragraph about it.

Edited by Terox

Would you like to add some information about voice control in ArmA2?

I have typed up a brief introduction to the most popular tools Pilfius, Shoot, etc and some remarks about installing them. It is written in German but I could translate it if you find this info useful.

Would you like to add some information about voice control in ArmA2?

I have typed up a brief introduction to the most popular tools Pilfius, Shoot, etc and some remarks about installing them. It is written in German but I could translate it if you find this info useful.

This is voice recognition to control AI?

Its not exactly for the newcomer, but it would probably be worthy for addition

Terox,

fine, I'll send you the translation in a couple of days and you can see if you want to use it.