Sign in to follow this  
.kju

Final release of CAA1

How many games that are released also contain the entire content of their preceding games in the series? I don't understand why anyone thinks BI should have done this...

Because the modding scene is what generally keeps people interested in playing BIS' games (i.e. not many people would have stuck with OFP for over 5 years if it had just remained the game that it was at release) for a prolonged period of time, and is one of the biggest selling points for BIS' games (for the normal consumers) to this day. Just look up topics where people ask advice whether to get a BIS game or not, and why they should. Most replies will point to the enormous amount of user-made content first and foremost. Word-of-mouth communication has sold a huge amount of copies of OFP, ArmA and ArmA2 because of the large amount of things you can mod the game into.

Converted addons & mods might not look as good as made-for-ArmA2 content, but they bridge the gap between the release of the game (in this case ArmA2) and the point where addon/modmakers have had enough time to make their addons fully comply with the standard of the new game. It keeps players happy for the time being. Most games have no where near the modding scene that BIS' games have (or had, depending on your POV), so putting time into developing conversion tools makes little sense for their developers. They are just interested in making one product, selling it to people and then producing and selling them their next product.

Edited by JdB

Thanks for the work on caa1, Q. I used it a couple of times and it, at the very least, was a good demonstrator for how superior the A2 engine is over A1. I think that this embarrassing freak out could possibly had been avoided if you had kept one thing in mind:

You make mods and start hobby projects because YOU want to. Period.

Not because you want support from BIS.

Not because you want community accolades or support.

Not to mention, if company support was a prerequisite for you to enjoy your own hobby, you may have wanted to avoid this situation in the first place by discussing it first. Then, when they say no, you can decide whether or not you want to start it. Then you can save yourself from what sounds like months of frustration culminating in the above.

Of course, if you have pre-arranged with some people to do something and the help never materializes, that is another thing... but that's also between you and them.

Edited by Max Power

How many games that are released also contain the entire content of their preceding games in the series?

It's common in simulations. Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum merged with the earlier game, Apache vs Havok for example. As for something new, the DCS series.

Thanks for CAA1 and the opportunity to enjoy the great old works all over again.

, I remember quipping him about his impending comeback in a very similar thread over 5 years ago.

Your a troll for 5 years now! wow you must have a franchise on bridges.

Your a troll for 5 years now! wow you must have a franchise on bridges.

Yeah, better watch out or I'll troll you as well. :rolleyes:

I spendt some hours here is the result:

CAA1 Full Installer with classic and Autumn plants.

HTTP download and torrent

i included the batch file to start the game its very simple made.

i hope i did no mistake.

This works very well, thankyou.

@kju, It is so good to have the ArmA islands in my editor.

Thanks a million.

@kju

Thank you very much for your modding work! I personally use a lot of it. CAA1 and a big part from the Proper project, which allows me to play ArmA II on my old PC rig.

And kju, you know it and I know it: Once you get into OFP/ArmAI/ArmAII, you wont quit it so quick. You will be back after you take a break and get motivated again. There is a long list of people who left ArmA and then came back, even after years.

;)

@kju

And kju, you know it and I know it: Once you get into OFP/ArmAI/ArmAII, you wont quit it so quick. You will be back after you take a break and get motivated again. There is a long list of people who left ArmA and then came back, even after years.

;)

Yep. I skipped Arma but I'm back to Arma II. The editor and what you can do with the game are very addictive. Other games are just adrenaline rushes and die after a few days. You'll be back...

Cheers for your work!

Im alt-tabbed out of The Saboteur right now, reading about Arma2 and thinking about the next A2 mission Im going to try and make.

Always come back to Arma2!

Well i kinda agree tbh, ive been modding for awhile now ive worked on many projects and had to deal with lots of hassle and sometimes basicly just crap respect to modding people. People should just try to realize that us modders do this kinda thing in our freetime, there was a time when i had lots of it and i could mod night and day. But times have changed so much since i started modding i think it was back in 2001 or something and things back then were so simple and people were much more helpful and generally friendly to us, and yet nowadays people are just so demanding and selfish that some people make the modders themselfs feel like they have big duty to fulfill a hole or something to someone who wants more out of their game. During my time modding when i was working on a mod for hl2 for 3yrs i looked backed one day and thought ive really let myself get sucked in by all this and said to myself since never let myself get sucked into this kinda stuff it gets addictive and people can generally be very rude and unrespectful and i say to myself dont listen to them they have bought nothing from you, you owe them nothing and so on their opinions or whatever towards your project or whatever your working on are worth nothing.

I know how you feel Kju ive been there many times and sometimes feel the same way. Its a feeling of ive wasted my time.

Edited by Opticalsnare

If you are interpreting this as asking for money you clearly have a problem with either Q or English.

He is complaining that the burden this community is putting on a so few devs is too big and demanding and that there is a clear lack of interest to dev work in the community. He thinks this will kill the community.

Possible solutions to get out of this dilemma and to have more hobby developers, he thinks the following might help in the future;

1) change in people's attitude

2) compensate hobby developers by donating

3) take time to read the provided documentation and to familiarize with your hobby.

++Agree

Some people here are listening to (a) rogue(s) who want their own personal interpretation to be law and obvious thought the "ungrateful, lazy and stupid" was likely refering to them lol.

Those who do contibute (I'm talking about resources and practical assistance) to the community IMHO have FAR more rights within this community than those who are only concerned with creating posts.

Yes, thats right, I'm a contributer too, of course I would say that. Suck on it! :P

lol Gnat, so true.

So I threw in another old mission and updated norrins revive script to 0.4(i think) and it works great again! Good stuff! ;)

I remember why I stopped trying to port over missions. Armor had a problem crossing the bridge at Corazol. That's basically it lol. :D I thought I'd do something else until it's more developed. That was a while ago. I haven't tried the BMP over the bridge test yet. We all know what happens when they do cross the bridge...

MOwkApo9pkY

Armor had a problem crossing the bridge at Corazol.

Lol..when haven't they..they were not able to cross it in ArmA1 let alone in a ported mission :icon_lol:

and another lol for the video

Edited by Cross

Gnat;1533140']

Those who do contibute (I'm talking about resources and practical assistance) to the community IMHO have FAR more rights within this community than those who are only concerned with creating posts.

There is a discussion about how to make more noob people be interested in dev work and yet you come out with that quote saying you have more rights than all those noob. I think that thinking you are superior to anybody will only make the new guys go away and not wanting to learn.

Lol..when haven't they..they were not able to cross it in ArmA1 let alone in a ported mission :icon_lol:

and another lol for the video

I always got them to cross, as you can see in the vid. Just put a waypoint at one end and another at the other end set to limited speed. Simple as that.

Gnat;1533140']Some people here are listening to (a) rogue(s) who want their own personal interpretation to be law and obvious thought the "ungrateful' date=' lazy and stupid" was likely refering to them lol.[/b']

Yes, thats right, I'm a contributer too, of course I would say that. Suck on it! :P

[TF2Spy] Tell me, who, then, is he talking about with that statement? Has he yet to deny that his original intent was the community in general? [/TF2Spy]

I agree that people who do contribute deserve a certain amount of respect within the community, but the idea behind building a good community is that we don't pick favorites and bow down to them. They shouldn't have "FAR" more rights, they should have more respect. They, too, are users on this forum, and they, too, have to follow the rules.

I too am a contributor, which I'm sure shocks a lot of you because I get hardly any attention for anything that I release, which is sure disappointing given the time I put into it, but I don't have a ridiculous freakout like Q did and call everyone ungrateful, lazy and stupid, and demand money for my work. It should be the satisfaction of doing what you're doing that you do it for, not for money or fame.

Thank you Kju for everything. The massive amount of work you put in for the community makes one humble to say the least. I hope you wont disapear completely.

Thank you.

Well not reading all the rubbish posted above , but just wanting to aknowledge that at Fusion clan we SIMPLY play using Q's addons 3 times aweek and im sure our fun wouldnt be the same without this work.

Times work like this and yoma's etc CAN go unpriased by all but the vet gamers on the ground know and use and love these works.

Not sure if this is enough but thanks anyway guys.

Dave

http://www.fusion-squad.eu/

I'm one relatively new noob to modding that is doing something about the problem.

Before kju threw in the towel I contacted him about several object problems on Sahrani (half buried transmission towers, floating fountains, water tanks half-buried in buildings, etc.) and offered to help fix them. He asked me to send him missions illustrating the problems I had found and he would attend to them. I produced about 30 such missions but before I got around to sending them, he pulled the plug.

I have now figured out how to fix them and have made the fixes. I have two files to upload - caa1_p_buildings.pbo (approx. 398 mb) and caa1_p_misc.pbo (approx. 297 mb). I think it would be best if they could be rolled into the packages kju made (i.e downloadable with Yoma tools, etc.) but so far he has not responded to any of my emails (I have been emailing to his dev-heaven address). He has also blocked pm's on this forum.

Anyone know how to reach him?

------edit------

Here are some screen shots illustrating some of the fixes:

Before:

Arma2_CAA1_Tower_s.jpg

After:

Arma2_CAA1_Tower_fix_s.jpg

Before:

Arma2_CAA1_Fountain_s.jpg

After:

Arma2_CAA1_Fountain_fix_s.jpg

Edited by KaBoNG
added images

Gnat;1533140']++Agree

Some people here are listening to (a) rogue(s) who want their own personal interpretation to be law and obvious thought the "ungrateful' date=' lazy and stupid" was likely refering to them lol.[/quote']

Interpreting Q's post to not be an arrogant lashout at anyone he doesn't personally know takes more imagination than the more obvious choice, I'll give you that.

Gnat;1533140']Those who do contibute (I'm talking about resources and practical assistance) to the community IMHO have FAR more rights within this community than those who are only concerned with creating posts.

Yes' date=' thats right, I'm a contributer too, of course I would say that. Suck on it! :P[/quote']

You sound like a prime example of what's wrong in the community today. Moody modders can say and do anything and they'll be treated with silk gloves so they'd keep releasing addons, is that it? If you're so proud to make such a distinction, please point out a few members in this thread who do not contribute to the community and should have far less rights.

my opinion that kju/Q has earned my vote for community member of the year regardless of this thread and the abandonment of the CAA1 project. Not only has he helped countless people with projects like the Proper suite, he has participated in this forum with helpful suggestions and in some cases direct instructions on how to overcome various issues. On top of that he's a dam good player with skills, tactics, and teamwork.

I thank kju for all his work. gg!

It saddens me to read some of the posts here, but that is the nature of this forum. I appreciate the freedom to speak my mind with the knowledge that given respectfully, it will remain.

Kju/Q is an OFP giant. You whiners need to tone down the butthurt. The man hands over a bunch of free shit and states one little opinion and you start crying.

Its pathetic.

my opinion that kju/Q has earned my vote for community member of the year regardless of this thread and the abandonment of the CAA1 project. Not only has he helped countless people with projects like the Proper suite, he has participated in this forum with helpful suggestions and in some cases direct instructions on how to overcome various issues. On top of that he's a dam good player with skills, tactics, and teamwork.

I thank kju for all his work. gg!

My thoughts exactly.

-Ziggy-;1533693']my opinion that kju/Q has earned my vote for community member of the year regardless of this thread and the abandonment of the CAA1 project. Not only has he helped countless people with projects like the Proper suite' date=' he has participated in this forum with helpful suggestions and in some cases direct instructions on how to overcome various issues..[/quote']

I agree. His was the first name I thought of when I saw nomination for community member O' year, just for the sheer amount of projects, tweaks, coding help and corrections -the guy's name is in just about every credit list for many projects.

That said, I give him the benefit of the doubt for his reason for such an abrupt departure but suspect that some individual incident happened that we don't even know about.

The class warfare/forum hierchy arguments going on after the fact is disturbing to say the least. Yes some readers are lazy and ask stupid repetitive questions (myself too sometimes), but the vast majority of major mod threads are filled to the brim with supportive praise.

Lets all just get along now yall :p

Edited by froggyluv

Kju/Q is an OFP giant. You whiners need to tone down the butthurt. The man hands over a bunch of free shit and states one little opinion and you start crying.

Its pathetic.

What's more pathetic is worshipping someone as a giant. :rolleyes:

A little opinion? I wouldn't say that calling the entire community that he provides this "free shit" to "lazy, ungrateful and stupid" is a "little opinion".

Alas, I'm done with this crap. I appreciate Q's hard work work, and it deserves to be praised. It's unfortunate that it was released with such disgust.