Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

Nothing preventing the AAW-stuff to be made ACE-compatible. Don't expect the ACE-team to include 50 terrabytes of addons just because the addons exist. Rather ask of the other addon-makers to make their stuff fully ACE-compatible. The ACE mod in its core is just the mechanics of the addon. All vehicles and weapons and stuff is just extra candy, just in the same way ACE-compatible AAW-stuff would be extra candy.

Well...i m sure u r right but we have a major (imho) issue here..

One of the MAIN reasons ppl i personally know loves ACE is

because of high adaptability in public servers,so no need for "binoculars"

to find a ACE compatible server to play a Domi or a mission in general.

I m afraid there are ppl among us..who doesn't like so much (as me also )M4/M16 series and wants other weps (FAMAS,STEYR,H&K etc)

BUT...

..those folks ALSO wants to find a server EASILY..without the use

of "Binoculars"...just like the regular ACE-compatible public servers..

;/

Can someone give me a short guide on using the HuntIR system? Seems when after firing the round and pulling up the display I get no signal, every time.

Can someone give me a short guide on using the HuntIR system? Seems when after firing the round and pulling up the display I get no signal, every time.

How long time do you allow it to search for a probe? It takes a bit of time, it doesn't happen instantly.

^^Yup. Kind of an M203 grenade shell with camera and chute inside. So it will after its arc/peak altitude (however high up that is) will deploy the chute and then the camera go online (or something like that). So fire it up......wait a bit......test PDA. If it doesnt link up first time - test again and it should link up.

^^Yup. Kind of an M203 grenade shell with camera and chute inside. So it will after its arc/peak altitude (however high up that is) will deploy the chute and then the camera go online (or something like that). So fire it up......wait a bit......test PDA. If it doesnt link up first time - test again and it should link up.

I've been using them quite a bit since I made myself finally try every ACE 2 feature yesterday. They do take a minute or so to work. But they are damn useful.

I'm wondering if there's a way to disable a single unit from fastroping when the ropes are deployed?

I have a Blackhawk loaded with a pilot and co-pilot and the co-pilot exits as soon as fastropes are deployed.

I would like to disable just that unit from fastroping.

Just downloaded the latest version of ACE2 and I'm playing it on ArmA 2 for the first time.

I really like it.

My only qualm is with the stamina system. I'm an infantryman with the US Army. I'd say that the average infantryman can do 20+ miles under the weight of an 80 kg load, including ruck without anything like taking a breather. I've been able to, and I've seen many others be able to, run (not sprint, run) under the same weight for 1/4 to 1/2 miles without collapsing and instead transitioning back to a brisk walk when they felt they could not run any further.

I feel that the stamina system needs to be adjusted. Last night I was playing a mission I was working on and I ran maybe 150 feet with an M4 + 8 magazines and a few other items and my player collapsed. I'm not sure what you are modelling the stamina off of but if a soldier or marine were THAT out of shape, they wouldn't pass their PT tests and definitely wouldn't get deployed; in fact, they might get discharged from the military.

If you can only run 50 meters with an M4 + 8 magazines something's wrong.

I thought so too. I didn't try to duplicate it, my player may have been injured when I attempted to do that. (Does injury affect a player's ability to sprint?)

I can do some testing today. But ultimately, my experiences throughout the day yesterday have shown that the stamina system needs a lot of revising, at least to make it realistic. Right now, it's almost like we have people out of shape serving in the military! And I know for a fact that is not the case!

First, remember that the weight shown on the gear screen is not the total weight you carry. It's just the stuff that you can see in the inventory. You need to add maybe 15-20 kilos for clothes, helmet, vest, body armor etc.

In the game you can jog (not sprint) for about those distances you mentioned with 30-35 kg showing on the gear screen (about 50 kg total). Sounds like you have to be really tough to do the same with 80 kg.

First, remember that the weight shown on the gear screen is not the total weight you carry. It's just the stuff that you can see in the inventory. You need to add maybe 15-20 kilos for clothes, helmet, vest, body armor etc.

In the game you can jog (not sprint) for about those distances you mentioned with 30-35 kg showing on the gear screen (about 50 kg total). Sounds like you have to be really tough to do the same with 80 kg.

Maybe the weight is off or something. Here's what I've been able to do in real life:

The Load:

In my ruck was 22 kg before ammo.

I was carrying an M240B. (12.5 kg)

700 rounds of belted ammunition for the M240B, distributed between my ruck and on my IBA in pouches, most of it was in the ruck (~22 kg)

M192 Tripod (5.2 kg)

My IBA with side plates (9.25 kg)

My MICH2000 (1.63 kg)

Uniform, boots, etc (2-3 kg)

75.58 kg total

With that on I was able to ruck march at a brisk walk with elongated steps for 21 miles. At the end of 21 miles I was able to run at an encumbered sprint for 1/2 mile and then I was able to return to the brisk walk.

With just my IBA, my weapon (M240B) about 300 rounds of ammo, I could easily run (not sprint) for 2-3 miles. I can sprint about 300 meters in the same equipment.

Ok, that information will be useful for the ACE team if they're going to tweak the stamina system.

I love that ACE2 has implemented the stamina system, but I agree it needs a bit of tweaking.

What I would personally like to see would be something along the lines of:

In 75kg total load you can "walk" (as in the in-game walk speed) for pretty much as long as you want.

In the same load, you can "sprint" about 300m, at which point instead of just going "oops I ran too much time to pass out" you exhibit signs of fatigue (heavy breathing, heart pounding in your ears, blurred vision, etc) drop back down to a walk, and you can not sprint anymore until your stamina builds back up.

Now, if you continue to walk, your stamina will build up slowly, if you sit, or lay down, it will build back up much faster.

Then implement a "force sprint" key, maybe attach it to the standard control for "Evasive Forward" so if you take fire while exhausted you can still sprint... Here's where the "pass out" type of effects we see now would come in. If you're forced to sprint, allow maybe 50 or 100m of "forced sprint" in your exhausted state, then you start to experience the blacking out effect, gasping for air, and eventually fall over.

I think this would be a bit more realistic, because in real life you wouldn't just run till you passed out, and if you really needed to sprint out of the line of fire (until you had absolutely no energy left and just passed out) you would push yourself that hard under adrenaline until you do just that.

I think having a system where you get "tired" and slow down, but can force yourself to use up the last of your energy to the point you pass out if absolutely necessary, is better than just having it use up all your energy and fall over and seems a bit more realistic to me.

Edited by Pyrodox

I love that ACE2 has implemented the stamina system, but I agree it needs a bit of tweaking.

What I would personally like to see would be something along the lines of:

In 75kg total load you can "walk" (as in the in-game walk speed) for pretty much as long as you want.

In the same load, you can "sprint" about 300m, at which point instead of just going "oops I ran too much time to pass out" you exhibit signs of fatigue (heavy breathing, heart pounding in your ears, blurred vision, etc) drop back down to a walk, and you can not sprint anymore until your stamina builds back up.

Now, if you continue to walk, your stamina will build up slowly, if you sit, or lay down, it will build back up much faster.

Then implement a "force sprint" key, maybe attach it to the standard control for "Evasive Forward" so if you take fire while exhausted you can still sprint... Here's where the "pass out" type of effects we see now would come in. If you're forced to sprint, allow maybe 50 or 100m of "forced sprint" in your exhausted state, then you start to experience the blacking out effect, gasping for air, and eventually fall over.

I think this would be a bit more realistic, because in real life you wouldn't just run till you passed out, and if you really needed to sprint out of the line of fire (until you had absolutely no energy left and just passed out) you would push yourself that hard under adrenaline until you do just that.

I think having a system where you get "tired" and slow down, but can force yourself to use up the last of your energy to the point you pass out if absolutely necessary, is better than just having it use up all your energy and fall over and seems a bit more realistic to me.

I like it!

That would be nice, but as has been discussed before there is no feature in ArmA 2 that can be used to force the player to slow down and be unable to run but still walk. The only thing available is the "fall down and cannot walk any more" thing that happens when you are wounded in the legs. That's why this is used for the ACE stamina system.

Face still keeps reverting to default face after you put on mask or glasses. Who else has this problem? If you do no't how did you fix it?

Face still keeps reverting to default face after you put on mask or glasses. Who else has this problem? If you do no't how did you fix it?

I made a ticket about it at DH some time ago. But i think it might not be fixable. I use BIS stock camo face and glasses through the "face" entry in the MyName.Profile file. And after using any face gear it doesnt go back to that info again. Im guessing its not possible.

Well...i m sure u r right but we have a major (imho) issue here..

One of the MAIN reasons ppl i personally know loves ACE is

because of high adaptability in public servers,so no need for "binoculars"

to find a ACE compatible server to play a Domi or a mission in general.

I m afraid there are ppl among us..who doesn't like so much (as me also )M4/M16 series and wants other weps (FAMAS,STEYR,H&K etc)

BUT...

..those folks ALSO wants to find a server EASILY..without the use

of "Binoculars"...just like the regular ACE-compatible public servers..

;/

Sorry but you are looking at the wrong team for solutions for that.

At first this is a responsibility of server owners and players, a second is initiatives like YOMA Addon Sync and Six Updater Suite, that try to aid in these matters.

A lot of people seem to think we're about adding as much as possible, so that everyone can just join a server, with any gear and anything that's out there, a big "All in one mod".

Sorry, but we are not. Have a look at the Goals/Scope, for details :)

On the stamina issue, I'm getting some weird results. Is stamina based solely on weight?

There might be some bugs involved here.

I made a test mission on Utes, running down the middle of the runway. I used the rangefinder to confirm distances.

I'm using 75kg as a base, since someone has stated here before what they are capable of having actually carried that weight themselves.

I allowed 14kg for armor, helmet, uniform, etc. Leaving me with 61kg of weight to carry in my inventory.

Using the run key, not sprint, I was able to run about 350m with 61kg (plus 14kg theoretical "hidden" weight) totaling 75kg carrying 3 mines and 2 satchel charges and a GPS in my inventory.

Now, here's the weird part. When I carry 3 mines, a rangefinder, battery, a satchel charge, 4 claymores and 2 grenades, all totaling 61kg again (plus 14kg theoretical "hidden" weight, again, exactly the same weight stated in my inventory as the previous test totaling 75kg) I can only run 215m, again using the run key.

So, this brings to question, is the displayed weight and the weight used to calculate the stamina effects on the unit different based on gear, even though both sets of gear are displayed as weighing an equal amount?

Terrain has an impact as well AFAIK. Walking upwards a hill will make you tired faster. Also if your crouch walking youll get tired faster if i remember it correctly.

Terrain has an impact as well AFAIK. Walking upwards a hill will make you tired faster. Also if your crouch walking youll get tired faster if i remember it correctly.

The test was done on the Utes runway, I stopped and restarted the mission between each run. I even went as far as exiting the game and restarting it before each run.

I'm an infantryman with the US Army. I'd say that the average infantryman can do 20+ miles under the weight of an 80 kg load, including ruck without anything like taking a breather.

Yuka, nice to see some info from a direct source, as I was just discussing the US Army field package weights with a friend the other day.

Just to double check, as I want to make sure I'm not misquoting in the future :): Are you sure that those weights are in kilograms and not pounds?

Hey there, theres been great work on ACE2 so far and myslef and our clan are really enjoying it, however we have hit a problem with the mod which has prevented us from playing our large scale games with ACE. The problem seems to be what we have been able to make out is some kind of memory leak when the server will gradully degrade (depending on the number of players) and evetually leading to a crash. We have comfirmed without any doupt it is ace casuing it as we have run tests without ace on large scale ops and have none of these issues. I know thats its been reported on dev heaven however it looks like its been put back several times, I was just wondering if you have been getitng close whatsoever to finding and cureing the problem within the mod. Thanks, and great work on the mod so far :)

If you need to know our server specs they are as follows (we have also monitored the dedi in these tests and the hardware is not being stressed out either)

Quad Core Intel Xeon E5430, 4 x 2.66GHz, 12MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB, 45nm technology (Harpertown Core)

4GB ECC 667MHz Ram (2x2GB Dual Rank DIMMs)