Sign in to follow this  
astral54r

DCS: A-10C Warthog

So here comes my question: Do you seriously need a Joystick to play this? Even in Game Mode?

So here comes my question: Do you seriously need a Joystick to play this? Even in Game Mode?

Only if you want to enjoy it.

Sheesh.

Try the torrent, their servers are overloaded

No joystick, no joy :D

2 hours to go, woohoo !

Edited by Macadam Cow

I hate being late to the party, but the torrent is being nice to me. Averaging around 400kb/s. Not bad considering how long it's been out.

Been on the edge of my seat waiting on all the MP stuff to get sorted. Good stuff :D

Have fun fellas, remember patience is the key. Dont overload yourself just take it step by step.

From an interview with DCS: A-10C Warthog Producer Matt Wagner

Voodoo Extreme: As I understand it DCS: A-10C Warthog is really a consumer version of a military training simulation. Let's say the average Joe managed to get a some hands on time through the US military with one of the actual Eagle Dynamics military grade trainers. After having mastered DCS: A-10C Warthog, should our friend Joe be able to jump right in and chew up some bad guys without much direction?

MW: DCS: A-10C Warthog was an outgrowth of the A-10C Desktop Trainer we did for the Air National Guard, U.S. Air Force, and Reserves. Much of the A-10C specific avionics were brought over directly to the DCS A-10C. However, the 6 DOF cockpit, 3D model, flight dynamics, engine, hydraulic, electrical, lighting, emergency, flight control, and fuel systems are all new and much more advanced than the military version. After working on the software A-10C for a couple of years I had the opportunity to sit in the USAF full dome A-10C cockpit simulator. Based on our software, I was able to start up the aircraft, taxi, take off, navigate, kill the target, and land without a problem. I see no reason why one of our DCS: A-10C Warthog customers could not do the same.

:D

If you ever get to sit in an A10 at an airshow, self restraint will take on a whole new meaning :p

X52 Pro already ordered and planning on buying DCS next month as the money comes... ;] Currently got 20% of flight manual behind...

If you ever get to sit in an A10 at an airshow, self restraint will take on a whole new meaning :p

That is why they have armed guards :)

Would like to try this out. A demo would be nice. What hardware do you "need" for this?

1. A good joystick with rudders?

2. Head movement tracking?

3. ?

A joystick with a rudder twist and throttle. (So either standalone rudders or a twist access on the stick itself).

And one with a hat switch to control the view, (or TrackIR headtracking)

That's what I'd recommend for flight sims.

Essentially a decent joystick is quite enough but you can always spend more on sexy extra's and get a lot of extra enjoyment out of them if you do.

I'd say a decent HOTAS would be a good idea, one with a built in twist rudder as mentioned will be ok as you will not need rudder pedals. I would recommend a Saitek X52 the normal versions are alot cheaper now the pro has come out.

TrackIR i would say is a must if you a serious about flight sims, but you can gt along without it at the start.

From what I've read so far in this thread, there are some of you who are already familiar with this sort of simulator by DCS (BS/Warthog).

After watching some videos of 'DCS: A-10C Warthog', I became really interested in it.

Though, there are some questions I have about the whole thing of this simulator (cause I'm completely new to this sort of simulator):

• Does this simulator also has a strong community who creates mods, missions, etc. for it? (Wasn't able to find any big community-fansites, besides the 'User-files'-section on the official page)
  • Does the simulator support any kind of multiplayer (dedicated or private server hosting)?

Thanks in advance for answering these simple, but for me elementary questions :).

From what I've read so far in this thread, there are some of you who are already familiar with this sort of simulator by DCS (BS/Warthog).

After watching some videos of 'DCS: A-10C Warthog', I became really interested in it.

Though, there are some questions I have about the whole thing of this simulator (cause I'm completely new to this sort of simulator):

• Does this simulator also has a strong community who creates mods, missions, etc. for it? (Wasn't able to find any big community-fansites, besides the 'User-files'-section on the official page)
  • Does the simulator support any kind of multiplayer (dedicated or private server hosting)?

Thanks in advance for answering these simple, but for me elementary questions :).

Answers

1. Yes the user files area is where you can find pretty much everything though people post updates on the forums.

2. Yes supports dedicated and private hosting. Though from what I have heard you have to purchase a separate key to be able to run your server to be seen on the ED Net browser.

Wow:

This surprised me, It looks brilliant.

After all the betas and such, how is the optimisation and bugs at the moment? I'm looking into getting this, next month or so. Once I get some money.

Wow:

This surprised me, It looks brilliant.

After all the betas and such, how is the optimisation and bugs at the moment? I'm looking into getting this, next month or so. Once I get some money.

I haven't tried the new patch but I was very disappointed that after all of the "It will be released when its done" bullshit they ended up releasing the game with more bugs then I actually experienced in Beta 1 through 4. However with quick updates they have managed to fix many of the major bugs including an effects.dll error that caused the game to crash when things blew up. You can imagine how much of a hair puller that was in a game where you blow crap up.

There are still some issues with the game such as headings calls for inbound aircraft to airfields ( notably Batumi ). Also wacky things like rolling on mud for 1-5 seconds at a reasonable speed will cause your wheels to blow at 120+ kias. But all in all it is a great game that can leave you with a buzz not experienced since fulda gap scenarios in the 80's.

Does the simulator support any kind of multiplayer (dedicated or private server hosting)?

Justt wanted to add to this question that ED are working on stand alone dedicated server files atm. This should remove the need to have another copy of the game on the host machine.

Justt wanted to add to this question that ED are working on stand alone dedicated server files atm. This should remove the need to have another copy of the game on the host machine.

Aint they been promising one of those since lockon?

Not as far as i know, but i may be mistaken. I would say its a good bet though that we will see them for DCS. My guess is a release when they make BS & A10 compatible.