Sign in to follow this  
st!gar

Missing experiences in Scenario missions.

There has been a lot of talk about bugs and scripting errors in Red Harvest, and although BIS has made a point of trying to fix them as much as possible, It should be mentioned that many, (all?), of the Scenario missions could use a good patch as well. When you play a game, and realize you're not quite sure whether what you just witnessed was a bug or something the programmers intended, I believe it says something about the game. And I leave it up to you to decide for yourselves whether it's good or bad.

Warning - there may be spoilers ahead.

I just played the first Scenario available; "Trial By Fire". A bunch of marines are to clear a tiny, little village followed by a hostile-held airfield, and the mission briefing warns that there may be Chernarussian PoWs about. What usually tends to happen whenever I play through this Scenario, is usually something along the lines of this:

We enter the little village from our LZ on the the beach, and proceed to pew-pew away at the enemies that seem to throw themselves at the village from every direction. At one point, a hostile APC-thingy appears, and a gunship is called in to take it out. With that out of the way, we advance on the airfield, and, from high ground, proceed to take long-range pot-shots at enemies scurrying about. At some point, a friendly mechanized squad just sort of appears somewhere, and reinforces us. Mission Accomplished, Game Over, The End. A moderately decent player could probably mash something like that together in the Editor in about ten minutes.

However, yesterday something happened that I've never experienced in that mission before:

I was hiding from the aforementioned APC-thingy in a house, when there suddenly came a triggered conversation from out of nowhere. I couldn't see who was talking, because I was, like I said, cowering inside someone's house. But as I read the transmitted blue text, I realised that it was me, apparently talking to a rescued PoW about something. He said his name was "Captain Roman something-something", and that there was a bunch of prisoners like him somewhere else. That's pretty much all I can remember. And, I just to make it clear, I was laying, isolated, all alone, inside a house in the village. There were no-one else in the building with me, let alone a Chernarussian escapee.

I'm guessing that this conversation was supposed to take place at another point in the mission - possibly at some other place in the village or maybe near the airfield where the PoWs where said to be held, if I recall correctly. I don't know. Anyways, probably due to some scripting fuck-up, it was now triggered completely out of place.

I've played this mission several times before, and I don't know why I've never encountered this conversation before - I didn't even know I was supposed to. Maybe the mission is bugged, or maybe I have thus far simply not been to the right place at the right time.

My point is; I've been playing this mission several times since the demo, and just now, today, did I realize that all this time, I have apparently not played the mission the way I was "supposed" to. That there are things that I'm intended to experience, but that simply never happens, apparently. And this is only one out of several Scenario missions where I feel the exact same way.

Another example is "Counterattack", where a Russian mechanized infantry unit is to break through a "siege" in progress by the local forces, and link up with a platoon of insurgents dug down in a town. From that point on, the two forces are apparently supposed to launch a counterattack out from said town and sweep away the Chernarussian military.

That, of course, never happens.

I have actually made a separate thread about that particular issue, and so will not go into detail about it here. Suffice to say, everything consistently fucks up in that mission. Cutscenes that appears in some playthroughs and not in others, little story-sequences that doesn't go anywhere and the mission ending abruptly without much explanation as to why, declaring you victorious before you actually fulfill all the objectives. At least for me, that mission is a mess. :hmmm:

So, to sum up, I think the Scenarios could use a good, hard patching. The scripting needs a good tidying up, from what it seems. So my question is - what are your experiences? Are you getting completely different results than me? Are there any things regarding this that people should be made aware of?

*EDIT*

And, yes, I'm using 1.05, and no mods.

Edited by St!gar
Forgot to add something.

I was hiding from the aforementioned APC-thingy in a house, when there suddenly came a triggered conversation from out of nowhere. I couldn't see who was talking, because I was, like I said, cowering inside someone's house. But as I read the transmitted blue text, I realised that it was me, apparently talking to a rescued PoW about something. He said his name was "Captain Roman something-something", and that there was a bunch of prisoners like him somewhere else. That's pretty much all I can remember. And, I just to make it clear, I was laying, isolated, all alone, inside a house in the village. There were no-one else in the building with me, let alone a Chernarussian escapee.

There is a POW in the church ruins in the middle of the town, the conversation triggers when you go there, after that theres more prisoners in one of the hangars in the airport. You have to be fast to get there and save them before all enemies are killed co's the mission will end when all enemies are killed

There is a POW in the church ruins in the middle of the town, the conversation triggers when you go there, after that theres more prisoners in one of the hangars in the airport. You have to be fast to get there and save them before all enemies are killed co's the mission will end when all enemies are killed

Aah. I figured it might have been something like that. Still doesn't explain why the dialogue was triggered while I was nowhere near the church, though. :)

Anyways; this post wasn't really so much about that particular mission as it was about the status of the Scenario missions in general, though. I would really like to hear some of your experiences on the matter.

Oh, I will have to try to find those prisoners. Never did know about them before.