Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

Are there any plans to fix the horrible wind?

lol

try the .50 cal assassination mission, from Call of Duty 4...

Having problem with sniping?? :D

In short, yes. They keep adding all this stuff to canculate wind, but the wind shifts every 3 seconds and drastically changes speed every 1/4 a second so it's impossible for even the fastest person to calculate, aim, and shoot.

Wind is quite constant generally, it might gust at times, but it doesn't constantly change directions. Hell, even in a damn storm it is more constant than in this game.

Wind should stay quite constant for periods and rarely change major directions. I was trying to practice earlier, did my calculations, and prepared to shoot and the wind went from southeast to northwest instantly. Then it went to west, then it went to north, then to strong south. It makes no sense what-so-ever and it ruins sniping.

I really quite frankly, don't understand in the least what the heck they were thinking when they made it the way it is.

Using latest ace... noticed when i fire a mg for a while i lose all sound... but still have menu sound... running around for like 5 minutes with no sound is really annoying and stupid i think... could the loss of sound not be made much shorter or add a ringing noise for a few seconds? :( !

Where you a non-mg class? The machinegunner carry ear plugs by default, but the other classes dont. Forget about using a machinegun without ear plugs ;)

They are in the ammo boxes. Unless of course its one of those stupid missions where the designer gives you a free reign over weapons but no ammo box with ear plugs in it :rolleyes:

@Linelor:

LSZH 110220Z 06008KT 030V100 5000 -SN FEW020 BKN026 M06/M11 Q1022 8829//99 NOSIG

Really? :)

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MetarReport

Bah, bad example first one, so I found this instead.

Also note a couple of other things:

1) A sniper team needs to understand that wind changes downrange as well. Wind conditions at target location not being the same as the final firing position. Wind effects can change quite drastically over extremely local conditions.

2) A sniper team is, well, a team. Get your spotter to inform you just when the conditions are just perfect for the setup shot.

3) Meteorological conditions are important to a sniper team to understand. Arma is in fact very very simplified.

I agree that the wind variability in Arma2 can seem excessive, but the wind force is anything but excessive. As Arma2 lacks all the other real world things to think about, I don't mind how a little wind makes a shot more difficult. You're the sniper. If the conditions doesn't allow the shot, get closer (and all the bad things that brings to the table).

No, I'm a SAW man so I don't need to worry about wind much. If you can't handle the sniping winds, maybe you should give the SAW a try? :D

you need to go to your Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\userconfig\ACE\ace_clientside_config and change the identity section to your user profile.

i did that ofcourse. i think my problem is not related to that. read the my post again. i said i can use the masks or balaclava etc. when i use them, my face turns to default face. i didn't say that i couldn't use them.

In short, yes. They keep adding all this stuff to canculate wind, but the wind shifts every 3 seconds and drastically changes speed every 1/4 a second so it's impossible for even the fastest person to calculate, aim, and shoot.

Wind is quite constant generally, it might gust at times, but it doesn't constantly change directions. Hell, even in a damn storm it is more constant than in this game.

Wind should stay quite constant for periods and rarely change major directions. I was trying to practice earlier, did my calculations, and prepared to shoot and the wind went from southeast to northwest instantly. Then it went to west, then it went to north, then to strong south. It makes no sense what-so-ever and it ruins sniping.

I really quite frankly, don't understand in the least what the heck they were thinking when they made it the way it is.

The wind is quite nasty, true. What distances do you try to shoot? At 1500m it sure is difficult, even more in RL. In game we only have bullet drop, wind and what else?

I used to shoot 400-800m in vanilla arma without sight adjustments with a good hit percentage. Still getting hits up to 600m without major problems. The only problem is the "über" AI who can detect you even if you are dug in 6 feet deep. :(

It got worse with the latest version playing Bennys Warfare.

Edited by Enforcer1975

Latest ACE version give me some weird stuff when using battlefield clearance module and AEwounding system module. Dragging a wounded AI made him start spinning high speed around my feet and i pissed myself from laughter. I then later tried carry one and he did breakdancing on my head (spinning around my head) haha.

I never really knew exactlly what the situation was so i havent ticket this. Need to check it more.

Don't use Any default medic modules with the Æ wounds module.

@Wind: Wind is default arma2 wind, nothing's been done to it apart from making it affect bullets AFAIK.

Take note that if there's no wind whatsoever, the wind direction arrow will spin around like a compass at the LHC.

The wind is not messing me up personally. Ive learned to snipe real far and do 1 shot 1 kill. The only real problem here is as stated - even with silencer the AI find me too quick. In vanilla ARMA this works real good. But i guess making them more alert in combat might affects this also(?).

Awesome rifles, awesome units and you lie there trying to be a good lil' sniper, but the AI sniff you out too quick and you have to leg it. You dont feel so cool by then. :D

Im sure ACE team gets this perfect sooner or later. Just a matter of time. ;)

EDIT: Vking, Ah! Thanks man.

I posted a ticket about my problem with it locking up my system and coming back with all kinds of missing addon errors. So i deleted ACE from the system and tried to start fresh. Now i get this when i try to load arma

Untitled-2-1.jpg

I still get lock ups in all my campaigns, but now it locks up without ACE enabled in the main menu. What the hell is going on here, its starting to get annoying now.

You can't run any of the ace mods without CBA. Make sure the latest version is installed and loaded.

Frankly, it would be great if you would just add the details to the ticket (Where we already responded, and are awaiting your RPT).

It's already very hard to keep track of an issue in this thread, never mind if you're going to post everywhere a piece of the puzzle.

If this continues in the rate it's happening now, I am afraid I will have to stop visiting the thread all together.

Actually im at that point already. Good luck guys, see you at the issue tracker if you have serious issues.

The constant need to repeat replies (even to the same persons), the issue tracker, rpt files, log files, or even the most basic usages or configurations of the mods.. No more.

Edited by Sickboy

Why i can't hear any radio commands while i'm using Ace 2? Can someone help, please?

You can't run any of the ace mods without CBA. Make sure the latest version is installed and loaded.

Frankly, it would be great if you would just add the details to the ticket (Where we already responded, and are awaiting your RPT).

Firstly CBA is installed, activated and always worked fine until i updated to 1.98, secondly ACE no longer activates at all in my arma 2 and everything is still crashing or missing addons since the 1.98 I really don't want to have to reinstall arma to get everything working again and chance downloading ACE again. And secondly there is nothing in that support ticket link that i can see that answers my question. Just me posting my problem with no reply, unless im missing something it isnt very clear on how to get an answer on the support ticket page

Why i can't hear any radio commands while i'm using Ace 2? Can someone help, please?

And the next example... why even bother to look into the FAQ when it's easier to register and ask here.

I can understand Sickboy.

Xeno

Hi ACE TEAM!

Some people want to see Swiss Armory 2.0, ACE compatible.

Can you tell me what I should do about it?

thank you in advance.

regards

Firstly CBA is installed, activated and always worked fine until i updated to 1.98, secondly ACE no longer activates at all in my arma 2 and everything is still crashing or missing addons since the 1.98 I really don't want to have to reinstall arma to get everything working again and chance downloading ACE again. And secondly there is nothing in that support ticket link that i can see that answers my question. Just me posting my problem with no reply, unless im missing something it isnt very clear on how to get an answer on the support ticket page
That which is in the ticket at this time is a link to a page that describes how you make a proper bug report. You report is missing crucial information regarding your problem. There is NO way for anyone to help you with what scarce information you've provided in that ticket so far.

OK, so where exactly should I post my question 'how to enable crosshair in ACE2' in order not to be totally ignored?

Many thanks

Mandrake

And the next example... why even bother to look into the FAQ when it's easier to register and ask here.

I can understand Sickboy.

Xeno

It's absolutely ridiculous you guys have to put up with all that garbage. It's a shame people can't do a thread search for their questions that have already been answered a bunch of times. I feel for you guys.

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

OK, so where exactly should I post my question 'how to enable crosshair in ACE2' in order not to be totally ignored?

Many thanks

Mandrake

No need to even ask, just search. That's been discussed.

And that's their point.

When you downloaded the .zip files did you put them in the Six Updater folder or the ArmA 2 folder, they should be in the Six Updater folder.

Did you add the Ace mods to your command line, alternatively you can use an launcher program that makes it easier like this one:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6649

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Yes transferred the folders into the Six updater GUI folder,,, Still nothing.

And what and where would the command line be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice if someone could provide a link with detailed info on how to set it all up correctly inside XP, Vista etc.

Can anybody provide this??

Many thanks:)

LOL - that's a gem right after Sickboys post :)

I would say that I agree with all what is being said here, although maybe slap a FAQ of the most obviously asked all the time questions in the first post in massive red wording under a spoiler tag (even though you have a link im referring to the most obvious ones asked here for even more spoon feeding ref (hehe) and then lock the thread as a sticky :)

Mind you the thread is a victim of its own success, and lets not forget this is a new thread from the first beta so not sure where that search data will be (?) .. general users should reply on the dev teams behalf over here I would say.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Many thanks

Mandrake

You will be ignored because that a "frequently asked question" and a complete RTFM response, the links in the fist post source all this info. It may seem harsh or ignorant at first but imagine if everyone did the same, this thread would be a massive long endless list of the same infinite information request loop :)

I think the ACE team devs feel they need to help and sickboy seems to be very helpfull and posts as much as possible but as they are the makers and are busy fixing and updating. Maybe us mere users should moderate this thread and simply link on behalf of the team when needed and assume ACE team are only contactable via deavheaven and tickets only.

Whenever its an RTFM post a link to the first post with "all information is here" on every other question maybe :)

Edited by mrcash2009

@Sickboy

Sorry to ask another question, but I didnt find any info anywhere about it.

I ve got the polish version of ArmA II. I play it with the patch that converts it to english. (from Wiper). ACE is in polish. How can I switch (force) ACE to be in english. What file do I have to change?