Sign in to follow this  
madbull

[R3F] Revive : A lightweight and efficient revive

No, it isn't.

Only medics can revive.

Realism and lightweightness needs.

This might have already been asked, but can you get this running in SP too? even if it takes learning some more scripting on my part (gotta learn it anyway :D) - I was also wondering if it's still working in OA?

I was also wondering if it's still working in OA?

Yes.

This might have already been asked, but can you get this running in SP too?

If you have a medic in your team, do this :

- escape to close the respawn dialog during few seconds

- backspace > 0 > 4 to request a medic (do it quickly because the dialog will reopen)

Only medics can revive.

Realism and lightweightness needs.

When "realism" hinders functional gameplay, that's a problem. A system which requires a medic to work is a flawed system, in many ways. I'm pretty sure non-Medics have saved people's lives through the power of medicine many times over the course of human history. Shame that the mantra of "realism" prevents this revive system from being useful in that way.

I'm pretty sure non-Medics have saved people's lives

It's obvious.

But the [R3F] Revive is extremely lightweight and stable in a technical point of view due to the usage of this arma's "heal" action. And thiis action is only available for medics.

BTW, I'm not sure that the best medic of the world can revive a dead body. The revive does.

Hey R3F team.

I was using your Revive system in A2 and never had any problems using it, but now when I use it in OA I have a problem that when i die i get the black screen but no respawn button or that blury red view, it just stays at the black screen. I hope there is some simple thing i have oversee.

thank you for the great and simple revive you gave us to use.

greats

Nuddist

The blurry effect is no more present in OA (thanks BIS to ignore the backward compatibility from arma 2 stuff to OA).

But you should still get the red effect and the respawn button.

If you're sure you didn't make a mistake, please send me your mission file. I will check if there is a bug or not.

My email adress is in the readme file of the revive.

@Nuddist : Mission received in the mailbox

The revive works fine on your mission.

But you've got several problems :

- I got low FPS on your mission (too many objects and/or heavy scripts)

- There are some scripting errors

- The x_playerweaponsOA.sqf is redundant with the revive because the revive is yet a "respawn weapon script".

thanks for the fast reply. i know there is still to much on this mission, but i'm still working on it to clean the unimportant stuff. I deleted the playerweapons and it works perfeclty now. thank you a lot

greats

OK, I asked the mods to delete my thread asking about this problem after someone pointed out to me that there's actually a thread about the script! ;)

OK, so here's my problem:

I'm trying out the R3F Revive script but I'm getting some STRANGE issues. I uploaded it to the server to test it with a friend and it worked perfectly the first time. We shot eachother and revived, and it all worked flawlessly.

Then we disconnected and tried to enter the other soldiers' spots to see if the arty thing works there too, but suddenly we spawned as birds (having fully quit the mission). It keeps telling us "briefing.sqf not found" which is nonsense because it's in the mission folder. I figured it might have something to do with the two different buttons you get when picking a mission ("Continue" and "Play again") but the play again button won't do anything so Continue is our only option.

When I try to load it either puts me back in the unit selection screen (after a few seconds of waiting for host) or spawns me as a bird and trust me, that stuff gets old fast. :P

So far I've restarted the server, re-exported the mission and tried to restart the mission serverside, but no luck.

Anyone got any idea why it suddenly won't work anymore? (it worked perfectly the first time but now it won't work whatever we do)

The same person who pointed out to me that the post should go somewhere else, also said

You need to #missions again once you've started a mission in order to get it to fully reset. Just disconnecting and reconnecting isn't enough.

However, I have restarted not only the mission, but also the entire server. I have also removed the mission from the server and re-uploaded it, but we still seem to get stuck in the 'bird'.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that "briefing.sqf not found" but since the briefing.sqf is in the mission folder I don't know what it's going on about.

@Von_Lipwig :

I understood the description of your problem.

I think you have a problem with your file description.ext

It must exist in the PBO and must contain the following lines :

Respawn = "BASE";
RespawnDelay = 6;
RespawnDialog = 0;

#include "R3F_revive\dlg_attente_reanimation.h"

Your "briefing.sqf not found" problem probably means that the PBO doesn't correctly pack all the files of the mission. It can occur sometimes with the mission editor (in special cases).

Use the CPBO software (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=411) and unpack your mission PBO. Check if all is right (i.e. description.ext, briefing.sqf and so on).

When "realism" hinders functional gameplay, that's a problem. A system which requires a medic to work is a flawed system, in many ways. I'm pretty sure non-Medics have saved people's lives through the power of medicine many times over the course of human history. Shame that the mantra of "realism" prevents this revive system from being useful in that way.

@ Kylania

noone is forcing you to use this revive mate - madbull and R3f have built it in the way that suits them and if you don't like it - don't use it.

@ Kylania

noone is forcing you to use this revive mate - madbull and R3f have built it in the way that suits them and if you don't like it - don't use it.

Which is why I don't. ;) It's still important to let madbull know that his choice to design it that way is limiting his userbase, especially since making it a toggle is trivial.

We are aware that many users would like non-medic players able to revive.

Maybe we will re-study the question. But at the moment we have many other stuff more important.

Would be neat to have it available for all units. IMO it would be fairly easy to loose medic dependancy and change little in terms of being lightweight.

- Add a custom "Heal" action to the unit upon the killed eventhandler, triggering the same function you're now using in handleHeal.

- Remove the handleHeal eventhandler

(Optional: add a "only_medics_allowed" check if the unit calling the heal action is a medic, that way you retain the possibility to only use medics)

Edited by Murklor

The latest OA beta patch has those script commands that you mentioned in the opening post.

ARMA 2: OA Beta 72716

[72701] New: getWeaponCargo, getMagazineCargo, getBackpackCargo script commands

[72698] Experimental: TCMalloc used as a memory allocator.

Edited by ziiip
typo

The latest OA beta patch has those script commands that you mentioned in the opening post.

Yes ziiip. I saw that last night and it's already scheduled in my planning.

Soon the revive will be able to restore the backpack.

Thanks for the info.

@Murklor :

Your analyse is good despite there are many specific case/exception to handle.

It's currently out of scope in my schedule.

Would be nice if you replace those spawn {//code} blocks with precompiled functions (and probably more).

Xeno

New version release v1.4 :

The backpack and its content are restored after respawn

And other improvements...

The revive is still compatible with AA2, AA:OA and AA:CO.

Changelog :

v1.4

- Added : the backpack and its content are restored after respawn

- Fixed : player altitude when waiting for revive (in buildings, ...)

- Improved : the player is no longer artificially hurted at the respawn position

- Improved : code and documentation improvements

Download the [R3F] Revive and its demo.

Hey madbull,one question ?!

Is it possible for you to make a version like this.

-if get hurt under 80% = no unconscius

-if get hurt 80 - 99 % = unconscius and revive possible

-if get hurt 100% = dead no revive possible

This would be awesome and it would fit perfect into our mission.

Cause if you shot a player and hey lays down unconscius you cant kill him to dead.Maybe its easy for you to make....:confused:

Muecke

These kind of systems are not exactly a revive I think... but a heal/medic/first aid one.

Maybe there is a BIS' module which already do that.

I have no time to try an implementation ;-)

It was made in the spirit of a coop mission.

Am I to assume that while unconscious, I can radio for the AI bots that I am inured or call for support and they will does this for me?

The video you have for demonstration looks like two players, rather than a player goes down and a bot.

If you have medic AI in your team, you can call it. (Escape -> Backspace -> menu 0/0/4).

He will revive you.

In the video, all US Marines are real players.