Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

I think they should change the holding breath to breathing out as that is the proper marksman principal :)

I second that

have installed ace 2 but it seems impossible to keep up wit the "One shot one kill" moto!

At 600 meters im sure the M24 has rather big dispersion even in real life. To me ACE was also very inaccurate at first but after a lot of practise i dont find it so anymore. Practise practise practise. Also remember shots at that distance hitting non fatal areas will only wound the enemy slightly to medium and thus look like you didnt hit.

Ok i'm happy to report the Hellfire missle fix works, my AI gunner is now hitting targets as he should.

I also noticed on the chopper in your test mission when the gunner is firing the turret the sound of the helicopter itself stops

So you don't hear the blades spinning anymore, i think it happens when you are hearing the effects of the turret rounds hitting the ground

Edited by Sneeper

Also remember shots at that distance hitting non fatal areas will only wound the enemy slightly to medium and thus look like you didnt hit.

Be aware of new A2 "grass" implementation - distant human models visually sink into ground, instead of popping the terrain visual up. So if You see the hit on unit's head, it might be gut shot as well.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken (I might be so, so I apologize in advance).

Ok i'm happy to report the Hellfire missle fix works, my AI gunner is now hitting targets as he should.

I also noticed on the chopper in your test mission when the gunner is firing the turret the sound of the helicopter itself stops

So you don't hear the blades spinning anymore, i think it happens when you are hearing the effects of the turret rounds hitting the ground

Good to hear :)

We've just resolved problems with human only crews - there were some localty errors and a couple of other glitches.

Edited by zGuba

What I cant understand is how is it possible to have a single shot kill in 1200m when you have 2/10 in a big target at 600m. I can understand the wind physics but i believe that at such distances the dispresion is much less than the described! Wikipedia says:

# Average horizontal spread at 1,000 meters: 10.3 in (0.984 MOA)

# Average vertical spread at 1,000 meters: 14 in (1.337 MOA)

meaning that it will have an 0,30 m dispresion is acceptable but not 5 or more meters! And thats at 1000m!!! At 600 m it should be even less!!!

I am saying again that i have disabled wind drifting so I should be dealing with such accuracies! there is no logic or predictability where the shot will go!

Is it possible to make soldier breathe out instead of holding breath when shooting sniper?

I could post ticket (feature request) but I wont if this isn't possible...

Great addon. I still have to find a lot of content by myself, so much to explore :)

one question though - and don't take it as an insult - is it possible to use ACE 2 with the

vanilla arma loading screens? did not find any option yet.

Great addon. I still have to find a lot of content by myself, so much to explore :)

one question though - and don't take it as an insult - is it possible to use ACE 2 with the

vanilla arma loading screens? did not find any option yet.

It's explained in here somewhere, or it may be in the Beta 1 thread. I believe you remove the ace_c_ui_background.pbo or the ace_c_ui.pbo. It's one of the two.

I guess I was confused that we are beyond the 1.0 number (typically you don't number an application beyond 1.0 for a non-release beta but heck its a crazy world), and since 6 updater gives base options for "Vanilla" and "Beta" I assumed it was referencing released vs beta code. No biggie, thanks for the info and setting me straight. Looking forward to the release. :)

I have searched on water and swimming and inventory and all variations I can think of in this and previous threads, but I can't find any info on how to prevent soldiers losing their inventory while swimming. I see that it was supposedly removed in Vanilla patch 1.02 or .03, but I guess it was added back in because every time I swim, I lose my inventory.

Has ACE2 solved this problem? If so, how do I activate it so I don't lose my inventory when I HALO into water and try to swim to an objective?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys, my Space key no longer works for crouching. All of the sudden on the last update this happened. The key is fine in every other program and infact even works as 2xSPACE to get up. Wierd. Any such issues?

Thanks,

Mike.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

NVM guys. It has somthing to do with the server settings of the server I play on.

Hey guys, my Space key no longer works for crouching. All of the sudden on the last update this happened. The key is fine in every other program and infact even works as 2xSPACE to get up. Wierd. Any such issues?

Thanks,

Mike.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

NVM guys. It has somthing to do with the server settings of the server I play on.

The server probably had scanning (?) disabled, which was kind of annoying too for me as I used space for optics (I finally just changed it to a mouse button).

But anyways, I'm not sure that was an ACE thing, some missions do that too.

I'd like to see the mission that Stargazer is using to make his claim about poor accuracy.

For what it's worth, just fired up Kronzky's moving target range and did not see any problem with the accuracy of the M24. Aiming for the large pine at the end of the runway ~875m away I could reliably hit the trunk with the wind blowing in that mission at fairly rapid-fire rates. And while I cannot claim I hit the man walking briskly in variable winds at 850m every time, most folks would say a kill, next round almost a headshot, and then another kill would not be considered too bad.... :smiley-evil:

Is there any documentation for hellfires yet? Now the weapon selection system has changed back to vanilla, except I can't get my gunner to lock. As I a gunner, the one time my rocket hit the laser pointer left my mouth agape.

It's silly that the square in a circle HUD icon has been removed, because if you use the Cobra's cannon, it pops up on your screen, for a weapon which has no use for it. And by the way, is it right that the impacts from the aforementioned cannon sound like heavy bullets instead of BMP-type explosions?

And regarding sniper rifle accuracy, the AI can't aim for shit. A full-skill marine with an M107 expended most of his ammo on a group of NAPA fighters 400-500m away and scored a single kill. They hit him with AKs, for chrissakes.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/ace-mod2/wiki/Bugz

If ya have something to report. Include your rpt plz.

(It's getting very TEDIOUS to have to ask everyone over and over for their RPT)

Missile guidance documentation you can find in.... the documentation.

Very glad to hear :) The fixes are included with tonight's update. Edited by Sickboy

Could I make a suggestion regarding installation instructions?

Perhaps rename the "Lazy" method to something else? It seems that this method takes just as much time as the regular GUI method, and could actually be more confusing imo. People might try the "Lazy" method expecting it to be significantly faster and easier than the regular method... If im a new, computer illiterate user, I'd come to the Quickstart guide and see mention of a "lazy" method, and think "whoa, lazy quick install, neat!" and probably fall flat on my face as it takes more time, and effort, than just using the six updater GUI.

Consider maybe removing the optional step regarding downloading .7z packages... Despite the fact its "optional" there has been quite a few people attempting to do this step, failing, then posting here about it. Plus its very unneccesary imo also.... The six updater works very fast and given that the .7z packages are quite dated, a very large (maybe the whole?) data inside is outdated and needs updating anyway, so it probably doesnt have a positive impact on the overall speed of a first install.

A short, clear set of instructions make the whole process less intimidating than presenting the basic user with several options and alternatives. The updater has gotten a lot of negtive response as being overly complicated and/or hard to use... its not and never really was, in essence its very very simple to use, but it can be confusing. Perhaps have the "Quickstart" a basic 5 step: 'install updater -> start gui -> main -> vanilla profile -> execute'. Then an "Advanced" guide, mentioning use of the console method and optional .7z files?

I just thought there was a lot of documentation for something that can be a very simple process making it seem more complicated than it is :)

Thanks Tim. Would you mind writing it up?

I've at least removed the 7z download references. Even with all the changes, it would still allow Delta Patching to save bandwidth.

However, it does complicate things, and the network seems strong enough to hold up anyway.

Edited by Sickboy

Of course, anything I can do to help. We're all indebted to you guys!

I'll make an account on the wiki and see whats available to work with. PM me please if im on the wrong path!

I'll make an account on the wiki and see whats available to work with. PM me please if im on the wrong path!

Sounds great mate, thank you in advance!

I would suggest to create a new page for completely new/rearranged content, so that we can review it before replacing the original.

But simple edits / improvements, can be applied to the original.

Get on Skype also. Then link up with me.

If I'm not wrong there was another method in real life to launch hellfires.... Longbow radar can acquire imagine of target.... I mean helo can stay low than hover for example over an hill acquiring radar target image (multiple target system) then go down and start locking missiles on every single target and then shoot (one at time) all hellfires.... this is the special char of longbow radar. don't know is possible to do that with arma 2 but it would be very nice...;)

Get on Skype also. Then link up with me.

I think ive added you. Plz PM your skype ID if you havent got any contact list request from me ;)

Is there any documentation for hellfires yet? Now the weapon selection system has changed back to vanilla, except I can't get my gunner to lock. As I a gunner, the one time my rocket hit the laser pointer left my mouth agape.

It's silly that the square in a circle HUD icon has been removed, because if you use the Cobra's cannon, it pops up on your screen, for a weapon which has no use for it. And by the way, is it right that the impacts from the aforementioned cannon sound like heavy bullets instead of BMP-type explosions?

And regarding sniper rifle accuracy, the AI can't aim for shit. A full-skill marine with an M107 expended most of his ammo on a group of NAPA fighters 400-500m away and scored a single kill. They hit him with AKs, for chrissakes.

We added SOME documentation for the hellfires this last week. Specifically how to get the AI to target things. More on the way as I have time and more info.

re AI aiming... We really did not change that much if at all. Most of the alterations done to the AI were settings for how assertive they were and as best I can tell, no changes to algorithms used. So you should be able to adjust the skill of your sniper to laser-beam accuracy with the normal BI routines if you wish so.

If I'm not wrong there was another method in real life to launch hellfires.... Longbow radar can acquire imagine of target.... I mean helo can stay low than hover for example over an hill acquiring radar target image (multiple target system) then go down and start locking missiles on every single target and then shoot (one at time) all hellfires.... this is the special char of longbow radar. don't know is possible to do that with arma 2 but it would be very nice...;)

I've already mentioned ripple fire to the other ACE team members. Let us get the current targeting modes all working at 100% first. We made some awesome progress on that over the weekend. +5 for teamwork - although 4 ACE dudes flying/gunning at same time in choppers would be a very scary sight on a public server given how well we know the internals of the systems. :eek:

I think the power of the Javelin needs some work.

I've lost count of the number of times I hit a tank and it just drives off when clearly it shouldn't.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDxq-3UTZE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDxq-3UTZE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Reconnaissance / Attack Helicopter

This helo is the eyes and ears of Apache/Cobra attack helos. I think that ACE team would do such a great thing if they add this. Imagine how great would be a coop mission like Air Cav with this two helos at same time searching and destroying armors and infantry cleaning out cities... :yay::yay: