Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

A question on the whole ACE2 paradigm: is the intention that ACE2 is a whole take-it-or-leave-it solution, or will ACE2 eventually have some level of customisation and modularity? There is lots for me to get excited about in ACE2, but the few things that I don't like I wish I could simply switch off.

Like you wish you had more stamina? i was hoping i could get a hypodermic needle for my stamina... been searching all the boxes

Like you wish you had more stamina? i was hoping i could get a hypodermic needle for my stamina... been searching all the boxes

More like I wish I could lose whole swathes of features, not because I think they're poor (they are generally well implemented) but because I don't wish to have them in my SP and private MP gameplay :)

If I ask anything of you guys at Ace! The one thing I want to ask is sorting out the way stuff is on fire.

Currently compared to vanilla Arma the fire looks really bad, on top of the vehicles etc. Even when running JTD alongside it seems way too bright yellow/white and doesn't look real anymore. However the actual explosions when a vehicle explodes look v.good so don't go changing them!

I'm running the game maxed, so I'm pretty sure it's not my quality settings!

Great work anyway, once the memory leak is fixed large scale operations will be fun once more :)

Edited by rexehuk

Are you pressing the right windows key or holding the right windows key down?

Both. Normally I just go up to a player and tap the key and it comes up with various options. But now when I hit it it just flashes and goes away. Plus there's no options that I can see in that quick flash, it's an empty wheel. If I hold it it flashes like usual. Occasionally, it does work but most of the time tapping the key just causes the wheel to flash and go away.

Could it be that your right windows key might be sticking, though i haven't yet had it happen to me. Have you tried completely uninstalling the mods and reinstalling?

A question on the whole ACE2 paradigm: is the intention that ACE2 is a whole take-it-or-leave-it solution, or will ACE2 eventually have some level of customisation and modularity? There is lots for me to get excited about in ACE2, but the few things that I don't like I wish I could simply switch off.

ACE is described as a total conversion mod. In that sense it's take-it-or-leave-it. With the caveat that we do allow for a number of features to be turned off or parameters adjusted. The idea is to be flexible, within reasonable limits. Acknowledging that our definition of "reasonable" might not suit everyone, but someone has to draw a line somewhere or there is complete anarchy.

One thing you should NOT do is rip out files unless specifically told that file is ok to zap and only for short-term solutions ( aka bug-related issue ). There are inter-dependancies between systems in ACE that are not always obvious to the outsider. Zapping files can result in very bad or very wierd behavior. It's not because we are being vicious SOB's ( I save that for actual gameplay :smiley-evil:), just due to trying to avoid duplication of work and the nightmare of definitions/functions that could get out of sync otherwise.

So if you think something reasonable needs a switch, just file a ...

Well - you know the lecture.

ACE is described as a total conversion mod. In that sense it's take-it-or-leave-it. With the caveat that we do allow for a number of features to be turned off or parameters adjusted. The idea is to be flexible, within reasonable limits. Acknowledging that our definition of "reasonable" might not suit everyone, but someone has to draw a line somewhere or there is complete anarchy.

One thing you should NOT do is rip out files unless specifically told that file is ok to zap and only for short-term solutions ( aka bug-related issue ). There are inter-dependancies between systems in ACE that are not always obvious to the outsider. Zapping files can result in very bad or very wierd behavior. It's not because we are being vicious SOB's ( I save that for actual gameplay :smiley-evil:), just due to trying to avoid duplication of work and the nightmare of definitions/functions that could get out of sync otherwise.

So if you think something reasonable needs a switch, just file a ...

Well - you know the lecture.

Thanks for the answer, I guess it was pretty much what I already knew :)

I understand the total-modification paradigm, so as to "standardise" online gameplay, but also I think ArmA2 represents flexibility, and a popular (some might say almost ubiquitous ;)) conversion that removes flexibility because of a perceived realism-standardisation, reduces choice. I might suggest (via the you-know-what ;)) that every game changing feature in ACE2 be subject to server-side config. I might also suggest that most realism features be disable by default, to be enabled by server hosts/admins as required. Player-realism features can impact severely (and sometimes negatively) for a lot of people who wish to use the AI and other ACE2 enhancements, and there's no need for that to happen when choice via config is introduced.

IMO, gameplay and flexibility should come first, even with such a realism-mod as ACE. I think ACE has a responsibility to provide choice, not restriction, in ArmA2 :)

someone has to draw a line somewhere or there is complete anarchy.

Complete anarchy is removed when you introduce server config.

But one of the nice things you get with the current way, enforcing the whole package, is that you pretty much know what youre going to get when you hop onto a ACE server in terms of teamplay. People work together seemingly a lot better with ACE vs vanilla. Even going onto a server playing Domination - infamous for people pretty much solo playing - and theres going to be, to a certain extent, a good deal of teamwork. Now imagine if, for example, a server could disable the stamina system and keep the ruck system. You know theres going to be some ass running around with a SMAW/Javelin and enough rounds for it to take out a tank batallion and a sniper rifle with thousands of rounds of ammo.

Theres still no LESS choice when it comes to playing ACE, vanilla doesnt let you enable/disable anything that ACE has removed the choice to. Every aspect is improved with ACE. You still have the choice to NOT play the mod.

Asking for most realism features be turned off by default MIGHT just cross that reasonable line. Better would be to call out specific items that are cause for concern among the bulk of the player base.

Certainly adding more server-side options is worthy of contemplation though.

But one of the nice things you get with the current way, enforcing the whole package, is that you pretty much know what youre going to get when you hop onto a ACE server in terms of teamplay. People work together seemingly a lot better with ACE vs vanilla. Even going onto a server playing Domination - infamous for people pretty much solo playing - and theres going to be, to a certain extent, a good deal of teamwork. Now imagine if, for example, a server could disable the stamina system and keep the ruck system. You know theres going to be some ass running around with a SMAW/Javelin and enough rounds for it to take out a tank batallion and a sniper rifle with thousands of rounds of ammo.

Theres still no LESS choice when it comes to playing ACE, vanilla doesnt let you enable/disable anything that ACE has removed the choice to. Every aspect is improved with ACE. You still have the choice to NOT play the mod.

That's absolutely true. I could see why some people may want to disable stuff in SP games though. It would be nice in that sense. I haven't considered disabling anything in my SP missions though. Personally I love everything ACE2 offers, others may not though.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Could it be that your right windows key might be sticking, though i haven't yet had it happen to me. Have you tried completely uninstalling the mods and reinstalling?

No. It's not sticking. To be honest I think something in my mission is causing it. Not uninstalling, it will work. I can feel it. ;)

But, if that's how the server admin wishes it to be, why not allow him that? I don't see the value in reducing choice. In some other post I mentioned that perhaps fatigue can be disabled, but forced on just for rucks. That could work as an option yes? People could play as per normal but not use rucks as mobile ammo boxes. My guess is that most servers using ACE would use the default config, but I still say always make it the option. Often in SP I don't wish to be restricted by some things, and I would wish for flexibility.

I agree, but why force it? Have a default config that's identical to the current release if necessary, but at least provide the options.

And, I don't agree with the notion that one of the choices you have is NOT to use the mod, that's a nihilistic approach and doesn't forward the discussion ;)

That's absolutely true. I could see why some people may want to disable stuff in SP games though. It would be nice in that sense. I haven't considered disabling anything in my SP missions though. Personally I love everything ACE2 offers, others may not though.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

No. It's not sticking. To be honest I think something in my mission is causing it. Not uninstalling, it will work. I can feel it. ;)

Well if you'd like, send me the mission (PM me to get my email) and I'll see if it happens to me too.

I don't see the value in reducing choice.

I do, so that you experience the hard work of the mod team as they intended you to.

Instead of trying to get stuff removed or turned off, why not try and play the mod with its full features and learn to play the system it sets.

Well if you'd like, send me the mission (PM me to get my email) and I'll see if it happens to me too.

I do, so that you experience the hard work of the mod team as they intended you to.

Instead of trying to get stuff removed or turned off, why not try and play the mod with its full features and learn to play the system it sets.

Here it is:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93837

Yup, another shameless mission plug. :rolleyes:

Asking for most realism features be turned off by default MIGHT just cross that reasonable line. Better would be to call out specific items that are cause for concern among the bulk of the player base.

Certainly adding more server-side options is worthy of contemplation though.

Yeah - that did cross the line, I won't be making that recommendation :) of course, the server config must be released in the state that ACE2 is designed to be in, my bad on that.

But, I maintain the notion of total server config choice :)

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I place config options in my own mods, why do you imagine that I would do that?

I'm not trying to get anything removed or turned off. I'm requesting serverside choice and flexibility. I AM currently playing the mod with it's full features and learning the system, seeing as there is no other option :) what I'm requesting is server flexibility. If you didn't realise it, server flexibility means that I as a SP player can set things to my own tastes and requirements.

when i am in a harrier and i have a "friend" that is lase a tank and i fly over (alt 500 ,speed +/-200) and i drop a bomb, or do i doing something wrong ?

or is there no diffence with ACE and the "standard" arma .

Btw i also use MMA mod of Mando

when i am in a harrier and i have a "friend" that is lase a tank and i fly over (alt 500 ,speed +/-200) and i drop a bomb, or do i doing something wrong ?

or is there no diffence with ACE and the "standard" arma .

Btw i also use MMA mod of Mando

Is your "friend" the AI? I think you still need to script something but I don't know for sure. Curious to know though.

Hmm if you're on the ground and have a target painted, any laser guided capable AI aircraft will automatically engage it. If you have an AI on the ground lasing a target (Set waypoint on the target to "Destroy) then you will get the target appear in your HUD.

Hmm if you're on the ground and have a target painted, any laser guided capable AI aircraft will automatically engage it. If you have an AI on the ground lasing a target (Set waypoint on the target to "Destroy) then you will get the target appear in your HUD.

Got it! Oooh that's nice. I'll have to add a few planes in my next mission. Thanks for the info.

Is your "friend" the AI? I think you still need to script something but I don't know for sure. Curious to know though.

my friend is a player ;)

Every time I try to join a server while using ACE I get the same error message :

"You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.fromz_tracked, oh2_wheeled"

Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks

Edit : Fixed

Edited by SgtJp

Yep, get the ACEX_PLA addon, adds the People's Liberation Army of China. :)

Well I think I already have it installed :confused:

If not, where can I download it?

Edited by SgtJp

But one of the nice things you get with the current way, enforcing the whole package, is that you pretty much know what youre going to get when you hop onto a ACE server in terms of teamplay. People work together seemingly a lot better with ACE vs vanilla. Even going onto a server playing Domination - infamous for people pretty much solo playing - and theres going to be, to a certain extent, a good deal of teamwork.

Really? I cant say I've noticed anything of the sort in Domination. 90%+ still carry a sniper rifle and AT, some even carry sniper rifle, AT, backpack and a whole lot more equipment that they can in vanilla thus insuring their longevity far away from any supply or teammate.

At best maybe you're seeing an effect from players willing to dedicate a little more time in the game (ie download a mod) and those are usually willing to do a little more teamwork. And the same goes for servers running ACE of course.

That said, its still the best mission for new toys. Cant get my trusty FN FAL in those "realistic" missions ;)