Sign in to follow this  
§nake

Why isn't there a .us?

Was the net born in the states, does .com mean .us??

you see all other foreign countries with their specified domain... what are us yanks special?? It's always seemed a bit ackward to me.. maybe you other pigeon toed computer freaks know?? As I do not... tounge.gif

algore invented the internet and he's an American...although i hate to admit it smile.gif

who knows. we probably have a lot more people on the net

.com means commercial.

There is a .us domain but hardly anyone uses it.

And it was a british chappie working in Geneva who invented the internet. wink.gif

All you people are lying! I INVENTED THE INTERNET but i forgot how to switch it off sad.gif

The Internet as we know it grew out of DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) and the ARPANET.

ARPANET goes back to 1969, long before anyone tinkered with HTML in Geneva...

they are using it only for US Department of Transportation of each states... don't know why the US peoples can't use it.

Actually we had the first "internet" at the National Research Laboratory in 1968. Arpa was more advanced but we got there first. biggrin.gif

And of course WWW was invented by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN.

Berners-Lee came up with the domain name system and the initial HTTP protocol, but built it on top of the existing ARPANET and IP address scheme.

Anyway, the definition of "Internet" and what that encompasses is sufficiently fuzzy that it doesn't warrant getting into a pissing contest over, so I'm going to shut up now. biggrin.gif

There is a .us TLD. The problem is it is horribly mismanaged and it's even harder to get a .us domain name than it is to get a .ca one.

Sometimes I think they decide rules with a dartboard. Or an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters.

Blah.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ACEJim @ April 04 2002,23:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.com means commercial.

There is a .us domain but hardly anyone uses it.

And it was a british chappie working in Geneva who invented the internet. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I was sure it meant communication confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">algore invented the internet and he's an American...although i hate to admit it <span id='postcolor'>

Al Gore is an American? Could have fooled me. tounge.gif

there is .us thingy...but as soon as .org, .net, .com, .edu came along, US ppl ditched .us. It wasn't long ago either. like 8 yrs ago too.

internet, as we know, was product of DARPA, as Mister Frag mentioned. US military needed some method of communication, and had to meet certain criteias(like no centralized server for whole military).

from there, TCP/IP came as one of the protocol. there are other protocols, but TCP/IP became most used(for reason i don't know) the first TCP/IP communication was done by some UCLA guys logging on to Stanford's server.

Public schools in the US (at least all the one's I know of) also use .us extentions (plus a bunch of other pieces, like doe.k12.ms.us). My e-mail address w/ the school is at a '.us' address.