Sign in to follow this  
Jackal326

SJB SAS Pack

the units for me miss uk flags on uniforms and desert camo has a weird effect at sun.. for rest its awensome:yay:

^ :butbut: ^

Jackal, SafetyCatch please for the love of God don't put union flags, airborne wings or any sort of badges on these! I don't really like having badges on any units unless they're setobjectexture-able so that I can change them, like on the OFRP and UKF units of old.

I break out in a cold sweat when I hear somebody's started a UKSF addon through fear that they'll end up festooning them with assorted badges like a bloody boyscout. The sight of 'sabre wings' on DPM has been known to make me punch old ladies and small children.

The best thing about these units IMO is how generic they look; I don't even have to think of them as UKSF if I don't want to. Not least, I've waited ages for some multicam units with no flags on them that I can use to stand in for several nations' SF. It's subtle details like the FFD pouches and cut of the bush-hats that make these look authentically British. Please keep them this way!

Edited by da12thMonkey

I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Monkey. In their current setup, the units can pass for a good deal of different scenario setups.

I would go even further and keep their armaments vanilla as well. Not that I don't like the UKF weapons, but not having to include them would make life easier in the cases where those arms are not needed.

Edited by Hund

Not that I don't like the UKF weapons, but not having to include them would make life easier in the cases where those arms are not needed.

No worries, I agree completely that you shouldn't be forced to have our weapons for these. The weapons in our current pack don't really fit the bill for UKSF's SA80s anyway; we haven't included any versions with a Daniel Defense L85 RIS yet - I've got one modeled and mostly textured though (I'm using it to practice texturing at the moment), so one day if Chris is inclined...

Jackal can and will provide some appropriate weaponry himself in future though.

Edited by da12thMonkey

^ :butbut: ^

Jackal, SafetyCatch please for the love of God don't put union flags, airborne wings or any sort of badges on these! I don't really like having badges on any units unless they're setobjectexture-able so that I can change them, like on the OFRP and UKF units of old.

I break out in a cold sweat when I hear somebody's started a UKSF addon through fear that they'll end up festooning them with assorted badges like a bloody boyscout. The sight of 'sabre wings' on DPM has been known to make me punch old ladies and small children.

The best thing about these units IMO is how generic they look; I don't even have to think of them as UKSF if I don't want to. Not least, I've waited ages for some multicam units with no flags on them that I can use to stand in for several nations' SF. It's subtle details like the FFD pouches and cut of the bush-hats that make these look authentically British. Please keep them this way!

^^ What he said.

For the love of all that is holy avoid like the plague Union Flags, SF wings etc. The fact that they look generic is a large part of what makes this pack good.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

No worries, I agree completely that you shouldn't be forced to have our weapons for these. The weapons in our current pack don't really fit the bill for UKSF's SA80s anyway; we haven't included any versions with a Daniel Defense L85 RIS yet - I've got one modeled and mostly textured though (I'm using it to practice texturing at the moment), so one day if Chris is inclined...

Jackal can and will provide some appropriate weaponry himself in future though.

Send Chris a PM reference this Da12th, pretty sure he has one nearly complete already.

@Wire: Early versions of the units featured beards, however, due to the way camo faces and the like work in ArmA2 (being a camo overlay, rather than an actual camo face), they glitched quite badly and either had camo 'under' their beard, over their beard, or a mixture of both (on the same face), which looked, as you can imagine, rather odd. I doubt I'll be including the beards anytime soon unless a work-around can be found.

@Cescollino: Sorry mate, you've been over-ruled by da12thmonkey, Hund, Stand_To and my own judgement there. However, the thought of da12thmonkey punching small children and old women is a huge incentive, its not great enough for me to go against my decision.

As for the weapons, at present the units can keep the vanilla weapons they have, as I've lost all interest in working on the L119A1s etc, but I do plan to finish them eventually - just not anytime soon.

Yo jackal. You know the amazing custom NVGs. Is there any chance to create stowed models of them like where they are flicked up on the hinge, as glasses types. So you could have them flicked up on your units and since glasses disappear when you put on nvgs. They would then be replaced with the model over the eyes if NVGs are on.

Maybe not on the patrol units. But on the assault units maybe.

Just a suggestion man.

I had considered that, I may add it at a later date, but probably not in v1.02. It can be something for me to work on after I've released v1.02 where I'll (hopefully) be at a bit of a loose end.

As for the weapons, at present the units can keep the vanilla weapons they have, as I've lost all interest in working on the L119A1s etc, but I do plan to finish them eventually - just not anytime soon.

Well you know.. If I had moneyz, I would bribe you to make them faster if I could.. but I don't :(

I can make sounds however ! But I guess thats not really a bribe :(

Oh well, I'm outta ideas...

I can tell you that I used to use your weapons back in OFP with blackbloods units (nice big bergens...) :)

Wow, I can't even manage to flatter someone..I better leave it, before it gets worse..... :j:

Edited by Mark XIII
for comedic value

Great units, love them!

Any chance of seeing them in the new MTP camouflage pattern?

Has it even begun to be fielded yet? You already have Multicam for the SFSG personnel so... I don't see there being that much point.

Has it even begun to be fielded yet? You already have Multicam for the SFSG personnel so... I don't see there being that much point.

Its beginning to be officially used now and will be gradually intorudced to units in the field and then once that is complete units back at home.

But UKSF have been using it long before that.

Great units, love them!

Any chance of seeing them in the new MTP camouflage pattern?

I highly doubt there will be any unit-type additions to the pack. The only things I plan on adding in the future are the NVGs in the 'up' position defined as glasses (posted about on a previous page), and at some point in the distant future the weapons for the units to use. Aside from those additions, and barring any further issues arising after the release of v1.02, I consider the units pretty much final.

Can u create a module that can be dropped on the map, so as to force all units to remove camo and have beards, or have no beards and hav camo instead? :)

like that unit addon ages ago for Operation flashpoint and the SAS, where u can create game logic modules on the map to force the units to either have bergens or not or all to have sunglasses or not etc etc.

Dw if its too much of a hastle too. It would only appeal to ppl like me that hate seeing cleanly shaven teenage boy faces that are meant to be passed as SAS elite operatives.

Thanks again for this amazing pack, Jackal! Easily my favourite unit addon for A2.

Btw, if some of you (especially mission designers) want 'fresh' weapons for these guys until the L119A1s are done , I´d suggest getting the M4 Custom pack by RH. Looks pretty good with the SAS units imo:

33083769.jpg

4dxzdxhyu3v7.jpg

Lots of variety and silenced versions, too

Edited by malibu.stacey

Just to let you guys know, I've just released v1.02 of the SAS Pack. Its available from the first post of this thread. Cheers.

Hehe...going to miss the 'russians'...

Downloading and testing, thanks for the update, Jackal!:)

Sorry, bit of a noob still with Arma2. I've downloaded this and put it in my mods folder where its being found OK by SpiritedMachines' launcher (it appears along with a couple of other mods I'm using). So, I *think* its being loaded by Arma.

I can't find them in the editor though - I've been through every menu when adding a new unit to the map and don't see them. What am I missing? Should unit mods be put in some other folder and not where I've put other stuff, like AI tweaks etc?

This is what Arma's being launched with:

-mod=c:\users\myname\documents\arma 2\mods\cba_v0-2-0\@cba;c:\users\myname\documents\arma 2\mods\warfxparticles1.3\@warfxparticles;c:\users\myname\documents\arma 2\mods\sjb sas v1.02;c:\users\myname\documents\arma 2\mods\@zcommon -nosplash

Edited by iled

They'll be under 'British Special Forces' (and 'British Special Forces (ACE)' when using the extra ACE config) on the BLUFOR side. If you're still having issues, its probably a stupid question, and I apologise if this seems overly patronising, but you have extracted them from the .7z file right?

Thanks for informing us ;)

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

6824225.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=1210][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/6824225.gif][/url]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

[b]ArmedAssault.info Mirror :[/b]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=1210]DOWNLOAD - SJB SAS Pack (v.1.02) - [110 MB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url][/spoiler]

Edited by Old Bear