Sign in to follow this  
astral54r

DCS: A-10C Warthog

DCS A10C AVAILABLE FOR £20 ON STEAM UNTIL 11TH

http://store.steampowered.com/app/61010/

This is a must for anyone who enjoys flight sims, and for £20 it's a steal from the retail £35 at launch a few months back.

(Not recommended for those that think Arma 2 is a flight sim - your head may explode)

Edited by rexehuk

DCS A10C AVAILABLE FOR £20 ON STEAM UNTIL 11TH

http://store.steampowered.com/app/61010/

This is a must for anyone who enjoys flight sims, and for £20 it's a steal from the retail £35 at launch a few months back.

(Not recommended for those that think Arma 2 is a flight sim - your head may explode)

You f****** Id***, now i have find a way to affort the rudder pedals for my X52 Pro Flightstick, thank you very much!

Of course just kidding. Just waited for an occasion like this. Would have bought it for full price to support such developers, unluckily i have to prioritize family affairs concerning financial things. :D

Thanks for the link, downloading right now and in ~2 hours flying around a bit...if i manage it to turn the engines on. ;)

Welcome to the A-10C world Myke, you going to enjoy it. I would list 3 points for helping you start out.

1. Patience... Take your time, have a good look at the various guides/youtube tutorials out there. The Eagle forums are very active and much like this community are very good and willing to help out with noob questions (aslong as you search first :p)

2. Spend some time and get a profile for your X52 your going to be happy with. There are a few out there that will be a good base. I would try to keep as much as you can to the actual HOTAS setup used in the real thing. I hav a TM Warthog and you really do need most if not all of the default HOTAS controls to be effective once you start to combine systems and become combat ready. You really need to have the controls in muscle memory so getting a decent profile will be essential. Once you get this sussed you will find operating the avionics a doddle (its just understanding each system that taks the time).

3. Spend your initial days/weeks just learning how the A-10 handles, at diff weights, altittude. Get a good feel and dont worry to much about the bits that go bang for now :) Get to be friends with the Trim, once trimming becomes second nature you will find other aspects later on so much easier.

Guys, serious question:

Is it possible to play this game only with mouse and keyboard? I ask because I can play DCS Black shark fine with them, I don´t have the Space for a Joystick, I simply don´t want to purchase a piece of hardware for only one or two games.

So is this playable with mouse and keyboard only?

Guys, serious question:

Is it possible to play this game only with mouse and keyboard? I ask because I can play DCS Black shark fine with them, I don´t have the Space for a Joystick, I simply don´t want to purchase a piece of hardware for only one or two games.

So is this playable with mouse and keyboard only?

No, it would be almost impossible.

Is it so much more comlicated then DCS Black Shark? :eek:

Well as anything its possible... Although i'd say it would be less desirable to play A10 without a HOTAS of some kind.

Where as the Ka50 has relitively simple systems (compared to the A10) you could prob get away with it.

The problem with the A10 is the entire avionics suite is designed from the ground up to be intergrated and controlled with HOTAS. There are going to be a hell of a lot of key presses you will need to learn just for basic tasks.

On the plus side, having a fixed wing platform added with the trim system you can take a lot of the "manual" flying away, which in the Ka-50 takes up alot of your time just keeping the thing in the air.

I'd say if you are proficient with Ka-50 with the keyboard/mouse combo, then you should be able to do stand off attacks and ccrp drops.

The problem is going to come when you have a lot going on and you really need to be heads up, using muscle memory for the controls rather than heads down looking for the keys.

Well maybe I will take a closer look at this, but I´still occupied with DCS Black shark. Didn´t even finish the campaign yet....

Are there any must have Mods for DCS Black Shark?

It's possible to play with mouse and keyboard but you'll struggle to do things.

Well maybe I will take a closer look at this, but I´still occupied with DCS Black shark. Didn´t even finish the campaign yet....

Are there any must have Mods for DCS Black Shark?

There are some good ones, I use the following:

Shark HD Pit

Road Textures Black v2.0 high resolution

Replacement structure texturepack

KA-50 sounds

Converted Smoketrail mod

Enhanced tooltip visibility

Dragon's Ancient airbase textures

SIMMOD LoReload Terrain mod

I've downloaded the remove cloud shadow mod, but I don't care much for how it removes ALL the cloud shadows, so I just put up with the flickering shadows over distant terrain.

Get ModMan, it's the lockon series mod manager, it'll send you to a page where you can download all of these.

Also, if you have an nvidia card, manually add the .exe for the simulator (Not the .exe that runs the menus) and manually set full anistropic filtering - The default settings did a crappy job for me, everything is MUCH nicer looking with the forced override, especially with the LoReload terrain mod.

Most of these mods have DCS: A10 versions, too, in case anybody was wondering about modding their A10.

Well I have loaded the same mods, exept from SIMMOD LoReload Terrain mod.

I also have External Cockpit Lights and Bloom Clouds.

Mod Man is indeed very usefull

I don't think there's many more good mods besides those. And most of those just tweak small things, so it really speaks to the overall quality of the DCS: Black Shark game out of the box.

Haven't picked up A-10 yet, saving up because I'd like to have that sweet A10 HOTAS when I do get it. Flaming Cliffs 2.0 is taking care of my fixed wing fix for now.