Sign in to follow this  
Fintroll

Six updater, ruining everything.

I had Six-Updater installed for a while after first ACE2 release. But after a recent two hour session just to get the latest ACE2 stuff installed and the program constantly failing for some reason, I decided to move to Yoma. I can now update the most important mods through Yoma using Zeus server as a hook and it works flawlessly :).

For bigger mods that update constantly (like ACE2) Six-Updater has its uses. But like SnR said already it's better to let servers use Six-Updater and let players use Yoma as it's more simple and reliable.

Also a great problem I see with these updater tools is that many servers have different mod folders that sometimes have the same addons in them. For example I already had Podagorsk installed in @Podagorsk-folder but Yoma showed that I have to download it again just to place it in @zcommon. Of course I just ticked Podagorsk off from the list. But once again there are those people who just want to keep their game compatible with the server and download everything again and again.

(If there's a way to tell Yoma 2009 to look in other mod folders, please go ahead and mock me ;).)

Maybe there's a need to make mod folders more universal, something like was done with mission naming back in OFP days.

When everyone just switches tools, instead of reporting their issues, with logs for me to review and do something about it, then it indeed is like that, and won't change until the first user that finally reports it.

Do use what ye feel comfy with, but I can't fix things when they don't get reported.

Big problem. Helping a guy over ts3 in our clan to get his newly installed sixupdater to arma oa/2 to work for him. Every thing loads fine til it comes to the browser window. its nothing showing up, with other words its not loading any thing. No firewall, no antivirus, tryed the

Web-client doesn't start / chcp errors.

Now, what shall we do about this?

I have always disliked programs that install things for me. I would much rather download things as a ZIP file, extract it and copy/paste it myself. I've always considered it lazy when people weren't willing to do something as simple as manually installing an addon or mod folder.

Also, I want to be able to see what got installed and where it got installed to. That way if I dislike something I can remove every single file that came with it. Maybe it's paranoia, but I don't like people putting things on my computer without my knowing about it…