Sign in to follow this  
BenTrem

Cancelled Tools Installation

As I mentioned on Discussion for Tools Drive in Wiki, I had to Cancel installation.

I got an error msg: something like "Not enough room to install tools".

After I Canceled I checked and found that a) all the tools previous in the queue (Nice installer, BTW) were in place, and b) the C: drive on my little laptop had 80+Gig free.

So I'm not sure what failed to install, or why ...

... what I see is a very fine set of tools!

*first post; don't shoot!*

p.s. I'm talking about Bohemia_Interactive-Editing_Tools.zip

Edited by BenTrem
name tool set

Not sure I'm clear, you manually canceled installation and got an error as a result, or installation was canceled because you got an error?

Do you happen to have an already existing P: drive maybe?

Gnat;1533199']you manually canceled installation and got an error as a result' date=' or installation was canceled because you got an error?[/quote']The former, almost.

Got the alert ... which stopped the installation.

At that point I pondered the situation, Cancelled, and found things is pretty good shape. (I don't really know what failed to install, but aborting was non-catastrophic, for which I'm grateful!)

Gnat;1533199']Do you happen to have an already existing P: drive maybe?
No such.

And not sure what this was attempting to do; create a virtual drive? I don't follow the logic here.

Edited by BenTrem
enable notification

Well, maybe P: drive already existed and the Tool didn't like it as it maybe tried to create another. Maybe

So what happened? You restarted the instalation?

Gnat;1536737']Well' date=' maybe P: drive already existed and the Tool didn't like it as it maybe tried to create another. Maybe.[/quote']Well ... I would know if I had a P: drive, no?

But to be safe: is P: a temporary virtual drive set up and used during the installation? I don't know what it was supposed to do, what this routine was supposed to achieve, so cannot pretend to trouble-shoot it. (Something to do with Designated Partition? I don't understand why that's called for, you see.)

Gnat;1536737']So what happened? You restarted the instalation?
As I wrote above: everything looked fine' date=' and I'm moving through the toolset. (Slowly ... this is my first glance of BIS tools; it's quite a learning curve.)

And again, as I wrote above, I don't know what the P: drive routine was supposed to produce, so I don't know what failed to install, if anything.

[i']Addendum[/i]: a very fine "How to Setup Tools" from "ArmA_2_Terrain_Tutorial" in Wiki. From your (Gnat66x)

" I learned that "P: is mirror of your main archive address, the same as \ArmA2Work. Tools require that P: be set up." So I'll run through install again and see what the failure mode is. (Running Vista ... all bets are off.)
Edited by BenTrem
added reference link

Oh, ok.

Well, after (re)reading your first post several time, I thought you had an unsolved problem .... which is why most people post here .... but that now appears to not be the case.

Anyway ....... If the tools were setup properly, once you restart the PC, you should have a Virtual Drive, P.

P drive is basically your "work" drive. Your projects need to reside there, for the tools to work properly.

Try the old "run as administrator" on the tools maybe

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Gnat;1537586']... I thought you had an unsolved problem .... which is why most people post here .... but that now appears to not be the case.
What I really intended was to report what seemed to me a vague / ambiguous failure mode.

I don't want to seem argumentative but: for me what naive / first time users experience can bring design weaknesses to light, the sort of thing experienced users easily pass through / work around.

In my case what I saw was an Alert that halted installation, and what I needed to do was Cancel.

Worst case: entire tools were not installed, configuration files were corrupt.

Best case: P: wasn't created ... but everything was ready to work.

It seems that "best case" is actually true.

Now if I can free up a little block of time I'll run through things and see for sure!

p.s. no hint that user priviledges have caused any problem. though heh you know you know how it is with Vista: that's always lurking in the bushes.

What size RAM does your computer have? I have had trouble before trying to install o2 tools with 8Gb RAM in and after removing it works fine :)

Why you dig out an 4 months old thread when the threadstarter obviously has been banned and is unable to reply. :rolleyes: