Sign in to follow this  
will556

Whats Wrong?

hi i run arma 2 on my pc at 200% 3d resolution at 1680 X 1050 ,(anti aliasing, antistropic, post process) are disabled, visibillity at 1000, terrain at low, objects and texture at normal and video memory very high, the game runs at aound 40-50 fps however every 10 ish seconds it drops to around 20fps causing the game to jump quite badly.

This is very annoing and help and advise would be appreciated,

My system:

Intel core 2 quad Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz

4gb ram

Ati XFX HD5850 1gb

550w corsair power supply

Vista 32 bit home premium

Dell xps 420

Are you running it in windowed mode? That can sometimes cause the jumping effect for me.

could you explain how the hardrive is the problem, i personally think it is the proccessor

Turn 3d res to 100%, and notch a few other settings up a little. Make your view distance at least 2000.

Then do a defrag!

could you explain how the hardrive is the problem, i personally think it is the proccessor

Those fps drops could be because your HDD need to get defragged.

I would also say having 3D Resolution on 200% is a little too optimistic considering your specs, try 100%.

Well if You know what is the problem, why asking.

The processor is fine, though you could OC it a little. Also, try defragging and lowering 3D resolution until you get enough FPS (Id say 150% should do it, but try step by step)

I don't understand why you would turn almost everything completely down and simply max out the 3d resolution? Like others said, I would start with checking how it runs with 100% and go from there. Defragging your harddrive isn't a bad idea either. How much cache does your harddrive have (don't know if that matters a lot though)?

Edited by zoog

hi i run arma 2 on my pc at 200% 3d resolution

This is your problem. Run at 100% as several people have said. 200% is extremelly heavy. 100% of that and AA instead. AA and 3D render makes no sense since its the same thing even though the latter gives better quality since AA has artifacts so far.

thats what i first though but when i lower fill rate or other settings the fps dont change, the only thing which makes a difference is vis, but i still get a sudden drop in fps every 10 ish seconds, (unfortunatly dell's motherboard locks you from overclocking the proccessor), i have noticed the when the sudden change in fps takes place the hardrive light is on, and on return to normal fps it is off or flickering, (definatly going to defrag), sometimes at night the light is on constantly and the hardrive is making a rather loud noise, anyone know what could be going on there

definitely defrag and drop the 3D resolution...

wow i defragged my machine last week with the vista defrag, just downloaded smart defrag from download.com and i have over 6000 fragmented files estimated defrag time is 5 hours ( Vista defrag not good)

Suggestion - if using the HD as a page file, make both the min and max the same setting (4096 is a good setting)

It is my experience to cut the hard drive out of the page file business (due to massive fragmentation). Use a fast reliable memory card or thumb drive of good quality. Use this as your page file.

This removes the HD from constantly resizing and searching - The memory/thumb drives have no moving parts and are much faster. This works very well for me and has been for several years. Give that HD a break!!