Sign in to follow this  
GIJOE94

Speech Problem!

Im trying to put sounds into my missions, I have followed a tutorial on how to do this but still to no avail. I named the sound Speech, and converted it to .ogg. I writ this description:

class CfgSounds

{

// List of sounds (.ogg files without the .ogg extension)

sounds[] = {song};

// Definition for each sound

class song

{

name = "Speech"; // Name for mission editor

sound[] = {\sound\Speech.ogg, 1, 1.0};

titles[] = { };

};

};

I saved this in a Sound folder along with the .ogg file in my mission, and in the editior when I set up a trigger

with playsound "Speech" in the activation, when I load the mission I get this error: "sound Speech not found"

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? thanks guys.

You use the classname to reference to the sound (in this case song) ;)

I changed it to this:

class CfgSounds

{

// List of sounds (.ogg files without the .ogg extension)

sounds[] = {Speech};

// Definition for each sound

class Speech

{

name = "Speech"; // Name for mission editor

sound[] = {\sound\Speech.ogg, 1, 1.0};

titles[] = { };

};

};

But I still get the same error, is this not what I was ment to do?

Still the same:confused: I remember how tricky it was with the first Arma

If you get the trigger to play it using the Effects option, does it work properly? Since you've given it a name, that name should appear in the list of sounds in either the "Anonymous" or "Speech" sections, I think.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Also - did you save or reload the mission in the editor after you changed the classname? Changes to Description.ext will only be noticed by the game if you load or, for some reason, save the mission after the change was made.

And just as a confirmation... playSound "classname" - you need to put the classname in quotes or it does nothing, but it's definitely the name of the class you need, not the name assigned to it using "name" (I think that's purely for the editor, and nothing else uses it).

I saved and reloded it, same thing. I couldn't find it in voice or anonymous and I typed playsound "Speech" but still I get the same results. I apoligize for any fustration.

Can you put the mission somewhere I can download it and have a look?

Alternatively, I did a very tiny sound demo mission not long ago. Just has the player and a trigger which plays a sound when the player enters it, and plays a different one when the player leaves it. So, you can have a look at that and see if you can spot the difference; http://mirror.quex.org/arma/SoundDemo.utes.zip

I have uploaded it at filefront here: http://www.filefront.com/15274753/A10_TRAINING_TTA.rar/. Its only an anandoned mission which Im experimenting with sounds with it.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Ok I got it up in the editor now, I didn't have the Description.EXT in the Mission folder, I put it in the sound folder (DUH!). I don't here anything but I think the file broke in the conversion. Thanks for all the help guys, much apreciated!

Hopefully you've got it sorted now. I downloaded to have a look and the 'bravo' trigger wasn't configured to play anything, either via the effects menu or in script. So I added the sound and it was very, very quiet.

You could change the definition to

sound[] = {\sound\Speech.ogg, db+40, 1.0};

but you'd probably be better off increasing the volume of the file, or re-recording it.

Ok I put the sound in the Bravo trigger in both voice and anonymouse, and aded the playSound "Speech" and I can't hear anything, but Im a bit deaf so it could be just me. I'll keep trying though, thanks for all your help!

It is very quiet and if you don't have the game amplify it, or replace it with a louder version, you won't be able to hear it over the engine of the A-10, I'm pretty sure of that. Have you tried activating the Bravo trigger before you start the engines? And maybe turn your volume up. :)

Yeah, I can just about hear it now, had to put the volume on full. Thanks for all your help.