Sign in to follow this  
Plam

Dedicated Linux 1.05 troubles

Hello,

I'm just starting with Arma2 Dedicated, but I've got some experience with Linux.

Fresh install + patched 1.05 install on Windows copied on a Debian Lenny server.

./install was OK (lower case done)

The arma2.cfg and server.cfg was filled by wiki examples : the server runs, is visible, but can't start a mission, and added mpmissions in the same named folder doesn't appear in the mission list (lower case also done).

Server name is : ## Arma 2 : Plam Panzer server ##

Contact me if you want the admin password to test to start a mission.

Log says :

* when user connect to the server :

String id -1 is not registered

* when I want to start a mission :

File Dialogs\RecruitSoldierDialog.hpp, line 32: '/RAI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/RAI9_Background.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\RecruitSoldierDialog.hpp, line 41: '/RAI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/RAI9_Frame.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 32: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Background.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 41: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Frame.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\RecruitSoldierDialog.hpp, line 32: '/RAI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/RAI9_Background.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\RecruitSoldierDialog.hpp, line 41: '/RAI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/RAI9_Frame.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 32: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Background.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 41: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Frame.h': Missing ';' at the end of line

Thanks for the help !

Edit : Ok now added missions are visible, but still no briefing, returning immediately to mission selection.

Edited by Plam

Edit : Ok now added missions are visible, but still no briefing, returning immediately to mission selection.
It sounds like addon dependency. If you try to start a mission that uses addons which aren't present (or loaded) on your server, you'll return to the mission selection straight away.

Try loading up the vanilla BIS missions to see if that works.

It sounds like addon dependency. If you try to start a mission that uses addons which aren't present (or loaded) on your server, you'll return to the mission selection straight away.

Try loading up the vanilla BIS missions to see if that works.

It doesn't work with any missions, also vanilla BIS missions (tested all of them : same).

Check the file ownership *and* permissions for all files in the directory where the ArmA II server is installed. Then do the same for the directory where the the server is (aka "./") Maybe some of them are owned by root or another user than the one running the server process?

Show us the log output from when the server starts. Stop the server, then remove the file "log.2302.txt" and then launch the ArmA II server again. Wait a moment, then copy&paste the log contents into a message here. (If there is a lot of text, google for a so-called pastebin, post the log output there instead and tell us the URL to that pastebin entry.

* when I want to start a mission :

Those errors are due to slightly broken files within a mission - there are syntax error in several .hpp files.
It doesn't work with any missions, also vanilla BIS missions (tested all of them : same).
If you can't launch the stock BIS missions, the server simply isn't setup correctly. Edited by Killswitch

Check the file ownership *and* permissions for all files in the directory where the ArmA II server is installed. Then do the same for the directory where the the server is (aka "./") Maybe some of them are owned by root or another user than the one running the server process?

Show us the log output from when the server starts. Stop the server, then remove the file "log.2302.txt" and then launch the ArmA II server again. Wait a moment, then copy&paste the log contents into a message here. (If there is a lot of text, google for a so-called pastebin, post the log output there instead and tell us the URL to that pastebin entry.

Those errors are due to slightly broken files within a mission - there are syntax error in several .hpp files.

If you can't launch the stock BIS missions, the server simply isn't setup correctly.

1) Permissions : checked again and again (I'm not a beginner with linux permissions). Furthermore, it's quite simple (one user, no acl's). Checked with root user too. Same.

2) I know pastbin ;) Here the full output :

http://pastebin.com/f1afe620f

3) md5sum is correct for the dedicated tar.bz2

4) instead re-uploading on my slow ADSL connection whole arma2 dir (20h last time :/ ), is there another way to get it faster ? Like valve does for its Linux dedicated ?

5) I'm on a Debian 64bits, should I try on 32bits ?

Thanks.

Judging from the pastebin output, the original pbos aren't read (fully). Did you upload and lowercase the addons and dta folders?

Judging from the pastebin output, the original pbos aren't read (fully). Did you upload and lowercase the addons and dta folders?

In addons :

$ ls

a10.pbo missions.pbo.bi.bisign

a10.pbo.bi.bisign modules.pbo

ah64.pbo modules.pbo.bi.bisign

ah64.pbo.bi.bisign mpmissions

air2.pbo music.pbo

air2.pbo.bi.bisign music.pbo.bi.bisign

air3.pbo plants2_bush.pbo

air3.pbo.bi.bisign plants2_bush.pbo.bi.bisign

air.pbo plants2_clutter.pbo

air.pbo.bi.bisign plants2_clutter.pbo.bi.bisign

animals2.pbo plants2_misc.pbo

animals2.pbo.bi.bisign plants2_misc.pbo.bi.bisign

animals.pbo plants2_plant.pbo

animals.pbo.bi.bisign plants2_plant.pbo.bi.bisign

anims.pbo plants2_tree.pbo

anims.pbo.bi.bisign plants2_tree.pbo.bi.bisign

arma@188.40.95.189 product.bin

autorun.dat roads2.pbo

bin.pbo roads2.pbo.bi.bisign

bin.pbo.bi.bisign rocks2.pbo

buildings2_ind_cementworks.pbo rocks2.pbo.bi.bisign

buildings2_ind_cementworks.pbo.bi.bisign server

buildings2.pbo setup.crc

buildings2.pbo.bi.bisign setup.dat

buildings.pbo signs2.pbo

buildings.pbo.bi.bisign signs2.pbo.bi.bisign

ca.pbo soundmissions.pbo

ca.pbo.bi.bisign soundmissions.pbo.bi.bisign

characters2.pbo sounds.pbo

characters2.pbo.bi.bisign sounds.pbo.bi.bisign

characters.pbo structures.pbo

characters.pbo.bi.bisign structures.pbo.bi.bisign

chernarus_data_layers.pbo tolower

chernarus_data_layers.pbo.bi.bisign tracked2.pbo

chernarus_data.pbo tracked2.pbo.bi.bisign

chernarus_data.pbo.bi.bisign tracked.pbo

chernarus.pbo tracked.pbo.bi.bisign

chernarus.pbo.bi.bisign uifonts.pbo

core.pbo uifonts.pbo.bi.bisign

core.pbo.bi.bisign ui.pbo

dubbing.pbo ui.pbo.bi.bisign

dubbing.pbo.bi.bisign utes.pbo

editor.pbo utes.pbo.bi.bisign

editor.pbo.bi.bisign warfare2.pbo

languagecore.pbo warfare2.pbo.bi.bisign

languagecore.pbo.bi.bisign water2.pbo

languagemissions.pbo water2.pbo.bi.bisign

languagemissions.pbo.bi.bisign water.pbo

language.pbo water.pbo.bi.bisign

language.pbo.bi.bisign weapons2.pbo

license weapons2.pbo.bi.bisign

misc2.pbo weapons.pbo

misc2.pbo.bi.bisign weapons.pbo.bi.bisign

misc3.pbo wheeled2.pbo

misc3.pbo.bi.bisign wheeled2.pbo.bi.bisign

misc.pbo wheeled3.pbo

misc.pbo.bi.bisign wheeled3.pbo.bi.bisign

missions_ew.pbo wheeled.pbo

missions_ew.pbo.bi.bisign wheeled.pbo.bi.bisign

missions.pbo

dta :

$ ls

bin.pbo core.pbo languagecore.pbo product.bin

bin.pbo.bi.bisign core.pbo.bi.bisign languagecore.pbo.bi.bisign

Lowercase is OK :

$ ./install

ArmA 2 Linux Dedicated Server 1.04

Converting ArmA 2 directory:

No file-names were converted

ArmA 2 server was installed.

You have several files and/or directories in the "addons" directory that shouldn't be there -

arma@188.40.95.189
autorun.dat
bin.pbo
bin.pbo.bi.bisign
core.pbo
core.pbo.bi.bisign
languagecore.pbo
languagecore.pbo.bi.bisign
license
mpmissions
product.bin
server
setup.crc
setup.dat
tolower

Remove them and try again. There should be 104 files in the addons directory (ArmA II 1.05))

2) I know pastbin Here the full output :

http://pastebin.com/f1afe620f

Ok, that log output shows two things:

• (Lines 2-13) That the arma2.cfg file can't be read, is empty or is malformed. Remove whatever arma2.cfg you have there and just launch the server executable once. That will recreate a "clean" arma2.cfg file.
  • That something is very wrong with the core addons. This is most likely due to the extra files in the addons directory (specifically, the bin.pbo, core.pbo, languagecore.pbo and product.bin files, which should not be in there at all).

4) instead re-uploading on my slow ADSL connection whole arma2 dir (20h last time :/ ), is there another way to get it faster ? Like valve does for its Linux dedicated ?
If you have a Linux installation at home(*) and SSH access to the server, prepare a server installation at home, verify that it's working and then use rsync to synchronise the folders on the local installation with that on the server. Make sure to use the -z (--compress) option with rsync. Example:

$ rsync -avz -e ssh --delete /path/to/local/arma2/addons remoteuser@remote.host.net:/path/to/remote/arma2/addons

5) I'm on a Debian 64bits, should I try on 32bits ?
No, a 64-bit Debian is fine. When the server does work, a fresh "log.2302.txt" should look like this (1.05 Linux dedi used):

WATCHDOG (29184): [Thu Dec 31 12:28:07 CET 2009] Starting server (port 2302)...
12:28:17 Dedicated host created.
12:28:18 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.071)
12:28:18 Host identity created.

Good luck! :)

(*) You can do this from Windows aswell - there are ports of rsync and ssh that run in Windows (Cygwin). Make copies of the addons and dta folders in your ArmA 2 installation, then convert the filenames of the copied files to lowercase (can this be scripted?) and finally use rsync from Windows to the Linux server.

Edited by Killswitch
Added rsync invocation example

You have several files and/or directories in the "addons" directory that shouldn't be there -

arma@188.40.95.189
autorun.dat
bin.pbo
bin.pbo.bi.bisign
core.pbo
core.pbo.bi.bisign
languagecore.pbo
languagecore.pbo.bi.bisign
license
mpmissions
product.bin
server
setup.crc
setup.dat
tolower

Remove them and try again. There should be 104 files in the addons directory (ArmA II 1.05))

Ok, that log output shows two things:

• (Lines 2-13) That the arma2.cfg file can't be read, is empty or is malformed. Remove whatever arma2.cfg you have there and just launch the server executable once. That will recreate a "clean" arma2.cfg file.
  • That something is very wrong with the core addons. This is most likely due to the extra files in the addons directory (specifically, the bin.pbo, core.pbo, languagecore.pbo and product.bin files, which should not be in there at all).

If you have a Linux installation at home(*) and SSH access to the server, prepare a server installation at home, verify that it's working and then use rsync to synchronise the folders on the local installation with that on the server. Make sure to use the -z (--compress) option with rsync. Example:

$ rsync -avz -e ssh --delete /path/to/local/arma2/addons remoteuser@remote.host.net:/path/to/remote/arma2/addons

No, a 64-bit Debian is fine. When the server does work, a fresh "log.2302.txt" should look like this (1.05 Linux dedi used):

WATCHDOG (29184): [Thu Dec 31 12:28:07 CET 2009] Starting server (port 2302)...
12:28:17 Dedicated host created.
12:28:18 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.071)
12:28:18 Host identity created.

(*) You can do this from Windows aswell - there are ports of rsync and ssh that run in Windows (Cygwin). Make copies of the addons and dta folders in your ArmA 2 installation, then convert the filenames of the copied files to lowercase (can this be scripted?) and finally use rsync from Windows to the Linux server.

So, thanks for the advices.

1) extra files was removed

2) new arma2.cfg was auto created

3) I was previously use rsync already to synchronize with my local folder (I spent more time on Linux than Window ;) ).

4) Same errors :

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 32: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Background.$

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 41: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Frame.h': M$

12:23:06

I will retry a full rsync in the afternoon

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Ok, so I'll reboot on my Linux system and make a copy of addon in the ntfs partition + start install script locally, in order to lowercase exactly like on the server.

Then I'll redo a rsync.

So, thanks for the advices.

1) extra files was removed

2) new arma2.cfg was auto created

3) I was previously use rsync already to synchronize with my local folder (I spent more time on Linux than Window ;) ).

Excellent - then I suggest you work on your own machine until you can get the Linux ArmA II server to start without errors there. Then you'll have a "known good" setup to compare with.

4) Same errors :

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 32: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Background.$

File Dialogs\Support.hpp, line 41: '/SPI9_RecruitSoldierDialog/SPI9_Frame.h': M$

The errors in red are errors in one of the missions and they need to be fixed - I recommend you remove all missions from the mpmissions folder on the server and only test with the stock BIS multiplayer missions. Once you have the server configured and working properly, you can add the third-party misssions to the mpmissions folder again.

Excellent - then I suggest you work on your own machine until you can get the Linux ArmA II server to start without errors there. Then you'll have a "known good" setup to compare with.

The errors in red are errors in one of the missions and they need to be fixed - I recommend you remove all missions from the mpmissions folder on the server and only test with the stock BIS multiplayer missions. Once you have the server configured and working properly, you can add the third-party misssions to the mpmissions folder again.

Finally IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the steps :

- install a proper Arma2 on you windows box

- reboot on you Linux system

- make a local copy on the bohemia folder, name it for example "server"

- untar the dedicated tools 1.05

- ./install

- start the server just with './server'

- check the logs (log.2302.txt)

- kill the server

Full rsync to you server, try just a ./server and same.

Think problems were :

- quite a messy tree (dta not completed, addons with too much files) : no explicit tree a bohemia wiki : need fix.

- BUT ALMOST, think to kill the server before think it doesn't work yet (htop shows a watchdog running, which inhibit refreshing new rsynced files).

Perfs are very pleasant, 43fps with monitor !

Thanks everyone for the help :)

I seem to be having the same issues here but there is something else bothering me before I even go into that.

http://www.arma2.com/supply/all-downloads/file/226-arma2server-1-05-62021-tar.html?lang=en

Quite clearly the page and download file name state "File: ARMA 2 1.05.62021 Linux Standalone Server"

However, just below that heading name it states :

Uploaded:2009.12.22

Modified:2009.12.22

File Size:5 MB

Downloads:420

Version1.05.62021

ArmA 2 - Linux Standalone Server 1.04

Then, when you run the ./install command I get this:

-sh-3.2$ ./install

[color="Red"]ArmA 2 Linux Dedicated Server 1.04[/color]
./install: line 7: gcc: command not found
./install: line 8: ./tolower: No such file or directory
-sh-3.2$

Please note the "1.04" which ive highlighted in red... So im kind of worried I have the right file...?

Also, I dont see why im getting the two errors. Ive copied the entire arma2 directory over, lowercased the folder names "addons" and "dta", checked all the permissions. Ive deleted the uppercase folder called "battleye" since it was copied with the Arma2 directly, which gets replaced by a lower case directory of the same name from the dedicated server files.

If I then run the commnd below I get this :

-sh-3.2$ ./server
[color="red"]Cannot open file 'addons\air3.pbo'[/color]
Critical:Destroying running thread!
-sh-3.2$

Which is nuts because the permissions to the directory and files are all correct, and it contains exactly that of my game dir, 104 files, and the filesize of the dir matches my pc game folder.

After looking more closely at my server file in addons, I noticed that only that single file started with an uppercase "A" in "Air2.pbo" along with "Air3.pbo.bi.bisign".

Should that be lowercase ? The only files ive renamed are the foldernames "not" any individual files at all. Seems to me that the convertion is not doing all the files?

Any ideas anyone?

Im running FC8 on a box at home to see if I can get this going first.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Anyway, after running the ./server command a few times, I found that there were quite a lot of these files that needed renaming... (changing case)

-sh-3.2$ ./server
Warning Message: No entry '.\ArmA2.cfg.3D_Performance'.
No entry '.\ArmA2.cfg.3D_Performance'.
Warning Message: '/' is not a value
Warning Message: No entry '.\ArmA2.cfg.adapter'.
Warning Message: No entry '.\ArmA2.cfg.Resolution_Bpp'.
[color="Red"]Cannot open file 'addons\chernarus_data_layers.pbo'[/color]
-sh-3.2$ ./server
[color="red"]Cannot open file 'addons\chernarus_data_layers.pbo'[/color]
-sh-3.2$ ./server
[color="red"]Cannot open file 'addons\roads2.pbo'[/color]
-sh-3.2$ ./server
[color="red"]Cannot open file 'addons\uifonts.pbo'[/color]
-sh-3.2$ ./server
11:57:29 Dedicated host created.
11:57:31 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.069)
11:57:31 Host identity created.
[color="Red"]ArmA 2 Console version 1.05 : port 2302 - Sockets[/color]

After which, I eventually got the server running... ( note, it changed at the end to 1.05 ? )

This kind of thing does confuse me.... :S

So in summary, I had to change these files Ive highlighed in read.

So, when I now start the server, the log file shows this...

WATCHDOG (11041): [Mon Jan  4 12:31:11 GMT 2010] Starting server (port 2302)...
12:31:16 Dedicated host created.
12:31:17 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.069)
12:31:17 Host identity created.

Is this ok?

Assuming the above is ok, then I hope if anyone else has this issue, it might help you.

Any help would be so much appreciated in explaining what I might of done wrong (which I dont think I have ? )

Thanks everyone.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd

One thing to keep in mind, not sure whether it's relevant to your problem or not (probably not), but only Windows uses \ slashes for directory separators. In POSIX OS's that is read as an escape character.

Unix systems directory slashes are always /slashes.

Edited by Bob.Dob

I seem to be having the same issues here but there is something else bothering me before I even go into that.

http://www.arma2.com/supply/all-downloads/file/226-arma2server-1-05-62021-tar.html?lang=en

Quite clearly the page and download file name state "File: ARMA 2 1.05.62021 Linux Standalone Server"

However, just below that heading name it states :

Uploaded:2009.12.22

Modified:2009.12.22

File Size:5 MB

Downloads:420

Version1.05.62021

ArmA 2 - Linux Standalone Server 1.04

That's an error on that web page. The file you download is arma2server-1.05.62021.tar.bz2 which contains the 1.05 server.
Then, when you run the ./install command I get this:

-sh-3.2$ ./install

[color="Red"]ArmA 2 Linux Dedicated Server 1.04[/color]
./install: line 7: gcc: command not found
./install: line 8: ./tolower: No such file or directory
-sh-3.2$

Please note the "1.04" which ive highlighted in red... So im kind of worried I have the right file...?

BIS has forgotten to update the install shell script with the new version number. Don't worry.
Also, I dont see why im getting the two errors.
Have a look at the readme.txt. The very first step in the installation instructions. It says this:
1. Following programs must have been installed on your Linux-box:

tar, gcc.

You get those two errors because you don't have gcc installed on your machine. Do that. Install gcc:

# yum install gcc

Ive copied the entire arma2 directory over, lowercased the folder names "addons" and "dta", checked all the permissions. Ive deleted the uppercase folder called "battleye" since it was copied with the Arma2 directly, which gets replaced by a lower case directory of the same name from the dedicated server files.

If I then run the commnd below I get this :

-sh-3.2$ ./server
[color="red"]Cannot open file 'addons\air3.pbo'[/color]
-sh-3.2$

Which is nuts because the permissions to the directory and files are all correct, and it contains exactly that of my game dir, 104 files, and the filesize of the dir matches my pc game folder.

After looking more closely at my server file in addons, I noticed that only that single file started with an uppercase "A" in "Air2.pbo" along with "Air3.pbo.bi.bisign".

Should that be lowercase ? The only files ive renamed are the foldernames "not" any individual files at all. Seems to me that the convertion is not doing all the files?

Any ideas anyone?

Yes. Since you didn't install gcc, the install script was unable to compile the tolower program, which the script needs to convert all the file names to have lowercase letters.

Any help would be so much appreciated in explaining what I might of done wrong (which I dont think I have ? )

You failed to follow step 1 of the installation instructions, which then led to the problems you've had. Try it again once you've got the gcc compiler installed.
So, when I now start the server, the log file shows this...

WATCHDOG (11041): [Mon Jan  4 12:31:11 GMT 2010] Starting server (port 2302)...
12:31:16 Dedicated host created.
12:31:17 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.069)
12:31:17 Host identity created.

Is this ok?

Yes, that's the output you see normally.

Edited by Killswitch

I cant thank you enough mate for your reply.

However, I didnt install GCC which you rightly pointed out, but as I managed to get the server going, after I renamed the files, I uploaded all the files to my remote server.

Is what ive done all thats needed, or do I need to run the ./server

again to run the script, is that all the script does, rename the files, or is there other stuff that needs to be done?

I just dont want to have to upload the server again will all 8 gig.

Once again, thats for yoru help though, I just missed that GCC. :(

I cant thank you enough mate for your reply.

However, I didnt install GCC which you rightly pointed out, but as I managed to get the server going, after I renamed the files, I uploaded all the files to my remote server.

Is what ive done all thats needed, or do I need to run the ./server

again to run the script, is that all the script does, rename the files, or is there other stuff that needs to be done?

Have a look at the install script - it t does a few other minor things aswell, but if you've changed all file names to lowercase, you're good to go. The install script will

1. Compile tolower.c into the tolower tool.
  2. Run tolower and convert all filenames.
  3. Sets some file permissions
  4. Removes Windows-specific files (DLL, EXE, CHM) and removes the tolower.o object code file [an intermediate file created during compilation]

I just don't want to have to upload the server again will all 8 gig.

Once again, thats for your help though, I just missed that GCC. :(

No, there's no need to re-upload all those files - judging from the server log, you managed to get it working in the end. Glad to see you got it going! :)

Thanks Killerswitch,

Very helpfull and constructive replies. I should of looked at the script file myself, but wasnt at home when I did my reply.

Again, much appreciated. :)

Hi again.

I thought I was sorted, but was premature in my last reply.

I got my server running on my Fedora Core 8 Box at home, and whilst was posting here, was uploading to my remote Cent 5.3 Dedicated Server.

Since I got my server box at home running ok, I thought all would be ok on my remote server, but thats not the case. :(

I have the ./install all ok, and have run the ./arma2server check as well, and thats all in order. I can also start my server with no problems.

The problem is I can join the server but when I then click "OK" in the "Multiplayer" screen ( and log in as admin, which is all fine) it then states "waiting for host" then after a few seconds states "Session Lost".

This is my server.cfg

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "Arma2 UK Server";    // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = "";                                     // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "password";                     // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com";       // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server
//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";       // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers
logFile = "server_console.log";                    // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
       "", "", "",
       "Arma2 UK Server",
       "Server Settings: Veteran, Crosshair = off, 3rdPerson = off, MapInfo = off, VoN = off, CustomFiles = 200KByte, Voting = 33%, PersistentMaps = on",
       "We are looking for fun - Join us Now !",
       "http://www.",
       "",
       "",
       ""
};
motdInterval = 5;                 // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};                // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 30;                  // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 1;                // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 1;             // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on
equalModRequired = 0;             // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;           // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 0.33;             // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 1;                   // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 0;              // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent = 1;                   // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";             // self-explaining
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "";
regularCheck = "";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected
onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
BattlEye = 1; //Server to use BattlEye system

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions
{
class DM_Deathmatch				// name for the mission, can be anything
{
	template = "MP_Deathmatch.Chernarus";	// omit the .pbo suffix
	difficulty = "regular";			// difficulty: recruit, regular, veteran & expert as specified in *.Arma2profile
	paramsArray = [4,0,7,0,0,1,0,2];
};
};

This is my logfile:

WATCHDOG (3276): [Thu Jan  7 20:27:56 GMT 2010] Starting server (port 2302)...
20:28:02 Dedicated host created.
20:28:03 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.071)
20:28:03 Host identity created.
ArmA 2 Console version 1.05 : port 2302 - Sockets
20:28:50 Player Floyd connecting.
01: Deathmatch: string @str_mpdeathmatch_subname cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable
Server error: Player without identity Floyd (id 9999999999)
20:28:54 Player Floyd connected (id=999999).
20:29:22 Admin Floyd logged in.
01: Deathmatch: string @str_mpdeathmatch_subname cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable
20:29:49 Roles assigned.
20:29:49 Reading mission ...
Warning: preNLOD format in object ca\buildings\kulna.p3d

TBH, I dont really understand why all the missions could not be included in a master server.cfg which comes with the dedicated server files, so its all there and we can take out what we dont want. :S

All my files match the server, so not sure what else it can be.

addons= 104 files 8,840,778,016 bytes

battleye = 1 file 97497 bytes

dta = 7 files 11,014,320 bytes

keys = 1 file 155 bytes

missions = 1 file 14 bytes

mpmissions = 1 file 10 bytes

player = 1 file 180 bytes

Each time It crashes, I end up with a huge "core.3444" file ( the .3444 number changes each time it crashes ) which is about 180 meg which is left in the root ( not root as in user) of the server (user) home. :S ( I dont have an arma2 directory, it all sits in the home folder of the user ). - I doubt that is the cause is it?

If anyone has any ideas it would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Floyd

This is my logfile:
WATCHDOG (3276): [Thu Jan 7 20:27:56 GMT 2010] Starting server (port 2302)...

Warning: preNLOD format in object ca\buildings\kulna.p3d

The thing in red may indicate that one or more of the addons were corrupted during the transfer. How did you transfer the files to the server? If you were using the FileZilla FTP client, here's a tip - make sure to check the Transfer->Transfer type menu and set it to Binary (The "Auto" setting has a way of failing, corrupting transfers).
TBH, I dont really understand why all the missions could not be included in a master server.cfg which comes with the dedicated server files, so its all there and we can take out what we dont want. :S
yep, that would be very nice. There's a complete class Missions for the server.cfg at the BIS wiki now: here

All my files match the server, so not sure what else it can be.

addons= 104 files 8,840,778,016 bytes

battleye = 1 file 97497 bytes

dta = 7 files 11,014,320 bytes

keys = 1 file 155 bytes

missions = 1 file 14 bytes

mpmissions = 1 file 10 bytes

player = 1 file 180 bytes

My addons folder (1.05 ArmA II with the Eagle Wing campaign hotfix applied) is 8 840 778 390 bytes in size. On the Linux server, using du, I get the same result (Actually, du will add the size of the "." directory entry, making the sum 4096 bytes larger.)

du -b --max-depth=1|grep "./addons"
8840782486      ./addons

(8840782486 - 4096 yields 8840778390, which is the same as my Windows installation Addons folder size.)

Each time It crashes, I end up with a huge "core.3444" file ( the .3444 number changes each time it crashes ) which is about 180 meg which is left in the root ( not root as in user) of the server (user) home. :S ( I dont have an arma2 directory, it all sits in the home folder of the user ). - I doubt that is the cause is it?
The core.xxxx file is a core dump, which is written by the system when the server crashes. The number is the process ID the server had when the crash occured. You can safely remove these files.
If anyone has any ideas it would be great.
Only two, as above:

• Compare sizes of the addons folder with your Windows installation
  • Make sure the files weren't corrupted during transfer. If you have applied the EW hotfix, you can use this MD5 checksum file for the addons folder: here.

Perform the MD5 check from the server root (user home in your case):

md5sum --check addons-105-ewhotfix.md5sum

PS. CentOS 5.3? That's at 5.4 now. In the name of security, do a "yum update" ASAP :)

Edited by Killswitch

Hi again.

This is my server.cfg

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "Arma2 UK Server";    // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = "";                                     // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "password";                     // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com";       // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server
//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";       // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers
logFile = "server_console.log";                    // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
       "", "", "",
       "Arma2 UK Server",
       "Server Settings: Veteran, Crosshair = off, 3rdPerson = off, MapInfo = off, VoN = off, CustomFiles = 200KByte, Voting = 33%, PersistentMaps = on",
       "We are looking for fun - Join us Now !",
       "http://www.",
       "",
       "",
       ""
};
motdInterval = 5;                 // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};                // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 30;                  // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 1;                // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 1;             // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on
equalModRequired = 0;             // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;           // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 0.33;             // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 1;                   // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 0;              // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent = 1;                   // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";             // self-explaining
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "";
regularCheck = "";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected
onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
BattlEye = 1; //Server to use BattlEye system

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions
{
class DM_Deathmatch				// name for the mission, can be anything
{
	template = "MP_Deathmatch.Chernarus";	// omit the .pbo suffix
	difficulty = "regular";			// difficulty: recruit, regular, veteran & expert as specified in *.Arma2profile
	paramsArray = [4,0,7,0,0,1,0,2];
};
};

i think change this:

//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server <= ARmA 1

reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers <= ARmA 2

Edited by scale

Hi Scale,

i think change this:

//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server <= ARmA 1

reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers <= ARmA 2

Firstly, thanks for that. I REALLY wish they would keep the config examples separate for each arma edition. :(

Anyway, I will change that but dont think it will solve my issue. - Appreciate that tho mate.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

HI Killerswitch, thank for your reply.

The thing in red may indicate that one or more of the addons were corrupted during the transfer. How did you transfer the files to the server? If you were using the FileZilla FTP client, here's a tip - make sure to check the Transfer->Transfer type menu and set it to Binary (The "Auto" setting has a way of failing, corrupting transfers).

Now that really upset me... lol

I have spent 2.5 days uploading and fear that it might be exactly that. :(

HOWEVER with regards to my addons folder and file sizes, ( addons= 104 files 8,840,778,016 bytes ) matches both my game, my linux gameserver at home and the remote linux gameserver which im having issues with.

I can join and start a mission and play on my home linux gameserver (fedora core 8 ), so I think my files sizes are fine, but I dont have the hot fix installed on anything yet. ( It would be nice if someone can verify my file size with just a vanilla 1.5 install? ) So I am thinking its probably a corrupt upload to my remote server, but its a case now working out which one..... FFS :(

yep, that would be very nice. There's a complete class Missions for the server.cfg at the BIS wiki now: here

Yea, but what I was getting at is why not have the missions already in the same example , rather than having to "interviene" with the server.cfg at all... ( not that im blaming you at all, but it just seems daft to me and adds to more confusion... )

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Only two, as above:

• Compare sizes of the addons folder with your Windows installation
  • Make sure the files weren't corrupted during transfer. If you have applied the EW hotfix, you can use this MD5 checksum file for the addons folder: here.

Perform the MD5 check from the server root (user home in your case):

md5sum --check addons-105-ewhotfix.md5sum

Yea I guess I will have to try that, but find it odd I can join my remote server properly, just cant start a mission. That could be due to the upload "binary" setting as we have discussed, so will have to see. My entire game is all done from a retail DVD, so im not on steam for this game so it should not of updated it, incase you might think I had different versions.

Is this fix downloadable for steam users? I just ask as my friends have the steam version and I am wondering if I need to do the patch or if we can all join in vanilla 1.5 ?

PS. CentOS 5.3? That's at 5.4 now. In the name of security, do a "yum update" ASAP :)

Will do matey .. ;)

Thanks again for your replies...

I will come back with updates how I get on.

Floyd.

Edited by Floyd

HOWEVER with regards to my addons folder and file sizes, ( addons= 104 files 8,840,778,016 bytes ) matches both my game, my linux gameserver at home and the remote linux gameserver which im having issues with.
That's good news. Most likely, the difference we have stems from the Eagle Wing hotfix - you don't have it yet, which would explain the file size difference.
I can join and start a mission and play on my home linux gameserver (fedora core 8 ), so I think my files sizes are fine, but I dont have the hot fix installed on anything yet. ( It would be nice if someone can verify my file size with just a vanilla 1.5 install? ) So I am thinking its probably a corrupt upload to my remote server, but its a case now working out which one..... FFS :(
If you have a local, known good installation, you could use rsync to fix the server's copy of the addons folder. See my post #8 in this thread (on page 1) for an example rsync invocation. If it's only a few of the files that got corrupted, that will save you a lot of time.
Is this fix downloadable for steam users? I just ask as my friends have the steam version and I am wondering if I need to do the patch or if we can all join in vanilla 1.5 ?
I don't think it is. The hotfix is simply an archive with two files that you extract into the Addons folder, overwriting the old ones.

Thanks again Killerswitch.

Not ever used rsync ever... so will re-check your thread post on it.... im in the process of uploading some of the "bigger" files again in binary mode whilst im at work and dont need my connection, and hopefully across the weekend be able to test out my server and see were the issue lies, perhaps with rsync.

Fingers crossed.

PS, thanks for letting me know about the hotfix/steam update, that had me worried to and thought "oh, not another can of worms to wade through". ;)

Just to let you know, I managed to sort my remote server out. :)

It was, indeed, as you suggested KillerSwitch, to be a corrupt upload file. You couldnt tell tho, as all the files and file sizes matched in everyway. The way I worked it out, was by litterally "googling" the error of the file in the log, and trying to trace it to the right *pbo file. Then uploaded those in the Binary mode you suggested.

It took some time to do but its now working, so I just wanted to pass on my thanks.

I didnt use rsync as per your post, but im not really familiar with it at all, but was going to try itif I still had problems on Saturday.

Thanks again.