Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

Choice is good but getting everybody setup with the same addons can be a nightmare (however much improved with six-updater). This is where ACE is so strong in that it defines a standard which many (most) people can adhere to. Best mechanism for choice is to include as much as possible but make everything optional so a server-op can decide what they want used on their server but it still only requires clients have the one mod installed.

Choice is good but getting everybody setup with the same addons can be a nightmare (however much improved with six-updater). This is where ACE is so strong in that it defines a standard which many (most) people can adhere to. Best mechanism for choice is to include as much as possible but make everything optional so a server-op can decide what they want used on their server but it still only requires clients have the one mod installed.

Maybe in the future, when the system is more user friendly, more accepted, and used, with the apis opened up, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

A server record already contains required mods attached, and it already is a simple process of selecting such server and hitting execute, getting you up2date/install all the required mods and even joining the server for you.

I'd say that's much better than including everything we can and optioning it all.

Certainly something not feasable up until Yoma / Six Updater, and looking at the planned features and a bright future... I believe we can achieve it actually.

Over at 6thsense we deploy it already with over 12 mods active, for maybe 100 users, and almost every week adding another required, or optional mod.

With users automatically receving the required mods attached to the server, and picking newly added soundmods for instance at their choice.

The portal site already supports "Authorized Mods", which represents the keys authorized on the server, so the client can actually see beforehand if a mod is actually allowed etc.

With systems like the ACE ServerConfig, where you can define which addons must be present on clients, while limiting the allowed addons with signature protection,

I'd say we have most if not all bases covered.

Edited by Sickboy

So those of us who are blind can see the bearings on it. :D

Happy New Year folks.

Its to read the direction in milliradians (the outer numbers on the compass) which is used for a majority of direction finding in radio communications.

What about the mods that arent in that list? Theres just a few mods to choose between.

This got lost in all the talking. Anyone?

I'm a recent newbie to ACE having never played it in Arma 1 (although I was a veteran of WGL back in the day), so having just spent some time experimenting with it in Arma 2 I would like to say how amazed I am - it's really something special and a massive achievement for the dev team.

As always with a new starter I have a few quick thoughts/queries:

-I noticed that the main menu screen has no music and, after very briefly flashing up what looks like a man standing on a ship at night, the screen is totally black. Is this intentional?

-In the feature list in the Wiki there is mention of being able to build sandbag fortifications using Shift or Ctrl and the mousewheel. I tried this in game without any luck. Any chance of a bit more detail on how this item is operated?

-Love the way you can deploy a bipod/rest weapons on things. I noticed though that in many cases this doesn't really improve accuracy a great deal. For example with the M240 there doesn't seem to be any difference between firing from prone with or without the bipod deployed. In both cases the weapon is fairly steady and easy to aim. Nothing serious - just an observation.

Once again, many thanks for all your (considerable) efforts on this mod!

Its to read the direction in milliradians (the outer numbers on the compass) which is used for a majority of direction finding in radio communications.

90% of all players can't even read or understand the 360° scale... :confused:

Then it is about time to learn it :)

Xeno

They should get milliradians. Its the same thing, just more of them... :p

If people can't see the milliradians, then hell its time to pick a different game. If people can't understand how to read the milliradians system, either learn or don't use it.

I can't stand how big the compass is and request it to be made either or, and what I mean by this is keep it small, but have the option to expand its size to what this mod has it set as when double clicked on while in map view. Now for the in game compass while in 1st or 3rd person view being so big really hinders my view of the battle, making me less combat efficient. At times I keep my compass on screen to find my bearings when I travel.

If people can't see the milliradians, then hell its time to pick a different game. If people can't understand how to read the milliradians system, either learn or don't use it.

I can't stand how big the compass is and request it to be made either or, and what I mean by this is keep it small, but have the option to expand its size to what this mod has it set as when double clicked on while in map view. Now for the in game compass while in 1st or 3rd person view being so big really hinders my view of the battle, making me less combat efficient. At times I keep my compass on screen to find my bearings when I travel.

You don't fight and shoot with the compass in the face...do you?? I'd like to see that in RL.

The problem with most players is. Most of them have never seen a compass before let alone read a map. Most players depend on the moving "GPS" symbols on the map, making them stupid.

If players ( at least on foot and none GPS map equiped vehicles ) had to fight a warfare with only a map without symbols and the milliradian compass they would be busy with not losing themselves than fighting.

I never had a problem finding a target in game, i could even tell someone where he was after making the person tell me what landmarks he can see and what bearing he should take to get to me.

When playing a cw i tend to tell degrees and distances with the name of the person or location i use as point of reference and not cardinal points because they are not accurate, which is really confusing to my mates although it's easier than "man, close to us, to the north". And the space we are using is not larger than 1km². How difficult can it get when playing a warfare on 225km² with strangers?? :D

You don't fight and shoot with the compass in the face...do you?? I'd like to see that in RL.

Exactly my point, I don't understand why it needs to be so damn big and in my face...

Exactly my point, I don't understand why it needs to be so damn big and in my face...

Watch this two part video, just stumbled upon this. He has it in his face. You can't battle when reading a compass.

Some things that seem to be missing

-AP mines cannot be placed in the editor (would be really cool for missions)

-Cant look down the sights of most mounted machine guns (m2,mk19 ect)

-the abrams doesnt have the m1028 canister round

I had an idea when playing with the yellow tinted shooting glasses. Why not make a black "sunglasses" version and a clear. Maybe make it so lenses can actually be changed in the field. The most common is the ESS ICE system, which I have myself for the range. I find I never use the yellow one, I'm constantly using the clear for indoor shooting and if I was outdoors I would use the black lenses.

Maybe make a few different standard military model sunglasses and goggles. Like you would see typically in the field.

You can't battle when reading a compass.

And yet there are runners who can use compass, use the map, run and compete all at once? Hmm. Must be females since they can do several things at once :)

I have no issues with the size. Some like to take sighted readings just like in the video, even though ingame will show it fully unfolded. On the map you can doubleclick it to make it larger, if you want to place accurate markers.

Also regarding the compass on the map, just drag it off to the side... I mean... thats what you would do in real life.

Also with a lensatic compass you usually hold it up to your eye to sight an object and get a bearing on it. It doesn't look like that in the game obviously, but thats how it is really used in real life. You use the little window on the cover to sight and you look through the little magnifying lens to get the reading. Its a really smart system. Combine that with your map and a general knowledge of land navigation and you don't even need a GPS. I rarely if ever use my GPS just because its quicker to take a scan around me and know my location, pop open my map and go "hey there is this town, thats the tree line and I must be here. If I need a little more clarity I'll resection off of a couple known points and bam there I am.

Suggestion: notice the small medical pouch most units have attached on their tactical vest? Could make one medical pouch like the ruck sack to fit the pistol magazine slot with slots for medical items only. :)

hey i have a problem with the ACEX_PLA. I can find no trace of PLA ingame...where are they supposed to be found?

This is what my target line looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_PLA;@zcommon_ace"

Is this fine or does it need to be before ACEX or what?

There seems to be a problem where you can't select grenades like the M85 or the Flashbangs. When you first kit out they are available but then they become unselectable.

hey arma guys, im trying to instal ace2 mod (full about 500 something mb) and i installed Six-Updater, ran the Six-Updater gui.exe bring up command prompt, updates everything and gets to =>rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://127.0.0.1:1633

then its comes up with on the next line

ERROR:uninitialized constant six.

so could anybody help me out please?

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=1372Untitled.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

above is the error i screenshotted.

thanks for help