Sign in to follow this  
Barrier

GPU Comparison Links Requested

For the life of me I can't remember the link to a graph based GPU comparison that shows multiple games, and encompasses most of the modern GPU's. It was one I found not long ago, and had as new as the 5890 on it.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 3870x2, to a new gfx card, but googl'ing has been hell. I either find reviews that are negative because someone rated an item low due to a DOA card, or an incompatibility, or I find positive "fanboi" style reviews.

Any suggestions on where to look for proper measurements? I'd like to compare price vs. quality, as it applies to 1080p+ resolutions on a single monitor, assuming as much AA enabling as possible.

ARMA2 runs reasonably well on my 3870x2, but I'm quite sure it's nowhere near what the more modern cards can do.

If it matters, my budget is in the 300-500 range, but I would rather go on the low end, considering gfx cards are usually the piece that is outdated the fastest. On the other hand, I would be willing to go higher if the increase in performance is substantial.

Suggestions, or links to proper comparisons, would be greatly appreciated!

(My current hardware is a Phenom II x4 3.0 [stock], 4gb Corsair, Asus mobo, 1100 watt PSU, Raid 0 + backup, x-fi sound, 52" 1080p Sony)

Thanks for reading this!

[/color]

For the life of me I can't remember the link to a graph based GPU comparison that shows multiple games, and encompasses most of the modern GPU's. It was one I found not long ago, and had as new as the 5890 on it.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 3870x2, to a new gfx card, but googl'ing has been hell. I either find reviews that are negative because someone rated an item low due to a DOA card, or an incompatibility, or I find positive "fanboi" style reviews.

Any suggestions on where to look for proper measurements? I'd like to compare price vs. quality, as it applies to 1080p+ resolutions on a single monitor, assuming as much AA enabling as possible.

ARMA2 runs reasonably well on my 3870x2, but I'm quite sure it's nowhere near what the more modern cards can do.

If it matters, my budget is in the 300-500 range, but I would rather go on the low end, considering gfx cards are usually the piece that is outdated the fastest. On the other hand, I would be willing to go higher if the increase in performance is substantial.

(My current hardware is a Phenom II x4 3.0 [stock], 4gb Corsair, Asus mobo, 1100 watt PSU, Raid 0 + backup, x-fi sound, 52" 1080p Sony)

Thanks for reading this!

The problem is most of the GPU comparisons are old now, new driver releases have made those tests redundant.

ATI 4870 was out doing the GTX260 but with recent driver releases there is no difference except... you'll always get better support with Nvidia, they move quicker to fix problems, ATI are far to slow to react... and the drivers.... always f'ing problems with ATI drivers at some point.

Buy a GTX2xx series, will be a better card the the ATI equivalent now and in the long run... that's just my option :)

get the 5850 or 70. The 5970 is way too much. Price is about 260eu and 360eu. Plenty of horsepower to go.

and btw, the ATI perform better in A2 than nvidia...

get the 5850 or 70. The 5970 is way too much. Price is about 260eu and 360eu. Plenty of horsepower to go.

and btw, the ATI perform better in A2 than nvidia...

Your opinion TBH. I'm getting better performance out of my Nvidia rig when it comes to A2. Mileage obviously varies.

@ OP - Personally, I wouldn't buy any Video hardware until we see what Nvidia shows up with in March.

Of course no one really knows how good or bad it will be but always best to have the big picture before making a decision.

JFYI, there is no 5890 at present so I'm guessing it's a typo on your part. They (5890 and 5890x2) are supposed to show up in July.

Your opinion TBH. I'm getting better performance out of my Nvidia rig when it comes to A2. Mileage obviously varies.

@ OP - Personally, I wouldn't buy any Video hardware until we see what Nvidia shows up with in March.

Of course no one really knows how good or bad it will be but always best to have the big picture before making a decision.

JFYI, there is no 5890 at present so I'm guessing it's a typo on your part. They (5890 and 5890x2) are supposed to show up in July.

There IS a 5970, which is what he said.

There IS a 5970, which is what he said.

I never disputed that, I own a 5970.

He said 5890, which there isn't and that's what I corrected. Maybe you should read more carefully before commenting :)

my bad, i missed the "@OP" and thought you were addressing the quote ;)

Np mate.

Happy New Year :)

You'll never go wrong with Nvidia, ATI are great but can be a pain in the ass... no where near the effort and support of Nvidia.

Just before christmas my 4870x2 burnt out and I went out and bought a 5850.

ArmA2 runs really well with it... it's hard to explain, but in some ways ArmA2 runs smoother with the single core 5850, but in other areas the 4870x2 was smoother - it's hard to put your finger on but you can just 'feel' it. Overall I think the 5850 runs better... half as much memory as the 4870x2 but at the same time a faster memory clock.

To be honest I will never again buy a double GPU card. The heat issues are ridiculous unless you are prepared to go out and invest in a heavy-duty cooling system. Many games don't support or have some issues with double GPU cards (ArmA2 included) and some games end up running slower... so I think overall the fast single-GPU cards are the way to go both in price and performance.

Just before christmas my 4870x2 burnt out and I went out and bought a 5850.

ArmA2 runs really well with it... it's hard to explain, but in some ways ArmA2 runs smoother with the single core 5850, but in other areas the 4870x2 was smoother - it's hard to put your finger on but you can just 'feel' it. Overall I think the 5850 runs better... half as much memory as the 4870x2 but at the same time a faster memory clock.

To be honest I will never again buy a double GPU card. The heat issues are ridiculous unless you are prepared to go out and invest in a heavy-duty cooling system. Many games don't support or have some issues with double GPU cards (ArmA2 included) and some games end up running slower... so I think overall the fast single-GPU cards are the way to go both in price and performance.

While the 4870x2 has 2gb of memory, its split to 1gb per GPU on the card, so effectively it has only 1gb, so you shouldnt see that as a factor.

Cumulatively, 4870 X2's effective memory size is still 1GB, since data must be replicated into each GPU's memory space.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and links.

I've decided to go with the 5850, as it seems like a sweet spot for price vs. performance.

As Joseph Troska pointed out, I too have run into issues with multi-gpu cards. In fact I'm surprised at how many of the tests out there show SLI/CF, or multi-gpu cards, as front runners without the need to explain the potential shortcomings outside of hand picked test subject matter.

I was also surprised that the 5850 and 5870 weren't in the mass-combined Tom's Hardware list. They should really also have their graphs broken down into single card/multi-card as well, as it's a nightmare to sift through endless combinations of outdated cards that are sli'd/cf'd to find the current single card contenders. I used to rely on Tom's for a lot of reviews, but I've found them to be less and less of a reliable source of practical information.

Thanks for reading this!

from 3870 X² to 4870 =>

IMG0023657.gif

from 4890(15% more than 4870) to 5870 =>

IMG0027091.gif

now you have tracks. my hint is 4870 X². cheap & nearly equal to 5870, but hurry up , the more you wait, the harder it will be to find one .

ps: source from Hardware.fr

Edited by GLeek