Sign in to follow this  
Moosed

This is amazing

how on earth do you do this ? is it a mod ? looks like the greatest thing ever... would make ordering AI about so much easier !

j5gwK4g78oQ

Yep. They're definitely being warped at the last minute, but I think I can see where this is going, too.

It would be very helpful in precise positioning of AI squad members.

Wtf? This mod just came out of nowhere? Nothing about it in the modding forums and I cant find anything on Google. I'm kind of skeptical.

:/ what the hell is this?

Why has there been no mention of it?

Jebas! Can't see youtube videos from where I am, would someone kindly narrate what is happening please? Something tells me this can greatly enhance SP gameplay!

Jebas! Can't see youtube videos from where I am, would someone kindly narrate what is happening please? Something tells me this can greatly enhance SP gameplay!

A quick description: a group of units is controlled by the player by moving a formation of coloured markers around the ground. It seems to be centered on the player's aim, similar to the "move to" command. The coloured objects are like little triangles pointing in the unit's desired direction.

If the coloured objects are placed near to a building, they "snap" into a new position, basically lining them up along the wall, with the final unit pointing backwards to watch the 6 o'clock position. When the markers are placed, the units then move to these new positions.

It looks to me like the formation of these coloured objects is selectable, wedge, column, line etc. Also, you can split the formation into sub-groups and move them separately, and join them up again.

I think this is someone's personal WIP that either is being quietly worked on and will suddenly emerge, or is shelved for some reason.

I hope to see more of it, although having autonomous AI is generally good, in some cases it'd be nice to have more control. Particularly when you wish to get the AI into some area that they seem reluctant to get to themselves, like a compound or something. There's always one who ends up orbiting the outside :D

Did you played Full Spectrum Warrior?

The mod use a pointer to units like the one seen on the FSW game.

Looks good, but when standing at the side of a building it would be better if the middle units would not look at the back of someone else but to the side, getting 180 degrees of cover.

It is truly amazing. We need to grab this as a beta is Alimag will allow it.

Looks like the AI get setpos'd right at the last second. Still, has potential. :)

You're right, kind of kill the immersion. It looks much better without the setpos but it's less precise.

The problem is that the AI doesn't like to go near buildings. They will stop at 5 meters or so of a wall and declare ready even though their destination is much closer to it. I had to terminate the approach with an animation and, as expected, other problems poped up. The most obvious one is that I have to create a detect script for the units so they can snap out their animation to face possible threats...the basics are there (in my head) but I had to take a break.

I'll soon return to that project and try my best to put together something that could look like a WIP that I could release. Trust me, there is nothing to release yet.

Thanks for the interest

Cheers

Did you played Full Spectrum Warrior?

The mod use a pointer to units like the one seen on the FSW game.

Yep, def reminds me of Full Spectrum Warrior on the XBox where the squad positions were defined by pointing to a nearby building and moving around until the desired formation is reached. Could make for more controllable urban combat if it is fully implemented.

I like the concept - nice work.

Oops - parallel post. Yep, one thing Full Spectrum did (irc) was orientate the squad to cover all the angles and for the lead to peek around the corner, looking for threats. But then, I am getting greedy . . .

Edited by cjph

Looks nice.

Would be cool in some RTS mod, better if they could knee or prone behind cover. Would look like CoH\DoW2.

Keep the good work ;)

a suite of scripts from what he said on the one video.

this would be more concise then usual box.

Yep, def reminds me of Full Spectrum Warrior on the XBox where the squad positions were defined by pointing to a nearby building and moving around until the desired formation is reached. Could make for more controllable urban combat if it is fully implemented.

I like the concept - nice work.

Oops - parallel post. Yep, one thing Full Spectrum did (irc) was orientate the squad to cover all the angles and for the lead to peek around the corner, looking for threats. But then, I am getting greedy . . .

Definatly FSW, but I like it, I thought it worked well. Keep working on this I think this is something ARMA needs to get the AI even more realistic for CQB

Brilliant work but I agree with an above poster, make the middle units look to the flank - maybe even get the first guy to kneel so the one behind him can shoot over his head?